Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 44 of 121 FirstFirst ... 34 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 54 94 ... LastLast

Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Article about: Steve: Thanks for the follow-up on Mont Alto. It looks like Prusse was probably the engineer superintendent of construction on both the Deutschland and the Bremen. His official designation i

Default Re: Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Steve: Thanks for the follow-up on Mont Alto. It looks like Prusse was probably the engineer superintendent of construction on both the Deutschland and the Bremen. His official designation in Baltimore and New London was Lademeister (loadmaster) and he appears to have performed that function as well as working with Leitender Ingenieur (Chief Engineer), Hugo Klees on the work done on the U-Deutschland's diesels in Baltimore. Both Prusse and Klees were awarded the Preußen Königliche Kronenordern. 4. Kl. (Prussian Royal Order of the Crown, 4th Class), though Prusse didn't live to receive his. There is still the question of why did Prusse hang himself? Dwight

Quote by drmessimer View Post
    The third area of artifacts are those that the ship breakers, Robert Smith & Sons, produced using what little metal was still available from the hulk. This bronze tablet was sent to me by a doctor and his wife in Germany who had read my book, The Merchant U-Boat.
    The bronze tablet shown above somewhat appears to be a brass ashtray Dwight. Along those same lines... Do you know if the slang term 'ash can' was being used for depth charges as early as the Great War?

As to your mention of the shipbreakers, I've tried to follow leads for Robert Smith and Sons but, so far, have hit a dead end. T'was hoping to reach someone who may at least have access to photo images of the final days of U-DEUTSCHLAND.

Three members of the U-DEUTSCHLAND Centennial Planning Committee met at Philadelphia's Independence Seaport Museum yesterday and toured both the Armored Cruiser OLYMPIA and Submarine BECUNA prior to retiring to a meeting space provided by the Seaport Museum.

Various extant sites, related to the DEUTSCHLAND'S visit to Baltimore, were touched on. The 80th anniversary of Captain Koenig's death was also a topic of discussion. Next September marks the 80th anniversary and a remembrance at the Port of Baltimore is being planned for 2013.

The U-DEUTSCHLAND Planning Committee touched on a few of the possible ill-fated routes U-BREMEN may have taken on her first and only trans-Atlantic 1916 crossing attempt. Of the items discussed wasn't the legal issue should the BREMEN be discovered. Here's what I 'discovered' today on Wikipedia:

Shipwrecks and the law

Shipwreck law determines important legal questions regarding wrecks, perhaps the most important question being the question of ownership. Legally wrecks are divided into wreccum maris (material washed ashore after a shipwreck) and adventurae maris (material still at sea); although some legal systems treat the two categories differently, others treat them the same.

Wrecks are often considered separately from their cargo. For example, in the English case of the British liner LUSITANIA [1986] QB 384 it was accepted that the remains of the vessel itself were owned by the insurance underwriters who had paid out on the vessel as a total loss by virtue of the law of subrogation (who subsequently sold their rights), but that the property aboard the wreck still belonged to its original owners (or their descendants).

Military wrecks, however, remain under the jurisdiction–and hence protection–of the government that lost the ship, or that government's successor. Hence, a German U-boat from World War II still technically belongs to the German government, even though the Third Reich is long-defunct. Many military wrecks are also protected by virtue of their being war graves.

However, many legal systems allow the rights of salvors to override the rights of the original owners of a wreck or its cargo. As a general rule, non-historic civilian shipwrecks are considered fair game for salvage. Under international maritime law, for shipwrecks of a certain age, the original owner may have lost all claim to the cargo. Anyone who finds the wreck can then file a salvage claim on it and place a lien on the vessel, and subsequently mount a salvage operation (see Finders, keepers).

Some countries assert claims to all wrecks within their territorial waters, irrespective of the interest of the original owner or the salvor. Wartime wrecks have different legal considerations, as they are often considered prizes of war, and therefore owned by the Navy that sunk them.

To read more, please visit: http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shipwreck

STBaltimore: Very interesting posts regarding salvage rights. You asked if the term Ash Can was used to describe a depth charge in WWI, and it was. See Navy Ordnance Activities, World War. 1917-1918, Washington: GPO, 1920, page 100-2. Dwight

I have some interesting figures for you. The keels of the Deutschland and the Bremen were laid 33 days apart, Deutschland on 9 November 1915 and Bremen on 12 December 1915.
    Both boats required 139 days from keel laying to launch, Deutschland was launched on 28 March 1916 and Bremen was launched on 30 April 1916.
    From the date of Deutschland’s launch, 28 March 1916, until she was turned over to the Deutsche Ozean Reederei on 5 May 1916 was just 38 days and that includes her sea trials which lasted just five weeks. But the time elapsed from Bremen’s launch until she was turned over to the DOR was 81 days, just over twice as long.
    I don’t know why so much more time was required to bring the Bremen to the point at which she could be turned over to DOR. But I wonder if 2X difference in time might be connected to her disappearance on her maiden voyage. I am wondering if there were some serious mechanical problems with the boat that delayed her being turned over to DOR and that those mechanical problems were not entirely resolved when she left Helgoland.
    From the date that the Deutschland was turned over to the DOR, it was 47 days before she departed on her first trip. The Bremen was ready and gone in 37 days. I don’t know that the 10-day difference is significant or not, but there might have been a push to get her on her way. Dwight

Hkdude
    ?

Hello, Great thread!
    Here is a coin I have that has not been shown yet. I have the paper weight but can't seem to locate it. I'm very glad that I am able to add to this thread even though it is just a picture. Regards, Randy

Seems I will have to figure out how to post the pictures. Not able to do it from my iPhone sorry

HKdude: Welcome to the thread. We would like to see the coin, hopefully you can post if from your PC. Dwight

Have any of you seen this paperweight before?

http://images.cloud.worthpoint.com/w...c11ccf3b67.jpg

It sold at Ebay early last year/

The link doesn't work for me.

Luke

Page 44 of 121 FirstFirst ... 34 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 54 94 ... LastLast