Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

C.E Juncker World War War I German Pilots Badge - Robert Tuxen engraved

Article about: Hi folks. New to this forum so please be nice. I have managed to acquire a German WWI Pilots Badge through a joblot of misc items I purchased on eBay recently. It has been made by C.E. Junke

Default C.E Juncker World War War I German Pilots Badge - Robert Tuxen engraved

Hi folks.

New to this forum so please be nice.

I have managed to acquire a German WWI Pilots Badge through a joblot of misc items I purchased on eBay recently. It has been made by C.E. Junker and has been stamped on the reverse with the crescent and '800' silver content.

I have done quite a bit of research on the badge and Iam reasonably confident it is an original. Going by the tell tale signs to watch out for on this forum and other sites my badge seems to show all the signs of being a good original badge. No crown has been included on the reverse, the pin is in a good condition, the well on the back is deep and 'bun' shaped, the crescent is a good shape and the front of the badge has equisite detail.

The other interesting aspect is that it has the name 'Robert Tuxen' on the reverse with the date '1917'. i have researched and found out he was indeed a pilot during WWI and was part of the Red Barons 'Flying Circus' In fact I have managed to find several images of Tuxen in his plane and with the Red Baron. I understand he was shot down in 1917 and died of his injuries in 1918 in a German hospital.

I do not collect items like this but Iam very interested to find out peoples thoughts on the badge and whether it could in fact be an original badge. I would also request people opinions on the best place to sell such an item? eBAy, auction house etc?

Please note Iam at work at the moment but I will post some images tonight when I get home.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement C.E Juncker World War War I German Pilots Badge - Robert Tuxen engraved
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: C.E Juncker World War War I German Pilots Badge - Robert Tuxen engraved

If that medal is genuine, then it belonging to a member of the von Richthofen jastas (Tuxen was in Jasta 6) gives it quite some provenence (and value). I would seek out one of the higher-profile auction houses.

Default Re: C.E Juncker World War War I German Pilots Badge - Robert Tuxen engraved

C.E Juncker World War War I German Pilots Badge - Robert Tuxen engravedC.E Juncker World War War I German Pilots Badge - Robert Tuxen engravedC.E Juncker World War War I German Pilots Badge - Robert Tuxen engravedC.E Juncker World War War I German Pilots Badge - Robert Tuxen engravedC.E Juncker World War War I German Pilots Badge - Robert Tuxen engravedC.E Juncker World War War I German Pilots Badge - Robert Tuxen engraved

Folks.

As promised I have included pictures of my badges and ask your opinion on whether it is genuine or not.

- - Updated - -

Attachment 369272

Sorry forgot to include the front picture.

Judging from similar badges I have seen, the inscription appears to be original to me. It is very finely engraved. I think it's good, but best to wait for more opinions.

Corey

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

I have real concerns due to the poorly executed makers mark which looks part of the casting instead of being die struck. I do not like the uneven looking letters.

I am not really taken the the engraving either to be honest.

Others will be able to add more.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Hmmm one good response one bad......

Would it have any value at all if it was a fake???

?

WWI German badges have been heavily faked. That fact and the engraving being old English rather than German script leads me to believe that the badge is not a good one.

I didn't notice that maker's mark. I figure lack of detail on the rear edges (top right) (bottom right) and the maker's mark could be either poor casting or just wear. Probably the former. It of course wouldn't make sense that wear would be in random areas either.

Quote by Scanman View Post
    Hmmm one good response one bad......
    Ade's opinion carries much more weight then my own.

Regards,
    Corey

We have a member "Ferg1" who collects these badges: I would ask for his opinion. Drop him a PM. and ask him if he would mind taking a look. He knows more than I about these

Cheers, Ade.

PS: Corey: while very flatering Imperial is not my subject. I can only apply basic lessons learnt from other fields. Never be afraid to speak your mind. I do not have the last word.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast