Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 41 of 121 FirstFirst ... 31 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 51 91 ... LastLast

Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Article about: Steve: Thanks for the follow-up on Mont Alto. It looks like Prusse was probably the engineer superintendent of construction on both the Deutschland and the Bremen. His official designation i

Default Re: Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Indeed it was Tin-Pots and Pirate Ships: Canadian Naval Forces and German Sea Raiders 1880-1918. And, it was the first time I had ever heard that there was to have been that amount of significant difference between the sizes of the two submersibles.

Thanks for informing me that Krupp's Oberingenieur Rudolf Erbach's construction drawings were used in the building of both boats making them essentially identically - excepting minor changes.
    Last edited by STBaltimore; 05-08-2012 at 02:51 AM. Reason: punctuation

I found 15 high resolution photos that I had completely forgotten about. Most of them we have seen before, but these are exceptional in their clarity. Here are some of them.
    This is the central control room located directly below the conning tower. Steve sent me a drawing that identified many of the features in the control room and I have inked them into this photo. Hopefully if you click on the picture it will enlarge so that you can read the writing.

This is a shot that we have seen before, but this one is exceptionally sharp. The guy on the far left in the white shirt is the ship's steward, Adolf Stucke, the only crew member who had not previously served in U-boats.

I don't recall if we have this particular shot or not, but it's a good one of the boat approaching Bremen, showing the crowds on the shore.

I included this one because I'm not sure where it was taken, maybe Baltimore. Does anyone know for sure where the boat is in this photo? Dwight

This is a very interesting thread, keep up the good work!

Last edited by drmessimer; 05-23-2012 at 03:32 PM.

Those videos are awesome, Dwight! I'm so glad you found them. Brilliant discovery! Thanks for posting.

Luke

I came across an interesting historical note that involves the U-Deutschland , U-Bremen, and Simon Lake. When the U-Deutschland arrived in Baltimore, Simon Lake threatened to "libel" the boat for patent infringement. Instead, he, the Hilkens, and Norddeutsche Lloyd formed a company to build cargo submarines in the United States for Germany. That much is well documented. In a fairly recent book by Norman Polmar and Kenneth J. Moore, Cold War Submarines: The Design and Construction of U.S. and Soviet Submarines, Brassy's 2004, the authors suggest that the idea for the cargo U-boat might have originated in 1909 when Simon Lake had dinner with Alfred Lohmann (p. 224) and goes on to say that on her 1916 maiden voyage the U-Bremen was "reportedly carrying financial credits for Simon Lake to begin building cargo submarines for Germany." (p. 225) When the United States entered the war, the joint Lake-Hilken-NDL venture fell apart. But in May 1917, Lake chartered the Merchant Submarine Company in Augusta, Maine with a capital investment of $10 million. According to Lake, the company would build cargo submarines that were "unsinkable" and were "much larger than the Deutschland." In his book, The Submarine in War and Peace, J.P. Lippincott Co., 1918, Lake provided drawings of the proposed design, which looks a lot like the U-Deutschland. Here is a reproduction of the Lake illustration from the book.

I'm working on tracking down Polmar's sources on the 1909 dinner and the financial credits. Dwight

Didn't know how many of you with an interest in this fascinating, but little known, story were aware of the following cablegram... the beginning of what may turn out to be a very interesting sidebar thread.

Enjoy,
    STBaltimore

[William] Randolph Hearst, New York: September 15, 1916

Have secured you American rights Captain Koenig’s book provided following arrangements satisfactory. Manuscript approximately thirty thousand words delivered me September twenty. We pay cost translation and agree cable approximately ten thousand words for serial used during month or so required for full text reach America by submarine. You have American rights both English and German text two sets mats latter being forwarded. Profits sale this book go to pension fund Ocean Reiderel. They demand large lump sum but final agreed basis royalty for which they await your offer hoping it liberal as possible. They expect first high class edition book sell for about dollar quarter followed by cheaper popular addition. Book is signed by Koenig is in first person and first five chapters read well. Can send you installment within a week and first publication possibly in Sunday paper will synchronize with event adding interest to story. Tis stipulated that special courtesies be extended Staatszeitung and Fatherland and expectation is your royalty offer to benefit pension fund liberal.

Bayard Hale
    [Hearst’s American Correspondent at Berlin]

Source: Brewing and liquor interests and German propaganda: Hearings before a subcommittee of the Committee on the judiciary, United States Senate, Sixty-fifth Congress, second and third sessions, pursuant to S. res. 307, a resolution authorizing and directing the Committee on the judiciary to call for certain evidence and documents relating to charges made against the United States brewers' association and allied interests and to submit a report of their investigation to the Senate. Printed for the use of the Committee on the judiciary, Volume 2. 1919, page 2428
    Last edited by STBaltimore; 06-06-2012 at 01:34 PM. Reason: added source date of 1919

To that Mr. Hearst replied, or the Hearst American, on the 16th day of September, 1916, as follows:

Bayard Hale,
    American Correspondent, Berlin.
    New York, September 16, 1916.

Desire to donate entire profits of all Koenig book to pension fund. Would like to publish all or large part of book in Sunday American. Believe Sunday publications will help rather than hurt sale of book.

Hearst-American.

STBaltimore: That's interesting. I wonder what actually happened to the royalties after the United States entered the war. Did the Deutsche Ozean Reederei continue to exist as a corporate entity, and did the employees retirement fund actually exist. You're right, that would make an interesting sidebar. Dwight

William Randolph Hearst.
    New York. September 22, 1916.

Berlin twenty one your generous offer donate profits Deutschland deeply appreciated. No objection publication almost entirely Sunday American. Tis hoped, however, publication begin soon. How much shall I cable? Hoped first edition be handsome cloth volume.

Bayard Hale.

[Note: We see that the wording twenty one is close to the cablegram date and may represent the date the agreement was made but it may also be a telegraphic numeric cablegram code for "21 - Collect charges for delivery, guaranteed."]

Page 41 of 121 FirstFirst ... 31 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 51 91 ... LastLast