Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 36 of 121 FirstFirst ... 26 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 46 86 ... LastLast

Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Article about: Steve: Thanks for the follow-up on Mont Alto. It looks like Prusse was probably the engineer superintendent of construction on both the Deutschland and the Bremen. His official designation i

Default Re: Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

WOW!,

Great work guys!! I just do not know where you find all this time. Do you ever sleep? Like Dwight said, “What fun!”.

Steve

P.S Dwight you are painstakingly thorough, I am, once again, impressed. Let me guess the publisher would not divulge any other useful information? Do you think it might be worth our while to contact the writer's estate?

Quote by drmessimer View Post
    STBaltimore talked to someone who said they were made in Germany and brought to the US aboard the U-Deutschland. That might be true, but they would have arrived in New London in November 1916.
    What I was informed and passed on to Dwight was that gold currency was collected by the various American groups sympathetic to the Vaterland's cause when the U-DEUTSCHLAND made port at Baltimore. The donors were promised mementos in return for their generosity. The donations were said to have been taken back to Germany and the tokens (I would think that these were particularly the iron crosses with the inset medallions) were brought back to America on DEUTSCHLAND'S second crossing to America.

Quote by drmessimer View Post
    It’s possible that they were made in two places, and it’s an interesting possibility to discuss. If that’s what happened, how is it that they all look alike? Was the mold used in Baltimore identical to the one used in Germany? The photo that Bense put in his article looks exactly like mine. What fun. Dwight
    It is indeed possible that, much like the ghost-written narrative "Voyage of the Deutschland", the dies could have been done up, mostly complete and ready for casting or coining, depending on whether the crosses were being cast or the medallions being struck. The single most important detail was the date of arrival.

There is quite a strong likelihood, that any expendable metals, such as ballast bars, may have been used to produce a tempting array of commemorative keepsakes.

This we ought remember folks:

Well ahead of the first voyage, Germany knew that by neutralizing or minimizing the British and French blockade, they'd not only reap tons of favorable press, they'd also see a renewed interest for trade within the American manufacturing community. Creating a number of sets of dies ready and waiting for a date stamp adjustment would definitely have been the way to go on either side of the Atlantic.

Compare as many of the date portions of the strikes or castings and we may encounter the same sort of near likenesses much as we have discovered slight differences between the outward appearances between DEUTSCHLAND and BREMEN.

STB
    Last edited by STBaltimore; 04-19-2012 at 12:08 PM. Reason: added tweek about iron cross papaerweights

Steve, et al,

With respect to seeking out the final resting place of the U-BREMEN, you may wish to view the material at the following site"

The Submarine as a Class of Archaeological Site

STBaltimore: Actually the writer of those observations had a good eye. Here are the known dimensions for comparison. LOA 213.25 feet (65M); Max. beam 29.20 feet (8.9M); CT top to keel, 30.5 feet (9.29M), casing deck to keel, 22.9 feet (6.97M); casing deck to CT top, 7.6 feet (2.31M). Periscope depth for the boat was 42 feet (12.8M); the main periscope in its fixed down position extended 12.5 feet (3.8M) above the upper CT rim. Dwight

Steve: In-so-far as I know, Eberhard Rössler is alive and well and still living in Germany. You might try locating him through Google, but I'll tell you in advance, there are several Eberhard Rösslers. Dwight

Would anyone know the whereabouts of the presentation photo showing Prince Henry of Prussia, on the back of which is written a poem dedicated to the U-DEUTSCHLAND? Might there be a repository of Kaptiän Paul König’s papers? In early June, the Prince and Princess of Prussia paid a visit to the U-DEUTSCHLAND prior to her departure for Baltimore. Kaptiän König is said to have dubbed the poem his “Lucky Star”

STBaltimore: Try here, Bundesarchiv - Das Bundesarchiv I haven't heard that particular story; where did you find it? Thanks. Dwight

I plucked the story about the prince and the poem out of an early July, 1916, Baltimore City newspaper.

As to our study:

In some small way I believe we are on the verge of reversing the lines of another poem I like which says:

History tends to lose its way
    When pieces of the puzzle are allowed to stray.

STBaltimore: Can you send me the article title, name of the Newspaper, and date of publication? Thanks. Dwight

Dwight,

I'll be sure to send you the story citation about the prince and the poem out of an early July, 1916, Baltimore City newspaper - as soon as I rediscover it.

It appears that if someone were wishing to incorporate unique wordage into the title for a new work on U-DEUTSCHLAND they would have to look no further than "Lucky Star" would they?

Off on a day-long jaunt. Catch you all later - or as Steve might say.... catch up on all of the wonderful postings --- later.

Page 36 of 121 FirstFirst ... 26 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 46 86 ... LastLast