Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 121 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 54 104 ... LastLast

Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Article about: Steve: Thanks for the follow-up on Mont Alto. It looks like Prusse was probably the engineer superintendent of construction on both the Deutschland and the Bremen. His official designation i

Default Re: Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

In the case of the torpedo tubes, I can upload a picture showing the boat in the water where the starboard torpedo tube is shown

All the best

Claas

Claas Stöckmeyer: Tatsächlich kennen wir uns sehr gut. Ich habe Deine ausgezeichnete CD-Rom, Bilder der Handels-U-Boote und der U-Kreuzer U151-U157, und wir haben uns Emails und Briefe geschickt. Also, sagt mir welche Aufnahmen Du haben willst und ich werde sie sofort per Email schicken. Alles beste, Dwight Messimer

I couldn't resist doing that because Claas is an old friend from several years ago, and I was very surprised to see his name on the post. And, yes Claas, your English is still quite good. For those of you who are interested in the U-Deutschland, Claas has an excellent CD-Rom tiled, Bilder der Handels-U-Boote und der U-Kreuzer U151-U157. Dwight.

Claas: Please upload the picture showing the torpedo tube(s) Dwight

Hello Dwight,

here it comes ( I hope):

The picture a few posts before shows up to 99% U155. The camouflage painting is like this sub.

Claas

dont want to say too much on here but i worked with a bloke whom had his own salvage company, and they blew the hatch off a german sub and his partner, the captain/head of dive at the time got 5 years jail for grave robbing, which serve's him right,

Class: That's a great photo; but where are the torpedo tubes? They had to be in the casing. Dwight

Quote by UBremen View Post
    Hello Dwight,

here it comes ( I hope):

The picture a few posts before shows up to 99% U155. The camouflage painting is like this sub.

Claas
    Awesome photo! Welcome to the forum Claas.

Luke

Quote by drmessimer View Post
    Class: That's a great photo; but where are the torpedo tubes? They had to be in the casing. Dwight
    Dwight, the tube is on the bow, right from the anchor on the right side near to the waterline.
    First U155 had 6 tubes under the deck, 3 on each side as you wrote.
    After the first war patrol, U155 get tow bow tubes, because of easier handling.
    A picture of U155 wich shows the side tubes followes tomorow.

By the way: nice tow find here in this forum
    Whats about a new U-deutschland book?

Claas

Claas: You're right that there is a below-the-waterline bow tube on that boat, which would mean the torpedoroom is inside the pressure hull. Could you send me the source for your information about the retro-fit after the first war patrol? I didn'tsee anything in the Records of the German Navy, 1850-1945, Records Group 242, Microfilm Publication T1022, but that doesn't mean it wasn't there. It just means that I missed it. I have given thought to writing an updated version of The Merchant U-Boat in German and trying to sell it to one of the German publishers. If I do take on the job of rewriting, I'll need the source you have. But at the moment, the problem with rewriting the book is that the Naval Institute Press still holds the rights to the book. I'm sure that you are acquainted with the book, Die Handels-U-Boote Deutschland und Bremen: Ein Vergessenes Kapitel der Seefahrt by Hartmut Schwerdtfeger and Erik Herlyn. Dwight

Dwight, you got an email.

here comes the pic showing the side tubes:

The aft tube is bad to see, sorry

What I can say to the post before:
    The napkin ring is not from the Deutschland service, but I think, it is from John Bull.
    I also have a tray (brass) marked with Guaraateed Made from "Deutschland" metal. But the ambossed Sub don't look like the on from John Bull.
    Pics of these trays are following on Saturday (to make you hot ")

Oh, just reading 'Dwights' catalog of John Bull things I find: No. 27. Serviette Rings, electro-plated, best finish, embossed with figure of vessel.
    So I thing the wonder of the napkin rings is solved

A picture of the teaspoon, if you like, following on Saturday, too.

regards
    Claas

Page 4 of 121 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 54 104 ... LastLast