Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 50 of 121 FirstFirst ... 40 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 60 100 ... LastLast

Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Article about: Steve: Thanks for the follow-up on Mont Alto. It looks like Prusse was probably the engineer superintendent of construction on both the Deutschland and the Bremen. His official designation i

Default Re: Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

This John Bull Deutschland souvenir is currently on British Ebay. The high bid as of this time (0900 PST 26 November 2012) is 48£ or about $76 and there are 4 days left. I am amazed at the amount it is going for since it is at least 20X the price one of these went for in the 1990's. Is it a matter of inflation or have these items actually increased that much in value? Either way, if this auction is indicative of current reality, Class's collection must be worth a fortune today, and even my small collection has a healthy value appreciation.

My son and I talked about this today and he thinks this thread has something to do with it. In his words, "That thread you guys posted on the Forum undoubtedly attracted a lot of viewers and generated a lot of interest among collectors who previously knew little or nothing about the field. From having just a few hard-case aficionados, your interest has suddenly developed a host of new adherents who are eager to obtain whatever is left to have." Dwight

Click here: JOHN BULL WWI SOUVENIR BADGE MADE FROM SUBMARINE 'DEUTSCHLAND' | eBay

Hi Dwight, prices must have risen like everything else since the 90's.

But I think your Son has made a very good point.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Ade: You're sure right about the increase in prices across the board since the 90's. I am just surprised at the interest the current auction apparently represents in what until now has been an area with few interested collectors. Apparently there are more out there than I thought, or they have a lot more cash for the hobby that I thought probable. Rats! The "good old day" are over when you could frequently find genuine U-Deutschland artifacts on Ebay at reasonable prices. I suppose that the fact that about all we usually find today are postcards means the good stuff is in very short supply now. Which underscores a basic point we learned in Economics 1A, cost is determined by supply and demand. Dwight

Exclamation Re: Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi gents - Who knew that the eyes of the Globe were upon us?

I'd wager that a ton more than what we've already seen surface would come out of the woodwork if only we could inspire the present-day-volk dwelling at or near the Port of Baltimore where U-DEUTSCHLAND made such a tremendous impact.

Perhaps one of the best forums to sign up to would be the German-American discussion boards at Der Wecker. I've been informed that a few here have actually registered to contribute there but, as yet, have made no strokes of cyber ink. Should we choose to send out a spread of fish (with our continued postings here and at Der Wecker) we're bound to make some noise.

OK... I've said my piece. Now I'll take her back down to periscope depth and await whatever surface movement that might be stirring.

Dwight: I would agree with your son. I definitely would fall into that category. Thanks for posting the John Bull Deutschland souvenir that's up on Ebay. I put it on watch. Are you going to bid? It's nice to see something other than postcards. I might give it a shot if it doesn't go to high.

Luke

Luke: I put a bid on it early in the auction, but mine was quickly surpassed. Though I'm starting to believe that the prices on these artifacts really has icreased dramatically, I'm not yet ready to pay $70+ for that particular item. My guess is that it will go beyond $100 USD. Dwight

Good Lord, I think we may have created a monster!

Now we can’t afford to buy anything…..Bugger!

I wonder what could get for my ash tray?

Steve

Steve: A cool mil if you haven't been using it. Talk about high figures, I read that a WWII German steel helmet, in truly mint condition, just sold for $18000 in an auction in Europe. Did you get my email regarding the online version of Fayle's Seaborne Trade? The best part about it is that it's free. Dwight

Quote by Jensen View Post
    Hi

... [P]hoto of U-Deutschland

Regards
    Jensen
    Great detailed image of U-DEUTSCHLAND'S foredeck Jensen. Nice detail of her lead starboard side telescoping mast tucked in too. Too bad it doesn't show the sub's name painted with its lettering of gold laid on in an arc.

As to the decking, I must go with Steve Zuke concerning his theory of incised hand/foot holds added to her curved sides (forward of the conn/sail) sometime between the merchantman's two trips to America.

I think that our fellow researcher "U-Bremen" identified Jensen's especially-telling port side image:

... as the U-BREMEN and not U-DEUTSCHLAND by it NOT displaying the unique black marking at the latter's stern. Notice any other differences between the two cargo carriers?

Ain't it just swell how all of this schtuff is resurfacing after nearly 100 years? I for one don't want to get involved in the artifact bidding wars of collectors. I only hope that once they receive their newly bidded prizes that they will then be willing to share images of them with us.

I have added a new item to my U-Deutschland collection, one which I thought I might never have. It's the Ritterkreuz des Hausordens Hohenzollern, which was awarded to Paul König. This is not THE medal he received, but an identical one that I bought from a reputable dealer in Karlsruhe, Sascha Wöschler. There is an interesting historical note associated with this particular medal in that it has the swords. With the exception of Paul König, all the crew members and project civilians received the civilian versions of the medals awarded, in keeping with the cover story that the crewmen were all merchant seamen. The civilian medals had no swords. For some reason, the Kaiser awarded König the military version with swords. The medals below the Ritterkreuz des Hausordens Hohenzollern are the:
    Preussen Rote Adlerorden 4. Kl. given to Henry Hilken, Paul Hilken, and Capt. Friederich Hinsch (left, second row)
    Preussen Königliche Kronenordern 4. Kl. given to Franz Kraphol, Paul Eyring, Leitenderingenieur Klees, and Oberingenieru Rudolf Erbach (right 2nd row)
    Preussen Allgemeine ehrenzeichin Silber and Bronze, (third row left and right respectfully) given to the enlisted and warrant crewmembers according to rank.

Page 50 of 121 FirstFirst ... 40 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 60 100 ... LastLast