Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 108 of 121 FirstFirst ... 8 58 98 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 118 ... LastLast
Results 1,071 to 1,080 of 1202

Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Article about: Steve: Thanks for the follow-up on Mont Alto. It looks like Prusse was probably the engineer superintendent of construction on both the Deutschland and the Bremen. His official designation i

I thought that egg was a fake! Nice one, Claas!

Luke

Claas: Ausgezeichnet!! Tell us where you found it. The Best to you, Dwight

Dwight: I found it on Ebay. And I was very happy to win the auction.

Class: I too am glad that you won the auction, I cannot imagine a better place for that egg cup to go than into your collection. Did the seller say how he or she came to have it? My guess is that there was only one set made for the DOR. Have you found the company that made the cup you won? If they are still in business, you might ask them for any information on how many sets were made and to whom they were given. That sort of information always adds value to a collection in the sense of knowledge about what one has in his collection. I did that for all the pieces in my collection and I made a photo record that includes as much information about each piece as I have been able to find. Since you and I have some identical pieces, I will be glad to send you that information if you want it. In the meantime, congratulations on a very fortunate find and acquisition. The Best to you, Dwight

Luke gave me the heads-up on this vintage U-Deutschland display that he spotted in Ebay. It is a U-Deutschland souvenir that the war-charity, National Aid Society, headquartered at 50 Union Square, New York City, put together for sales in 1916. The display has five parts; the outer 8-inch by 12.5-inch wood frame, a narrow sheet-metal matte that is ¼-inch wide and creates a 51/4-inch by 73/4-inch opening for the main matte that has the words and creates a 31/8-inch by 43/4-inch opening with the postcard of the U-Deutschland and Capt. Paul König in the center. The fourth part of the display is the photo of the cargo crate under the U-Deutschland. The display’s fifth part is the cardboard back of the display that has writing on it and an affixed stamp (image #1, Image #2)

It is assumed that the purchaser was F. Marshald who lived at 44 E. 48th Street in New York City. Below Marshald’s address he wrote: Trans. “In Memory of the first run of the U-Boat Germany” and then he translated what is written on the main Matte on the front of the display as. “The material of this frame is made from the pictured box of the freight of the U-Boat.” Which is essentially correct.

The stamp on the back of the display identifies the organization that created these displays and sold them to raise money with which to buy food and send it to Germany. The organization was the National Aid Society, abbreviated on the stamp as “Natl Aid Socy” The slogan, translated, is the “Homeland in Distress, I make Bread”
    The parts taken from the cargo crates to make this display were the packing crate slats and the crate’s binding strap. It appears the packing crate slats were grooved with a router and stained light brown. The sheet-metal from the crate’s binding strap, used to make the narrow sheet-metal matte, was cut in lengths to form the matte.
    I was unable to find any information on the International Aid Society other than its office was at 50 Union Square in New York City. This artifact is the first time I have seen it mentioned in 25 years of collecting U-Deutschland items. As U-Deutschland items go, this is certainly one of the rarest and will go well with my cased dye sample. Dwight

Glad you got it, Dwight! Very rare indeed!

Luke

Well, it has finally happened, someone has counterfeited a U-Deutschland Iron Cross. This one showed up on Ebay and went for $149. It is so obviously a counterfeit that it is laughable. The dead visual give-away is the total absence of the brass centerpiece with König’s likeness. My guess is this fake is cast lead. P. T. Barnum was right, "There's a sucker born every minute." Dwight

Belay that last post; the cross shown is not a counterfeit, it is one that someone painted black and the new owner remove the paint and found that the brass center piece had been badly discolored. My son and I had been talking about counterfeit U-Deutschland items, and yesterday he sent me the photo of that Iron Cross that he found online, asking if it was real or a fake. I took one look at it, told him it was a fake and then posted it here. I guess that we can relax knowing that only the 2-inch by 3-inch Planchet has been counterfeited in lead and the big Iron Cross has not been counterfeited--yet. Dwight

Got lucky and just picked this up the other day. I've been searching for this little guy for a few years and it's the first one I've seen offered for sale. The left foot is lost to time but still more than happy to put this in the collection.

Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and ModelCargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and ModelCargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model