Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 35 of 121 FirstFirst ... 25 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 45 85 ... LastLast

Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Article about: Steve: Thanks for the follow-up on Mont Alto. It looks like Prusse was probably the engineer superintendent of construction on both the Deutschland and the Bremen. His official designation i

Default Re: Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Steve: I forgot to answer your question about Rössler's sources for the many drawings in his book. Here is what his publisher said about them, "The drawings included in this book represent the fruit of many years' diligent research by the author and have been compiled from a considerable number of sources." Well, that certainly is informative. Dwight

Quote by STBaltimore View Post
    Do you see what I see?

There appears to be traces of gold on the roping of the iron cross paperweight.

Haven't read the article either. Have any of you?

If somebody would ask me, I know someone who has the booklet...

Regards

Claas

Claas: I just sent you an email.

Dwight: I just sent you two emails. :-)

It's very hard to read but I'd know that face anywhere! (Hans Berg) Dwight, that picture of him you sent me I use as an avatar on another forum. I believe the name of the ship in the photo is Appam. This was a prize ship of the Möwe.
    Sorry guys. I know this has nothing to do with U-Deutschland.

Luke

Thumbs up Re: Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

I just sent Claas an e-mail, I guess because I just received one of the two he said he had just dispatched. Must have been a ricochet intended for Dwight!

But while I'm typing You all might like to know that:

An agent is needed in Germany to help serve as a liaison associated with the passenger liner U-DEUTSCHLAND'S centennial crossing.

Possibly one of the nicer looking cruise ships afloat these days, Peter Deihlmann's 22,496 gross ton DEUTSCHLAND is being sought for a trip to America in 2016. The folks at Deihlmann have already expressed their interest in the centennial at the Port of Baltimore. They have further indicated that they will be setting up their 2016 schedule at the beginning of 2014. It is not too early to consider contacting Peter Deihlmann Cruises to let them know you'd be interested in being aboard for what could be their 2016 Atlantic crossing and up the Chesapeake Bay to a most jubilant reception.

With an overall length of 175.5 metres, her construction was entrusted to four different shipyards, and the various modules were assembled at the Howaldwerke-Deutsche Werft shipyard at Kiel, in Germany. She was launched on 16 January 1998, and completed four months later.

Catering mainly for German-speaking clients, DEUTSCHLAND is one of the world's most highly rated cruise ships. She can accommodate 513 passengers. She has been to the Port of Baltimore on prior voyages and would be most welcome in July of 2016 too.
    Last edited by STBaltimore; 04-18-2012 at 10:12 PM.

?

Yes, but will it have an Italian captain.....?

Anything is possible. That being said, I doubt if you'll ever see ex-Captain Francesco Schettino on the bridge of ANY ship again, especially the M/V DEUTSCHLAND.

From Reuter's News Service
    Last edited by STBaltimore; 04-18-2012 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Added Reuter's Story Pix

STBaltimore: That is indeed a classy looking ship.

Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Claas saved me from terminal frustration by sending me a terrific copy of the article that STBaltimore posted earlier. In answer to Steve’s question, there isn’t anything really new in it, except that the author, Reinhard Bense provided photos of U-Deutschland-related artifacts I didn’t know existed. He also wrote an interesting bit regarding the iron EK paperweight shown above. Without providing a source, he said, “It is suggested that this souvenir iron cross was made by an American-owned firm, National Radiator, in Schönenbeck in 1916.” He says the story is supported by the fact that so many of them are available in the Schönenbeck area. But he then adds that another author, Jörg Nimmergut wrote an article in 1990, “Ein Erinnerungskreux besonderer Art,” that appeared in Orden-Militar-Magazin in which he said the souvenirs were made in Baltimore using the U-Deutschland’s iron ballast.

That’s the information I had when I was doing the research for The Merchant U-Boat. One thing is for sure, those iron cross paperweights were on sale in Baltimore and New York, along with several other ballast-made items while the U-Deutschland was still there in July, so there is no way those could have been made in Germany. STBaltimore talked to someone who said they were made in Germany and brought to the US aboard the U-Deutschland. That might be true, but they would have arrived in New London in November 1916. It’s possible that they were made in two places, and it’s an interesting possibility to discuss. If that’s what happened, how is it that they all look alike? Was the mold used in Baltimore identical to the one used in Germany? The photo that Bense put in his article looks exactly like mine. What fun. Dwight

An observation from some vantage point near U-DEUTSCHLAND at the Port of Baltimore as committed to writing on Thursday, July 13th 1916. Author is unknown and the accuracy of measurements is questionable. Still, it is a period account not to be dismissed out-of-hand.

“The Deutschland showed some four feet additional out of the water than before the unloading commenced on Tuesday [July 11th, 1916] and her draft was less than 11 feet when the last case of dye was discharged.

“The ship’s rise revealed that the estimates of her size have been exaggerated and instead of being 300 feet long and 30 feet wide her width is less than 25 feet and her length is no more than 250 feet.

“Her overall draft, figured submerged, shows that she needs at least 32 feet for complete submergence. The marked draft line is 17 feet from the keel. There are an additional 6 or 6 ½ feet between the draft line and the level of the deck at the entrance to the conning tower, while the tower itself is between 7 and 8 feet high.” ~~30~~

Page 35 of 121 FirstFirst ... 25 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 45 85 ... LastLast