Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 15 of 121 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 65 115 ... LastLast

Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Article about: Steve: Thanks for the follow-up on Mont Alto. It looks like Prusse was probably the engineer superintendent of construction on both the Deutschland and the Bremen. His official designation i

Default Re: Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

These photos were taken during her sea trials, which lasted several days. I don't know why her radio masts were rigged since the jumper antenna was all that was needed to maintain contact with Wilhelmshaven. Maybe it was done for drill.
    These two photos were taken on the first day of the sea trials, which is evident by the fact that some of the crew are wearing white coveralls. It was the only time they did that.

This first photograph shows the boat at the conclusion of the sea trials. One of the things they discovered about the boat was that she was a very slow diver, even under ideal conditions. Normally, it took her five minutes to get under, and longer in heavy seas. Her best time was three minutes. After she was converted to a war boat (U-155) she was equipped with high speed vent valves that improved her diving time, but the boat remained a slow diver and a clumsy maneuverer throughout her career.

The color scheme was over-all sea green with a black tank top. The extra black saddle on the stern was unique to the U-deutschland.

If you look carefully you will see the signal flag "S" on the foremast. According to my source, that means, "I am backing." Maybe one of you old swabbies can tell me what it means in this case.
    I think this is a shot of her entering Wilhelmshaven. It looks a little bit like Helgoland, but that breakwater featured heavy pilings on the inside. Claas can probably tell us where this photo was actually taken.

Next up, when I get time, will be the return to Bremen from Baltimore. Dwight

Fantastic pictures, Dwight. Keep 'em coming!

Luke

Dwight,
    Great pictures!! I wish I could have seen them install all the equipment in the U-boat; the engines and gages, etc. This was all done before AutoCAD and 3-D rendering. The day to day problems that must have come up on this rush job must have been mind numbing. It was amazing it did not sink in a more permanent way.
    Dwight you are right about translating a stamp book. I do hope Claas will explain it some more because I am at a loss to find any information on the stamps written in English. The other book he listed I could not find on bookfinder.com, and I think if I did, it would be in German. Any knowledge I get on these stamps is going to be from Claas.
    So anyway, I promised some more pictures of the Bremen. Here they are.
    Steve
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model   Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model  

Dwight, may I ask how you came across 28 negatives of the Deutschland? That seems like quite a coup

O.K, I blew it. I thought I was only up loading two pictures. It also grabbed a picture of the Deutschland. Here are a few more that I have. I am not sure if the war boat is U-155 or not.
    Steve
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model   Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model  

Troy: I got them from the Bibliothek für Zeitgeschichte in 1985 and used a couple of them in The Merchant U-Boat. They have been in an unopened file for more than 25 years. In fact, I had forgotten about them completely until I ran across them last week. Dwight

Steve: That's a great PC photo of a Deutschland-class U-cruiser. Dwight

Steve: Take a look at the two photos in post #141. If you look in the upper left corner of the lower photo you will see part of the negative identification. Dwight

This last group is a series of photos taken as the U-Deutschland made her way up the Weser to Bremen during her return from Baltimore. I have tried to put them in the order taken as she went up-river.

She's just about there

The negative for this photo of the U-Bremen was in with the others, so I got an unexpected bonus. This is probably the last photograph taken of the boat before she started out on the transAtlantic crossing and vanished. The U-Deutschland and the U-Bremen were in Helgoland at the same time so that König could brief Schwartzkopf.

Page 15 of 121 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 65 115 ... LastLast