Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 20 of 121 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 30 70 120 ... LastLast

Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Article about: Steve: Thanks for the follow-up on Mont Alto. It looks like Prusse was probably the engineer superintendent of construction on both the Deutschland and the Bremen. His official designation i

?

Default Re: Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

That I believe

Dwight,

You nailed it!

Steve

Quote by drmessimer View Post
    Scout: More like cash, puzzlement, and frustration.
    I agree with Dwight. If you think about what there is present at value in the display case ... A small car, a very nice vacation or a long horny trip on the Reeperbahn in Hamburg

And all the things you find on ebay too late because someone else was faster to bid.

Or you find something, believe it is the right one. And if you have it at home then come the doubts. Like this small candels sticks:

The photo on ebay was a little bit unfocused. But on the first view they looked like in Dwights catalog

Unfortunately their are only 9cm high, not 4inches. But hope never dies...

Regards
    Claas

Have you seen this image of the DEUTSCHLAND'S conning tower from the starboard side looking forward?

Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

If Dwight's next model isn't up to snuff he'll have to blame it on overload.

STB

Claas: They look genuine to me. My friend, you make me positively envious with all the great stuff you have. If I had your collection I could die a happy man instead of the doddering grump I have become. Dwight

STBaltimore: You're right, if I had had access to all these great photographs when I built the first model, It would have been a whole lot more detailed. I am still stirred by the urge to do another one, but I don't think that my weak eyes and arthritic hands would let that happen. Still, it's fun to think about. Dwight

Gentlemen,

Here is a photographic collage I made a few years back. The part with the stamp I recently found out was wrong. As soon as I find out what I need to say to correct it, I will make it available. I have this on my wall at home and in my office. It is printed out on 13” x 19” photo paper and printed in sepia for the old fashioned look. I can not sell it because I do not own the rights to some of the material.

Claas, you really do have a nice prize with that coin, well done. I wish I had more to add.

Dwight, I got that book on diesel engines last night. It is a tomb at 750 pages. It covers all the world’s subs from 1902 to 1945. The author gave me permission to post the Deutschland material. It is only about three pages, but there is a great picture of the engine that went into the Deutschland. If you are a U-boat nut like me (and you are) it is a great reference book. I look forward to spending more time with it.

Steve

P.S I got home last night to start the thread on the Bremen’s location and my two week old laptop (that I bought just to deal with the forum) would not connect to the internet. Please hang in there; I am getting to the Bremen.

P.P.S If you were standing on the deck of a U-boat (while surfaced) in calm sea, just how far could you see? That is, if you were approaching an island on a clear day how far away would you be when it just came into view? Thank you for the help.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model  

Steve: That's a hard question to answer with absolute accuracy because there are several factors involved, and I can't recall what all of them are. But I do remember being told about terrestrial refraction, which I didn't understand then and understand less now, and a vague term called variable gradients. In the end, it boiled down to a rule of thumb equation, which is 1.32 miles X the square-root of the height of the eye. So working with that, a six-foot guy standing on the deck of a submarine that was surfaced so that the tank decks were awash would see things starting at about 4 nautical miles. An island that rose up above the apparent horizon would be visible at greater distances, and the cloud formations over the island would be visible at even greater distances. A look-out in the conning tower would see things farther away than would the guy on the deck. If we make the conning tower deck six feet above the casing deck and add four feet for freeboard and 4 feet for the guys eyes, we get a rough estimate of 5 NM visability for objects down near the surface, and farther for objects that rise up above the surface. Anyway, it's all pretty academic now because the cheaters just use radar. Dwight
    Last edited by drmessimer; 03-14-2012 at 06:26 PM.

Quote by drmessimer View Post
    Anyway, it's all pretty academic now because the cheaters just use radar. Dwight

To this I would add two words, as the British might murmur --- Spot On!

Steve: all I can say is, if you stand on the beach you can watch about 5km to the horizon.
    If you want to know it exact her is a mathematical formula, unfortunately only in German:
    Wie weit kann ich auf dem Meer sehen

Regards
    Claas

Steve,

Your U-DEUTSCHLAND drawings are the best I've ever seen. My thanks go to you and the author for sharing them with our forum users/site visitors.

Would you know if the drawings were taken directly from the shipyard copies, and if so, are the original drawings currently in the public domain?

Thanks,

Page 20 of 121 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 30 70 120 ... LastLast