Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Captured ww1 russian maxim

Article about: Hi, I have seen for sale a Russian m1910 maxim with German/Austrian markings of 1st company 15th jager regiment and after an hour of searching not managed to find anything about this regimen

Default Captured ww1 russian maxim

Captured ww1 russian maximHi, I have seen for sale a Russian m1910 maxim with German/Austrian markings of 1st company 15th jager regiment and after an hour of searching not managed to find anything about this regiments history or were they were fighting ect (Don’t usually go for this type of thing). I’m Probably looking in the wrong place but im sure someone on this site will be able to point me in the right direction in seconds!!! Any help would be much appreciated anything about this regiment or how to find out about this reg or even if anyone knows a thread on this site about captured weapons in ww1, many thanks!!!!! Captured ww1 russian maxim

Default Re: Captured ww1 russian maxim

Badger123....not Jager markings..."J.R." is for Infantry Regiment...the Imperial German Army often used a "J" as an "I" in "Regimentals" (the markings on clothing/equipment)...There are no "Jager" Regiments, as they were organised in Battalions only.....and numbered as such i.e. 4th Jager Battaliom would be marked as 4.J.B. as Regimentals.
    I cannot make out the full marking on the Maxim, can you supply the markings ?
    Prost ! Steve.

These could also be a Finnish Unit marking as the Finnish Army use J R as infantry unit markings on items and the Finnish Army used alot of Russian Maxims

?

Looks like someone stripped the cooling jacket on that Maxim