Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 47 of 121 FirstFirst ... 37 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 57 97 ... LastLast

Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Article about: Steve: Thanks for the follow-up on Mont Alto. It looks like Prusse was probably the engineer superintendent of construction on both the Deutschland and the Bremen. His official designation i

Exclamation Re: Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

I found another article that could lead to finding another piece of the U-DEUTSCHLAND'S ballast. Here's what I found:

HAS DEUTSCHLAND SOUVENIR: Brother Paul, Of St. Mary's Industrial School, Has Piece Of Iron Brought Over As Ballast
    Among the most treasured possessions of Brother Paul, superintendent of St. Mary’s Industrial School, is a circular bit of iron, nickel-plated, about two inches in diameter by one inch long and slightly tapered. The piece does duty as a paper weight but has a distinction all its own.
    It came from Germany in the hold of the Deutschland as ballast. Brother Paul believes that the piece of metal is a scrap from one of the big guns constructed by the Krupp works. A similar souvenir is to be given by Brother Paul to Mount St. Joseph’s College, to be placed in the museum there.

Source : Baltimore newspapers July 31, 1916.
    __________________________________________________ ____
    Mount Saint Joe is about 15 minutes from my haus via auto. I called the school early this afternoon and left a phone message. Their museum artifacts are currently stored away on account of renovations. I will keep you all informed when the returned phone call occurs --- Trivia, Trivia, all is Trivia!
    >wink< But the drama lives on!
    Last edited by STBaltimore; 09-06-2012 at 02:06 AM.

Default Re: Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

STBaltimore: Good luck at Mt. St. Joseph’s College and if you are successful, take a lot of photos. We would all really like to see them. You asked two questions in your previous post, one questioning the material that the item Hank posted was made of. I’m with you, it does look like copper and all the ballast was iron. Maybe it was plated, but that’s just a big “maybe.”

You also asked what became of the first trip ballast. I don’t know the answer and all I can offer is that I have never seen anything about it being donated or sold to any “charitable” group. Since the press coverage in Baltimore was virtually total, I can’t believe that such a donation or sale would have gone unreported. But the release of twenty tons of ballast in New London for conversion to souvenirs was reported in several newspapers. Here is what I do know about the first trip ballast.

With the exception of an unspecified quantity of “iron rivets and iron plugs,” and fifty iron blocks, the ballast consisted entirely of “scrap iron in pig form.” The rivets and plugs were deemed taxable and stored in the customs warehouse. All the scrap iron ballast was loaded into the George May and on 31 July the barge was moved to “Pier 7 Canton.” I don’t know what happened to the fifty iron blocks.

Based on the weight of her homeward-bound cargo, 782 tons, it appears none of the ballast was put back aboard. The boat was rated at 750 tons in the Handelsregister, but she could actually carry up to 800 tons. As for the fate of the ballast left in Baltimore, my guess is that it remained there and was seized along with all the German ships upon our entry into the war on 6 April 1917. Dwight

Thumbs up Re: Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Dwight, Good info on the ballast being loaded aboard the barge GEORGE MAY at Baltimore. Thanks! Now we are getting somewhere.

I spoke to a gent at Mt. St. Joe's who is going to look into the artifact that Brother Paul intended to donate to their museum. He sounds as if he's on board with our research efforts too. Whoopie! I've sent him the transcribed July 31st 1916 newspaper account for his files a few minutes ago. Now it is a matter of time before the piece of ballast is actually either identified as being in their collection or mentioned somewhere in their registrar's book if the item has left their possession.

Wink Re: Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

The policy of secrecy which the owners of the merchant submarine Deutschland have followed was suspended in the case of the marine artist, Mr. Henry Reuterdahl, when he was permitted to make sketches of the interior. The following notes are based on observations made by Mr. Reuterdahl during his several hours' visit aboard the vessel :

The Deutschland is 230 feet in length and is built on the usual system of a circular hull proper, with what might be called an enlarged false hull outside of this. The beam of the hull proper is 17 feet ; the full beam of the ship, out to out, is about thirty feet. She is driven by Diesel engines developing 1200 horsepower. The engines have six cylinders and are arranged two on each shaft. The speed on the surface is 14 Knots, and submerged 7 knots. The time consumed in submerging from surface conditions is two minutes. According to Captain Koenig, the total distance run under the submerged condition on the last trip from Germany was 180 miles.

American shipping men and naval architects estimate her cargo capacity at 750 tons ; according to Captain Koenig, it is 1000 tons.

The entire crew, with officers, consists of 29 men.

The conning tower, according to Mr. Reuterdahl, is superior to the type used on our submarines. It carries no loose gear (collapsible surface material) which must be removed previous to diving.

The Deutschland, like all the later German submarines, is always ready for submergence. The removal of the repeater compass in the conning tower and closing the hatch are all that is necessary.

Steering is done from the conning tower, where large ports give clear all-round vision. The German conning towers are large enough to hold four men. When the vessel is submerging, the conning tower is cut off by closing a hatch between it and the interior.

The periscopes, of which there are two, are of great power and remarkable clarity, and in these respects are superior to American periscopes. The periscope in the conning tower is hoisted and lowered electrically; that in the operating compartment is hoisted by a chain-drive operated by hand. None of our own submarines have housing periscopes.

The Deutschland's periscopes, it is stated by Mr. Reuterdahl, are of much greater efficiency than those on our submarines, and the difference in clarity of vision is something that must be tested to be appreciated.

The principal arrangements for air control and the working of the various tanks are about the same as in the American navy. Those American officers who visited the Deutschland were impressed with the high-class workmanship apparent, particularly of the engines and air compressors. There is nothing about the vessel to indicate that it was built during the rush of war time : every part is as carefully finished as would be expected in normal conditions.

A peculiarity of construction is that there is no ventilation cowl or funnel to supply air for the Diesel engines. By an ingenious method the conning tower is so arranged that air vents open and close automatically the moment the ship emerges or submerges.

The deck is flush and clear of gear of any kind, pockets being provided for the reception of masts, anchors, etc., the former being raised and lowered by quadrants at their lower ends operated by electric motors. A small lifeboat is secured to the superstructure.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Notes on the Merchant Submarine Deutschland. Anon.
    (Scientific American, vol. cxvi, No. 6, p. 151, February 10, 1917.) —

Quote by drmessimer View Post
    I just looked at the site Hank posted. Here's a contest for you, how many errors are there in the blurb accompanying the items for sale? I don't know if total ignorance about the facts has anything to do with the price asked, but in this case I would say the relationship is proportional, i. e. ratio of degree of ignorance to outrageousness of the price is 1:1. Below is the blurb in question.

U-Boat Deutschland souvenir ensemble. This extremely rare was offered for purchase as a souvenir of the tuour made by the German U-Boat “Deutschland in 1910. It became a high media attention event as the U-Boat was a curiosity at the time. Captained by Paul Koenig the U-Boat made stops at a number of American ports including Baltimore and Philidelphia. Built as a merchant vessel for transporting cargo with a capacity of 700 tons. The Deutschland was designed for transporting cargo between Germany and the United States . The German Kriegsmarine took command of the Deutschland on February 19, 1917 and the Deutschland was designated U-155 after being re-fitted with deck guns and six torpedo tubes. U-155 finished the war credited with three war missions and sinking 42 ships. U-155 surrendered on November 24, 1918 and sold for scrap in 1921. By any wartime standards the U-155 ( Deutscheland) had an outstanding record of success. This set includes a souvenir beer tray featuring the submarine beneath a portrait of Capitan König. The serving tray reads, “ Beer Drivers Union – Local 132-Philadelphia and Vicinity.” Accompanying the offer is an Iron cross medallion with a portrait of König on one side and the Deutschland on the other. The clothbound book, “VOYAGE OF THE DEUTSCHLAND” published in 1916 by Hearst’s International library, Inc. is in excellent condition having minor separations of pages with the binding. Very rare. $500.

Hank: That's a very nice piece; where did you get it? Actually, the ballast used to cast the souvenirs sold in the US was brought to New London on the 2nd trip. Obviously, by identifying the piece as having been made from ballast carried on the first trip, the sellers were "sweetening the pot." Twenty tons of the ballast was given to the American relief Committee for Orphans and Widows of the War. Dwight
    I'll try another one of these errors, Dwight. When was this trip to Philadelphia? Maybe if we guess all the mistakes the dealer will sell us this lot at an affordable price! Who's next?

Luke

I don't know exactly when that was Luke, but it might have been on the previously unreported trip in 1910 referred to when he wrote, "...a souvenir of the tuour made by the German U-Boat “Deutschland in 1910." Actually, given the circumstances as described in his sales pitch, $500 is a bargain. The book itself wasn't published until 1916, so the copy offered must be a rare advance copy, and the EK paperweight would have to fall into the same category. Dwight

THE BREMEN – London, Tuesday: The admiralty states that there is no official confirmation of the rumor that a cruiser sank the submarine Bremen off Nantucket. “We have no news and are unable to talk.”

The impression is, however, gradually gaining ground that she must have met an adverse fate. Another official said: “If you let me know whether the Bremen got clearance papers from a German port I will answer your question.” He was then asked whether that might be an intimation that she had never left German waters. He replied, “I am not saying anything.” He winked, and added that he hoped the Germans would try to get many merchant submarines past the allied warships.

Source: The Barrier Miner, Thursday, August 17, 1916, front page, Broken Hill, Sidney, Australia.

Sorry it's taken me so long to get around to it folks, but now's the time to go over what happened in Philadelphia on July 14.
    ST Baltimore, Steven Zukosky (Steve Zuke), and Bob met up in Philadelphia at the Independence Seaport Museum on a very rainy Saturday. We figured that since it was raining so hard our best bet was to tour the inside of the Museum first and then tackle the ships docked outside. I can go on and on about the fantastic ship models, the oil paintings, the pieces of machinery, and all the other incredible pieces that make up the Museum, but I am afraid you just have to see it all for yourself to believe it.

It just so happened as the weather cleared when we finished our inside tour. We quick ran out and got on board the Olympic, which was Adm. Dewey's flagship during the Spanish-American war. It was nice and dry on board, which was good because the rain promptly started coming down in buckets again. The three of us started walking around and commenting on the antiques and what life would've been like to work on board this ship. The jokes and the quick witted comments that were flying around never stopped, and cause me to smile so much my face hurt.

Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model
    Olympia, STBaltimore and Steve

As we were nearing the end of our walking tour of the Olympia things took a turn in an unexpected direction. We bumped into one of the maintenance people that took care of the Olympia. Well it just so happens that ST Baltimore and JD (who in real life was a licensed first-class boiler man) have spent countless hours working on floating museums down in Baltimore. After the secret handshake was exchanged, we found ourselves getting a guided tour of the sealed off engineering sections of the ship. This was my fourth time on board the Olympic and I have never been down on these levels, they're just not open to the public. The engine room would take your breath away; it is everything you could possibly imagine in old-fashioned steamship. The huge Pistons were there of course, the giant crankshaft dozens of brass gauges, and 15+ different steam engines that ran various things on a ship. While ST Baltimore and JD talk to our host and tour guide I did nothing but take pictures. The facts and the stories that our tour guide put forth were positively amazing. The questions and comments added by ST Baltimore and JD took the conversation to a whole new level. I just wish you all could have been there. I was able to get some fantastic photos but unfortunately I didn't have a wide enough angle lens to fit it all in. So I ended up getting a lot of great shots of individual pieces of machinery. After close to an hours time we bid farewell to our host (and thanked profusely) and moved onto the next attraction.

Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model
    The Olympia's rarely seen engine room.

The American submarine Becuna was built during World War II and served for many years after the surrender. The museum staff and volunteers have done a fantastic job of maintaining the submarine and keeping in very good working order. The three of us started at the bow torpedo room and worked our way to the Stern torpedo room, commenting on every single piece of equipment as we went. We had flashlights and were able look at all the nooks and crannies. There was much discussion and comparing of the U-Deutschland and the U-Bremen. We covered what type of instruments would be found on each, and the difference 27 years in technology made in the instrumentation and engine design.

Steve (on rail), STBaltimore (middle), JD (in back)

After we finished our tour of the submarine the rain had let up enough so that we could walk into town for a bite to eat. We ended up eating at a fantastic Chinese restaurant within walking distance of the museum. The food was great, but the conversation was even better. The meal took two hours to finish. We ended up discussing all the things we had seen that day, plus some World War I history, and during dessert we had pretty much solved all of the world's current political problems. You couldn't ask for a better meal.

After lunch we headed back to the museum, were earlier in the day we had made arrangements with the museum staff to borrow a small room. Both ST Baltimore and myself went out tour vehicles and collected all of our material on the U- Deutschland and U- Bremen (thank God the rain had stopped). We had brought books, charts, blueprints, photographs, and the whole list the possibilities. We spent the next two or three hours going over all the topics and material we could possibly think of concerning the Deutschland and Bremen. Dwight had shipped me out a couple dozen photographs and an original World War I German U-boat chart which we used to discuss the possible routes the Bremen would've taken to make it to the United States. We also discussed just where we thought the U-Bremen rest on the bottom of the ocean. We also discussed much of the information (and participants) that has been put forth on the war relics website. We wished you all could have been there. ST Baltimore also went over some of the early plans for a get together in 2016 in Baltimore on board the USS Savanna near where the Deutschland was tied up on its first voyage. We are hoping to put together quite a display about the U- Deutschland and U- Bremen on board the Savanna. More information will be forthcoming on this get together as the date gets closer.

Looking for the U-Bremen

It must have been around six o'clock or so that we broke up and headed home. We all hated to say goodbye but it was a long drive for both of us and we need to get started. The only regret I have is that we should have got hotel rooms and picked up where we left off on Sunday. After all this time we barely scratched the surface of the events surrounding the first merchant U-boats.

Talk to you soon,
    Steve

PS- Adding pictures to my man cave, will post soon.

Thumbs up Re: Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Wow! What a great write up. Are you sure you aren't an undercover journalist posing as an engineer Zuke?

The four-day 49th International Submariner Association's Convention ended yesterday in Keiv, Ukraine.

I was informed by one of its delegates to the convention that the Port of Baltimore was going to be discussed as one of the 53rd convention locations for 2016. The actual vote for their 2016 conference will occur during the 2013 convention.

As you may already know, our 2016 DEUTSCHLAND/BREMEN committee has been in contact with the Peter Deilmann Cruise Co. which owns the 500 passenger mid-size luxury liner M.V. DEUTSCHLAND. This vessel has and continues to visit U.S. ports. Our talks with Deilmann does not preclude engaging other cruise lines (such as Hapag-Lloyd) in conversations about July of 2016 at Baltimore. So if you know anyone in the shipping industry you'd like to send our way feel free to do so. They may inquire at:

steamboatcompany@yahoo.com
    Last edited by STBaltimore; 09-26-2012 at 01:54 AM. Reason: Spelling

Welcome back, Steve. I thought you were MIA!
    Great post. Those are some fantastic pictures! It sure looks like you and Walt had a good time. Did you guys uncover anything? Any new theories or ideas?
    Thanks for posting these photos and filling us in on your trip.

Luke

Page 47 of 121 FirstFirst ... 37 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 57 97 ... LastLast