Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 16 of 121 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 26 66 116 ... LastLast

Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Article about: Steve: Thanks for the follow-up on Mont Alto. It looks like Prusse was probably the engineer superintendent of construction on both the Deutschland and the Bremen. His official designation i

Default Re: Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Once again just like to say what a great thread this is. Thanks to all.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Ade: Thanks for looking in on it and thanks for the kind remarks. No too far back you made a a very useful contribution regarding "the hand from the clouds," which puts you in there with Claas, STBaltimore, Troy, Rudolph, Luke, and Steve who have made it a really fun joint effort. I hope we can keep it going. Dwight

Yes we can Dwight, I have a few more surprises on the way (depending on the mail from Germany )

Troy: I love surprises. Dwight

I have just posted a link over at uboat.net, so hopefully you will be seeing a further input about Deutschland and Bremen. I have just bought some more postcards that I have not seen on the thread so far, I just hope by the time they arrive here they will still be a surprise I am still searching for another New York postcard for you mate.

Ade,
    Thank you for the input. I am so happy to have found some like mind people to talk to about these two U-boats. If you could put the people in this thread in the same room, we probably would not come out for three days.

Troy, thanks for letting the folks at U-boat.net know what is going on over here. They have a great sight, but the picture posting capabilities here is what is needed. I am sure we will pick up more people with more stories.

Dwight, Great photos, wow! I do see the tag in the corner of the picture. Good catch, I have always missed it. As far as keeping this thread going, I have not even started yet. I just ordered a book today on diesel U-boat engines and spent 30 minutes talking to the author about the U-Deutschland. I explained this thread to him and he gave me permission to post parts from his book. He got his photos and blueprints of the Deutschland engines right from Krupp’s files. When I get the book I will post everything you will need to get your own copy. I think it is going to be a winner.

Dwight, you said in an earlier post, referring to a picture, that the black stern for the Deutschland was unique to the Deutschland. Looking at all the pictures of the boat going up the river it appears the black part is only on the port side. If the information you got was correct, I think you may have a problem. I blew up that post card of the Bremen at Helgoland, the stern; port side has the same black mark. The post card company may have used a stock photo. I would see about getting your 10 cents back.

Here are two more post cards.

Steve
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model   Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model  

Damnit Steve! That bottom one is one of the ones I'm waiting to arrive from Germany

Steve: You're right, that alleged U-Bremen in Helgoland photo is probably the Deutschland on her out bound leg to Baltimore. I'm beginning to believe that there are no photos of the U-Bremen and the card companies simply used whatever was at hand and put whatever caption they wanted to sell on the picture. The funny looking port side black area was unique to the U-Deutschland. The reference is in RG242, MP T1022, which I no longer have. But as I continue to clean out these old research files I will probably come across the original notes. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with on the engines. According to the sources I have, the Diesels in the U-Deutschland were originally diesel generators that were originally intended for SMS Sachsen and Ersatz Gneisenau. That is from Eberhard Rössler, Geschichte des deutschen U-Bootbaus, 1975, p67. Dwight

Troy: Thanks for posting the link on uboat.net. Hopefully we will get some people from there taking part. Dwight

Look especially between approximately frames 15:40 and 19:53 for motion picture images of the U-DEUTSCHLAND and her crew.

If someone here can extract the U-DEUTSCHLAND segment this would be a good thing.

There are a couple of segments of this You Tube clip which show the submersible at New London, CT. as the railroad bridge is clearly visible upstream to the right of the merchantman. Others show the THOMAS F. TIMMINS (darker tug) and E. CLAY TIMANUS (white superstructure) at Baltimore.

I'd have to study the dialog a bit more but I did catch a few slight historical inaccuracies in this clip. For instance, while a few of the crew did visit Washington DC in hopes of seeing President Wilson, they were sent over to the Navy Department and saw under secretary Franklin D. Roosevelt. If perhaps Captain Koenig was invited to visit Mr. Wilson, the offer wasn't made by Wilson or his staff.

There's a audio clip of Captain Koenig out upon the Cyber Seas. Has anyone else heard it too? If so, would you be willing to translate it from German to English?

STBaltimore
    Last edited by STBaltimore; 03-08-2012 at 03:04 PM. Reason: adjusting frame numbers on You Tube clip

Page 16 of 121 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 26 66 116 ... LastLast