Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 18 of 121 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 28 68 118 ... LastLast

Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Article about: Steve: Thanks for the follow-up on Mont Alto. It looks like Prusse was probably the engineer superintendent of construction on both the Deutschland and the Bremen. His official designation i

Default Re: Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Here are the pictures with the different aft:

First, I think, the Deutschland:

And here the U-Bremen (so I hope):
    (written on the backside: U-Frachtschiff Bremen in Helgoland am 23.August 1916

What do you think?

Regards
    Claas

STBaltimore: That's a great photo of the U-155 before they butchered her and reduced her to floating display scrap. Claas: I think you're right about the port side exhaust opening. I vaguely recall something like that in something I read. I dimly recall that it had to do with the exhaust manifolds on the diesel-generator engines they used as her main power plants. They weren't designed to be propulsion engines and had to be adapted to the job. I don't know, but maybe the Bremen had conventional, purpose-built propulsion engines that allowed conventional port and starboard waterline exhaust ports. I wish I still had a brain. Thta is a good photo of the U-155 after she was disarmed. It seems to me that we are steadily developing a very large, historically accurate, database for the entire German cargo submarine project. Dwight

Claas: I have one of those photos in negative form. In fact, I posted the print just a couple of days ago. I don't know what to think, but my gut feeling is that both photos are the U-Deutschlnad entering and inside the breakwater at Helgoland. I could be wrong about the skirt painted on her port quarter being unique to the Deutschland, but I have been working with that belief for 30 years, and I sure didn't make it up. I read that somewhere when I was researching for the book, but I'll be damned if I can remember where I read it. What we should do is start contacting all the archival photo sources asking for photographs of the U-Bremen under construction and on her sea trials. I'm pretty sure that such a search would turn up a lot more U-Deutschland photos misidentified as U-Bremen. But who knows what we might find? I guess that in a practical sense it doesn't matter what the caption on the photo is since the two boats were outwardly identical. Dwight.

As an old anchor clanker I can attest that even sister ships tend to take on their own personal identity even prior to slipping down the ways, especially experimental vessels such as the BREMEN and DEUTSCHLAND. If we study the still-surfacing images long enough, and get a few breaks with better-quality views, - the two vessels may well shake out for us so that we may tell them apart. Remember, I'm the optimist and that's how an optimist thinks... >wink<.

Good morning everybody,
    Well folks apparently Dwight got the book The Fourth Horsemen, read it, and in private e-mail explained to me all the historical faults with the author's research. I have noticed on this form that whenever we have the ability to reference a historically old piece of material, a book, newspaper article, etc., we always make note of that in our explanation. If we can't remember where we read it, we always state that, “I think I read this somewhere…”, or “I recollect this…”, and then if need be we go out and look for more information. This is the proper, professional, and scholarly way to conduct historical research. I thought the other day when I referenced The Fourth Horseman and the fact that the U-Deutschland was carrying sabotage materials I would start in interesting debate on the subject. However, after Dwight got done reading it and checking his references he blew more holes in the story then the Australians did to the Emden.

So anyway, I am sorry about the red herring, but when you doing historical research like we are on this site we are bound to come by some false leads. I look on the bright side of this, disproving a historical point is just as important as proving it. Case in point, I have a least five books in my collection that list five different explanations for the Bremen's disappearance. Dwight if you want to post your e-mail to me on this site concerning The Fourth Horseman that's fine by me. I really appreciate you spending all the time checking into all the sources.

Steve

Claas,

It's good to have you back. Take your time in explaining the stamps to me. I am really interested in knowing the full story. Like I said, I can't find anything on this side of the Atlantic to explain them.

The photos you and STBaltimore posted were fantastic. The photo of the Deutschland getting pushed off to the breaker yards was truly unique. As far as the two photos you posted with the circles drawn on them we have pretty much concluded the first one was the Deutschland, but the second one I think maybe the Bremen. The black part on the stern is more of a smudge then a geometrically painted section. At least, that's my call.

I got up this morning, went out for breakfast, and got into my man cave (shed) by nine o'clock this morning. I was going to spend all day working on Deutschland and Bremen related topics to post on the site. I typed in one sentence, and then the interruptions started. I didn't get back at it until six o'clock tonight, so much for my relaxing day.

Steve

Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and ModelGentlemen,
    Digging through my files today I have found an interesting newspaper article on one of the Deutschland’s trips to the United States. I need to figure out a way to preserve this newspaper and frame it, the paper doesn't have much life left in it. I hope everyone can read it. Enjoy!

Steve

P.S If all the pictures do not load I will do a second post with the missing ones.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model   Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model  

Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model   Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model  

Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model   Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model  

Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model  

Steve: An old fashioned technique for preserving newspapers as displays under glass was to mount the paper on a stiff paper back and then coat it with varnish. Today, you can mount it and spray it with Verathane. Another method that works is to mount the paper and coat it with sanding sealer. The advantage to the more modern method is that you can use matt finish verathane, which wasn't available in the "old days." Dwight

Hey,

just found on ebay: ANTIQUE CAST METAL BUST OF HORATIO BOTTOMLEY

Maybe intersting for someone.

regards
    Claas

Claas: I would love to have it, but by the time I paid the shipping to the US and the outrageous fees for currency conversion to Visa, I would be broke. I'll leave it for STBaltimore or Steve to pick-up. Maybe one of them wil let me borrow it. Dwight

Page 18 of 121 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 28 68 118 ... LastLast