Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 28 of 121 FirstFirst ... 18 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 38 78 ... LastLast

Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Article about: Steve: Thanks for the follow-up on Mont Alto. It looks like Prusse was probably the engineer superintendent of construction on both the Deutschland and the Bremen. His official designation i

Default Re: Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Quote by Steve Zuke View Post
    What post can I find the picture of a DOR hat badge? If it is a needle and thread type badge, I know people that make these for a living.
    Steve
    Your wish is my command Sir... courtesy of Claas of course!

STB

Steve: Actually, I sent an email to the British National Archives asking for the Room 40 intercepts. Paul Gannon would undoubtedly be a good information source with regard to the Room 40 collection, but I would rather go for the original decryps. Re: the DOR cap badge, I don't know the precise post number, but go back ten or so pages and scroll through. It's there. Claas posted it. Dwight

Quote by drmessimer View Post
    ... Paul Gannon would undoubtedly be a good information source with regard to the Room 40 collection, but I would rather go for the original decryps.
    What about Timothy P. Mulligan on this side of the Atlantic? Although Tim, an author in his own right, is now retired from NARA, I'm informed that he is still listed as a volunteer in their phone directory. He resides in Lanham, MD. In fact, I'm hoping that he'll soon be return my call. Rumor has it that Tim has gone on from researching captured German WW-II records at the National Archives and has begun delving into NARA's holdings relative to Germany in the Great War.

Steve, I'm going to leave the contacting of Paul Gannon to your able handling, that we may share in a collective effort.
    Last edited by STBaltimore; 04-07-2012 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Adding Source Links

Quote by STBaltimore View Post
    Any idea where, in early post-war England, this image of the U-155 (earlier U-DEUTSCHLAND) might have been taken?...

These pictures were taken at St.Katharine Dock, near tower bridge and opposite the tower of london . Now it is a very nice marina, with nice arpartements and restaurants.
    May have a look at
    St Katharine Docks is one of the best kept secret locations in Central

here from wiki
    St Katharine Docks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and here for a view from the top
    Google Maps

Regards

Claas

STBaltimore: I know Tim Mulligan very well. He gave me valuable direction when I was working on the U-Deutschland project in the mid-1980's, and I exchanged emails with him when he left NARA and then lost track of him entirely. I'm glad you located him because he is a heavy weight in this field and could give us excellent direction. If you have an email for him, please send it to me and I will send him an email.

Claas: Thanks for the name of the location in those photos. For the life of me, I couldn't bring it to mind. Dwight

Dwight - I missed Tim's talk last year over in Georgetown DC on --------- tragic end late of the U-515. I recently was reminded of him by Professor Volker Schmeissner, who had been at Tim's lecture. Volker, along with der Bordfunker, Herr Kenneth Witkin, are site users at der Wecker forum (where, on the Baltimore front, there are other threads about U-DEUTSCHLAND, ARGONAUT & PLUNGER) and both could prove invaluable to our efforts in researching RG-242. Volker suggested I contact Dr. Mulligan - so I am presently awaiting for his return call. Through a close associate within NARA, I've bee involved with a flurry of e-wires with their Archives II staff. They expect that we'll be descending on them sometime after my return from a visit to the James River Reserve Fleet (JRRF) late next week.

Claas - Much obliged for putting an image name to the face of that waterfront building on London's River Thames. Here's a writeup on St. Katherine Docks auf Deutsch.

All - As to following original source document leads both in England and Germany, I refer you to der Wecker and a rather prominent cable transmission thread that involved the U-DEUTSCHLAND'S second 1916 trip to America and the much-noted Zimmermann Telegram, albeit from an intelligence community's standpoint.
    Last edited by STBaltimore; 04-07-2012 at 02:19 PM. Reason: spelling

Claas,

To hone in a bit more, the name of the structure at St. Katherine Docks may be the Ivory House. What do you think?

I will be down in the docks next month as I will be on board HMS Belfast. It is a very nice area now. I know the entrance to the Ivory House, has a couple of elephants on the gate.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    I will be down in the docks next month
    Cheers, Ade.
    To the HMS BELFAST eh? Now, if we can get you to go down to the National Archives.... we will have accomplished something special. So far, all we seem to have are a couple of white elephants staring us in the face. Tusk, tusk!

Hope it's as nice and Sunny at your place as it is shaping up to be here on the shores of Chesapeake Bay.

Chtob vse byli zdorovy, STB.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    I will be down in the docks next month as I will be on board HMS Belfast. It is a very nice area now. I know the entrance to the Ivory House, has a couple of elephants on the gate.

Cheers, Ade.
    You better watch out, Ade. These guys will try to put you to work for them.

Luke

Page 28 of 121 FirstFirst ... 18 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 38 78 ... LastLast