Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 42 of 121 FirstFirst ... 32 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 52 92 ... LastLast

Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Article about: Steve: Thanks for the follow-up on Mont Alto. It looks like Prusse was probably the engineer superintendent of construction on both the Deutschland and the Bremen. His official designation i

Default Re: Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Quote by drmessimer View Post
    ... Gotthold Prusse, ... also known as William Gotthold Prusse or William Prusse... was employed in the capacity of expert by the Eastern Forwarding Company.

While the U-Deutschland was still in Boston [,did you mean Hilken?] Simon Lake entered into an agreement with the Hilkens and Friedrich Krupp A. G. to build Deutschland type cargo submarines in the United States. Included in the announcement was that “William Prusse, a Krupp engineer,” would supervise the construction with Lake acting as the technical consultant.... On 18 September 1917 [Prusse] was found hanged in his cell, an apparent suicide.

So, who and what was he, really? Dwight
    Good question.

Who was James Lamont Perkins? When at the age of 55, Perkins plunged nine stories to his death from a hotel in Brooklyn, NY on October 27, 1917, less than half a month after Prusse.

At the time of his death, Perkins had been connected with Collier’s and other large publishing houses and at the time of his suicide was employed with a book concern in Manhattan. Could this have been the Deutschland Library Company that Perkins, Paul G.L. Hilken and a gentleman from Boston (Gott Pruess perhaps?) had begun as partners?

Was J.L. Perkins, at the time of his death, manager of Hearst’s Deutschland Library, at 1919 Broadway, in New York City? This name and address comes up in a file of a City of Boston book dealer named Theodore Ritter & Co.

This posting is intended to offer a historical perspective to the information that STBaltimore has posted. The subcommittee that is referred to became known as the Overman Committee. It sat from September 1918 to June 1919, and investigated allegations that the United States Brewers’ Association was involved in pro-German activity during the war. In February 1919 the committee’s focus shifted to the threat of Bolshevism in America. The latter part of its investigation led directly to the “Red Scare” of 1919-1920. The committee’s larger legacy was the 1950’s House Committee on Un-American Activities, which created its own Red Scare.
    The man identified in the telegrams cited in STBaltimore's posts as Bayard Hale, was William Bayard Hale who was an editor, journalist, and author before the war. He was also occasionally identified as Dr. William B. Hale, on the basis that he was a doctor of theology, having been an ordained Episcopal priest before going into journalism. Through a fellow editor and later Ambassador to the UK, Walter Page, Hale became close to President Woodrow Wilson. The relationship started in 1912 when Hale wrote Wilson’s campaign biography, The New Freedom. In 1913 President Wilson sent Hale to Mexico as his personal agent. In 1915, while in Germany, Hale wrote an anti-British book, American Rights and British Pretensions on the Seas, denouncing the British blockade. Exactly what Hale’s relationship was with Hearst is unclear, but he certainly worked for him in some capacity in Germany.
    I have only volume 1 of the 3-part Committee Report, so STBaltimore, who has volume 2, can shed more light on that relationship. Hale is mentioned only three times in volume 1 and in every instance his relationship to Hearst is recognized, but the nature is unclear. Looking at STBaltimore’s posts, it seems to me that Hale acted as Hearst’s literary agent in Berlin, inasmuch as he wrote that he had secured the North American publishing rights to König’s book for Hearst. Whatever Hale’s real position was, he was denounced after the war as disloyal, and fled to Germany where he lived in self-imposed exile until his death in April 1924 in Munich.
    The connection all this has to the U-Deutschland is that she brought two copies of König’s manuscript, one in English and one in German, to New London in November 1917. Since both versions were German propaganda intended for distribution in the United States, the books and Hearst’s involvement with them attracted the Senate committee’s attention. Hale’s shady past and his name on the telegrams to Hearst made him a “person of interest” to the committee. Dwight

whecsailor
    ?

Hello all
    NEED HELP, My first post in this forum as I stumbled upon this thread whilst Surfing the Cyber Sea. I too have a life long devotion to these boats, (Deutschland and Bremen) I call it devotion,, My wife calls it a mental disturbance
    OK to the point, I have a glass Paperweight not as yet listed in this forum Ill post pics of it for you in 5 days when I get home.
    Ok, to the point, One of my 2 Iron Crosses, they type made from her iron ballast, at some point in its life, someone took a wirewheel to one side of it, fortunatly only to the iron. I suspect due to oxidation. Some 30 percent of the black is removed down to the surface. It is not paint, and I think it is not gun bluing, but really do not know. Does someone out there know, ,or even better yet,, anyone know a restoration service for such a thing. as is, one side is nice, the other,, Not so. Thank you.

wecsailor: I'm looking forward to the photo of your glass paperweight. In fact, if you can add photos of the two iron cross paperweights. that would be even better, especially the wire-wheel damage. Anyway, I found this web site that deals with restoring black iron casting, which is what those ballast-made iron crosses are. Take a look at it and see if it will work for you.

Black Iron Blog: Easy Cast Iron Skillet Reconditioning God luck and the Best to you, Dwight

This is a circa 1912 photo of the Hansa Haus in Baltimore. It was the headquarters of Norddeutsche lloyd in Baltimore and was where the offices of the Hilkens' A. Schumacher company and the Eastern Forwarding Company were located. The building was designed by Thomas and Rice Architects and is based on a 17th Century Ratshaus in Halberstadt. I don't know if it's still there or not, but I'm sure that STBaltimore has the answer to that. Dwight

On July 14, a Saturday, Steve Zuke and STBaltimore will be meeting in Philadelphia Pennsylvania, USA. There is a WW 2 American submarine that is open for tours that we will be checking out.

The primary reason for the meeting is to discuss the U-Deutschland and U-Bremen. The debate will surely be a lively one. We will also be bringing photos of the two U-boats and maps to aid in the discussions/arguments/ possible drunken brawl.

If you wish to attend please private message me so that we can send you directions and get a head count.

Hope to see you there,
    Steve Zuke

P.S Don’t forget to bring bail money, just in case.

If you look at the bottom of the oval at about 5 o'clock, you will see what looks like something written. It is in fact the name of the company that cast these souvenirs. It is Interboro M&B Co. which I suspect was located in NYC, but I don't know. Does anyone know anything about this company? Thanks. Dwight

Quote by Steve Zuke View Post
    On July 14, a Saturday, Steve Zuke and STBaltimore will be meeting in Philadelphia Pennsylvania, USA. There is a WW 2 American submarine that is open for tours that we will be checking out.

The primary reason for the meeting is to discuss the U-Deutschland and U-Bremen. The debate will surely be a lively one. We will also be bringing photos of the two U-boats and maps to aid in the discussions/arguments/ possible drunken brawl.

If you wish to attend please private message me so that we can send you directions and get a head count.

Hope to see you there,
    Steve Zuke

P.S Don’t forget to bring bail money, just in case.
    Hey, Steve. I hope you and Walt have a great time. Sounds like it will be fun. That's about an eight hour drive for me plus I'm working that weekend. Be sure to fill us in on all the activities. Make sure you guys have one for me. Bail money! Haha!

Luke

Quote by drmessimer View Post
    If you look at the bottom of the oval at about 5 o'clock, you will see what looks like something written. It is in fact the name of the company that cast these souvenirs. It is Interboro M&B Co. which I suspect was located in NYC, but I don't know. Does anyone know anything about this company? Thanks. Dwight
    Dwight. I searched around and came up empty. I did find one for sale and the description stated that it was struck by Interboro M&S, New York. I'll keep looking. Is this one in your collection?

Luke

?

Recently made pictures in the Bremerhaven museum during my vacation
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model   Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model  

Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

Page 42 of 121 FirstFirst ... 32 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 52 92 ... LastLast