Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 22 of 121 FirstFirst ... 12 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 32 72 ... LastLast

Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Article about: Steve: Thanks for the follow-up on Mont Alto. It looks like Prusse was probably the engineer superintendent of construction on both the Deutschland and the Bremen. His official designation i

Default Re: Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Here's an update: According to a January 7th 2010 Transocean fleet status report, Transocean had acquired the former USNS GLOMAR EXPLORER in return for US $15 million dollar cash payment and renamed it the GSF EXPLORER. The salvage vessel has been leased to a consortium led by Marathon Oil to drill offshore Indonesia until March of this year. If we can get a fix on the U-BREMEN sometime after April 4th we have an excellent chance to work the bottom this Summer. >wink<
    Last edited by STBaltimore; 03-17-2012 at 05:32 AM. Reason: Vessel Spelling Correction

Scout: Yes, they are going to scrap the Glomar Explorer because it no longer has a purpose and our liberal press pretty well destroyed its cover twenty years ago. But according to the latest post, it looks like events have overtaken the local news. Dwight

?

I find it sad should it be scrapped.
    IMO it has invaluable historic significance for the task it participated in bringing to a succesful end.

In a Baltimore newspaper article, headlined "Tribute Paid Here to Captain Koenig", and dated September 18, 1933, mention is made of testimonials to the character of the late Captain Koenig "... in a number of speeches and letters, delivered and read in front of a platform on which was hung the flag flown by the Deutschland on her historic journey."

Guess who is going to snoop around to see if that flag still exists? Wish me success!

?

Cool. If you find the Blut Fahne on the same occasion, let us know

STBaltimore: If you find and acquire that flag, you will have the Holy Grail of U-Deutschland collectors. I wish you luck. Dwight

Ahoy Scout:

Don't think that artifact* you elude to would be located here in America unless some returning bindlestiff GI used it to wrap up his soiled battlefield finds. While it may be a few more years before that trunk is opened, many who fought to free the World from Fascism are still among us breathing free air so desperately won.

* Blutfahne "Blood flag" – An SA flag bloodied in the attempted Beer Hall Putsch in Munich 9 November 1923, and revered by the Nazi Party, used in ceremonies. It disappeared towards the end of the War and is presumed to have been destroyed.

Quote by drmessimer View Post
    ... the Holy Grail of U-Deutschland collectors. I wish you luck. Dwight
    Do you suppose we could incorporate the Grail as a luring device in hopes of collecting the collectors at the Port of Baltimore sometime down the road,,, say during the month of July in 2016?

We can but hope, seek, ask and knock. Somehow, like the U-BREMEN, I think that flag is sitting in a bottom drawer somewhere, waiting to be re-discovered.

STB

?

Indeed.
    You never know, what will turn up.
    I met an older gentleman and his son at the Smithsonian/Udvar Hazy (Im an aviation nutter).
    The old gentleman was a vet and had been in WWII seeing action in both North Africa and Europe.
    When we spoke about relics, he casually mentioned that he brought back a few handguns. One was a P08.
    His son didnt care for them and I was welcome to swing by and check them out.

Scout: So now, drop the other shoe. You got it right? What sort of shape is it in? Is it a DWM or another mafr.? In fact, I have an idea. Why don't you start a thread titled, "What Someone Gave Me" and post photos of the P.08? Ask others to contribute their freebies. Dwight

Page 22 of 121 FirstFirst ... 12 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 32 72 ... LastLast