Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 116 of 116 FirstFirst ... 1666106112113114115116
Results 1,151 to 1,153 of 1153

Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Article about: Steve: Thanks for the follow-up on Mont Alto. It looks like Prusse was probably the engineer superintendent of construction on both the Deutschland and the Bremen. His official designation i

Dwight:

Many thanks for your comments and corrections. Your photographs show the differences in the hull colors between Bremen and Deutschland. Tom

Default Patriotic postcard U-Deutschland

Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model
    In looking through the postcards that I have of U-Deutschland I came across this patriotic type postcard which I have not seen elsewhere. It obviously is an artist's rendition of the U-Deutschland penetrating the British blockade. The postcard was cancelled in Wilhelmshaven on August 23, 1916 addressed to Hamburg.

Tom, To your recent comment in post 1148, viz: "Bow view of U-Deutschland with tugs tied up port and starboard. The tug on the starboard side is probably the [THOMAS F. TIMMINS]... at Baltimore." I'd like to add comment that we too can see, in your photo view, the mighty little launch EFCO, outbound of the TIMMINS.

The TIMMINS briefly left DEUTSCHLAND, sometime after their duo near-midnight arrival on July 9th at the Quarantine anchorage just beyond the 1916 city limits of Baltimore. TIMMINS beat feet into the McLean pier, at South Locust Point, in order to drop off Jimmy Fesmire, that he might fetch the EFCO and pilot her back out to the anchorage while DEUTSCHLAND awaited the health department officials to issue a clean bill of health to Captain Koenig and crew.

The Merchantman DEUTSCHLAND arrived at her maiden voyage designation mid-morning July 10th. 1916. The SS NECKAR, a vessel that would serve, as berthing for the submersible's crew during her warm July stay at Baltimore, arrived the following day, being brought in from its own anchorage off of Thompson's point, near modern-day SeaGirt Marine Terminal.

Fesmire, who was standing watch at the time aboard the Tug THOMAS F. TIMMINS, is credited with being the first man on this side of the Atlantic to have spotted the subsea freighter entering the capes at the entrance to Chesapeake Bay.
    Last edited by STBaltimore; 12-17-2019 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Clarification on Jas. Fesmire's positioning when U-DEUTSCHLAND was first sighted