Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 107 of 121 FirstFirst ... 7 57 97 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 117 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,070 of 1202

Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Article about: Steve: Thanks for the follow-up on Mont Alto. It looks like Prusse was probably the engineer superintendent of construction on both the Deutschland and the Bremen. His official designation i

Claas: That is a very nice addition to your collection; good catch. Are there any markings on the spoon that would tell us if it is Sterling Silver or plate, and give us a lead as to who made it? Based on the spelling of Köning as “Koenig,” I would guess it was made in the US, since Koenig is the common American rendition of König. Maybe the British do that too, I do not know. The Best to you, Dwight

Out of a picture album from a member of Seeflugstation Helgoland.

U-Deutschland beim Anlegen

U-Deutschland macht fest 23. Aug. 1916

U-Deutschland an der Mole.

It seems that U-Deutschland was on the mole of Helgoland on August 1916.

Kind regards
    Alex

Jaba1914: Thanks for posting those original photos. Yes, the U-Deutschland was in Helgoland in August 1916. She stopped there en route the Weser on her first return trip. The purpose of the short stop-over was so that Paul König could brief Karl Schwartzkopf, captain of the U-Bremen. The U-Bremen was in Helgoland for the meeting, prior to her departure for the United States, during which she vanished. The Best to you, Dwight

Thank you Dwight for providing this info.

Kind regards
    Alex

Let's see if the broken link can be mended once again...
    Quote by STBaltimore View Post
    Look especially between approximately frames 15:40 and 19:53 for motion picture images of the U-DEUTSCHLAND and her crew.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_NnEjq3D78

If someone here can extract the U-DEUTSCHLAND segment this would be a good thing.

There are a couple of segments of this You Tube clip which show the submersible at New London, CT. as the railroad bridge is clearly visible upstream to the right of the merchantman. Others show the THOMAS F. TIMMINS (darker tug) and E. CLAY TIMANUS (white superstructure) at Baltimore.

I'd have to study the dialog a bit more but I did catch a few slight historical inaccuracies in this clip. For instance, while a few of the crew did visit Washington DC in hopes of seeing President Wilson, they were sent over to the Navy Department and saw under secretary Franklin D. Roosevelt. If perhaps Captain Koenig was invited to visit Mr. Wilson, the offer wasn't made by Wilson or his staff.

There's an audio clip of Captain Koenig out upon the Cyber Seas. Thanks to Claas it can be found elsewhere within this study.

STBaltimore
    Last edited by STBaltimore; 11-06-2017 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Attempt at mending broken video link

Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model Which of her class I know not. It could, however, be the U-155 herself heading across the channel following the 1918 armistice.

Has anyone here ever seen images of the U-155, formerly U-DEUTSCHLAND, being dismantled at Robert Smith's yard? Are there any photos of the firm of Smith & Son out there from any period of its operation?

You'd think that there would at least be one or two images taken during the DEUTSCHLAND explosion which caused five deaths but next to know blast explosion to the submarine itself. The newspapers said that the explosion ripped the sub apart but this was simply misreporting despite the fatalities.

A couple new ones for the collection.

Default EFCO prior to being secured for use by the United States Navy in 1917

Hi my friends,
    I would like to show you my new item in my collection. An original Deutsche Ozean Rhederei eggcup:

I hope you like it.
    All the best from a sunny Bremen
    Claas

P.S.: the egg is not from 1916