Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 52 of 121 FirstFirst ... 2 42 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 62 102 ... LastLast

Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Article about: Steve: Thanks for the follow-up on Mont Alto. It looks like Prusse was probably the engineer superintendent of construction on both the Deutschland and the Bremen. His official designation i

Default Re: Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Way to go Dwight!,

Keep it coming! I love the new pictures of the Central Command Station. I would give my left...... arm for 72 hours with the original glass negatives. The magic I could work with them would blow your mind. Sorry, I digress, Jensen I need more time to look at the engine material. No matter what is there, we can always compare it to what was on the U-Deutschland. Tangents can be very informative and interesting.

As far as purchasing U-Deutschland/Bremen artifacts is concerned, I cannot afford to pay these new prices, let alone the old ones, so I will do what I have always done; make my own. I just got a new job and have computer with AutoCAD 2013, and a new state of the art plotter that prints photo quality plots 48 inches wide by whatever you want. The things I will be able to create are only limited by my skill and imagination. The fact that the blue prints for the merchant U-boats were blown up in WW ll, and that Eberhard Rossler will not let us play with his secret stash is irrelevant, I am an engineer, I will make my own!! BAHA, BAHHA, BAHHAHHA!!!

(I have been working on the laugh!)

Steve

PS. STBaltimore you are going to need more wall space on the NS Savannah in 2016 for the stuff I will be bringing.

Steve: If this is means anything, I took this from Gröner, Die deutschen Kriegsschiffe, 1815-1945, vol. 1, regarding the diesel engines installed in the U-Deutschland/U-155, "2 Germania-6 zyl. Viertact-Diesel...nicht umsteuerbar..." which translates to, "2 Germania 6 cyl. 4-stroke...not revesable...." Dwight

OUR READERS WRITE

Editor’s Note: Several readers have pointed out to us that Captain Koenig is not the tall man with the field glasses around his neak, but the officer to his immediate left in the same row. Others who offered details about the submarine’s 1916 visit to Baltimore included an 85 year-old reader, related by marriage to Captain Koenig, another woman descended from the vessel’s radio officer, and a Baltimore Gas & Electric Co. engineer who has in his possession one of the Iron Crosses that the Deutschland’s company distributed here as souvenirs.
    Sir: I was especially interested in your article “Mail By Submarine” because I met the captain, Paul Koenig, on Charles street outside the Belvedere Hotel when the submarine was in our harbor, and obtained from him his autograph, which after 59 years I still have in my possession.

Although it is written in pencil the signature is very clear and legible.

Louis Frank, Baltimore

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sir: It was with intense interest and considerable excitement that I read the article in The Sun Magazine, “Mail – Germany to Baltimore - by Submarine.”

We moved to Harford county in 1959 into an old, old house which today is over 175 years old. The place needed much cleaning, renovating and tender, loving care.

In the process of cleaning out one of the barns, we had to remove a huge pile of manure. In the debris, we found, among other things, an iron cross that fascinated us. After considerable cleaning, we were able to see what was on it. On one side was ZUR. ERNNERUNG. AN. UE OR UIE. ANKUNFT. DES. ERSTEN. HANDELS. U-BOOTES. This surrounded a picture of a submarine. On the other side was IN BALTIMORE 10 JULY – U DEUTSCHLAND – PAUL KONIG CAPITAN. This surrounded a picture of Captain Konig, I presume. It is very definite – the spelling on the cross is Konig not Koenig.

Well, we knew the Deutschland had been a submarine, but why she was in Baltimore waters in 1916 or how the iron cross got into our barn, we surely did not know.

So we have used it as a good paperweight, and naturally it has become a topic of conversation for our visitors.

Now your article has cleared up the mystery. Evidently the family living here in 1916 went to Baltimore to see the Deutschland and purchased a souvenir to bring back – our iron cross.

Many thanks for clearing up a real mystery for us. Mrs. J.R. Cloomer – Jarrettsville

Editor’s note: In regard to the spelling of the captain’s name, it should be pointed out that in the original German, the “o” of “Konig” would have above it in the German diacritical mark called an umlaut. When German words containing this mark are printed in English, a “e” is often added after the vowel over which the umlaut would have appeared in German. It is simply a way of indicating how the word is pronounced in German , and does not mean the word is misspelled.

Hey guys. I was very happy to receive this in the mail the other day from a friend.
    Thank you, Dwight!

Luke

Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and ModelCargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

A while back there was a discussion about two "bumps" that Claas spotted on U-Deutschland. Today, while going through old Bureau of Investigation records, I found this in one of the documents. The specific source for this is: Microfilm Publication M1085, Investigative Case Files of the Bureau of Investigation, 1908-1922, Old German Files, 1909-1921, Neutrality Matter #8000-1634, "Inre: Eastern Forwarding Company, Neutrality Matter, 13 July 1916." This is an excerpt from a report of inspection aboard the U-Deutschland while she was in Baltimore. This doesn't tell us what they were or exactly where they were, but it does confirm that something that looked like "bumps" was there. Dwight

Quote by drmessimer View Post
    A while back there was a discussion about two "bumps" that Claas spotted on U-Deutschland. Today, while going through old Bureau of Investigation records, I found this in one of the documents. The specific source for this is: Microfilm Publication M1085, Investigative Case Files of the Bureau of Investigation, 1908-1922, Old German Files, 1909-1921, Neutrality Matter #8000-1634, "Inre: Eastern Forwarding Company, Neutrality Matter, 13 July 1916." This is an excerpt from a report of inspection aboard the U-Deutschland while she was in Baltimore. This doesn't tell us what they were or exactly where they were, but it does confirm that something that looked like "bumps" was there. Dwight
    Hello Dwight, hello everybody,

that sounds interesting. But it is destroying the wish only the Bremen has got these bumps.

Now two pics making me smile:

It is the small hinged table shown in the journal from your collection (1st page of these thread). I fond it on ebay.

Kind regards

Claas

Hello Claas, welcome back. Great to hear from you. Nice pick up off of Ebay!

Luke

Claas: It's good to see that you are still with us, I was about to call the IRC to check on you. And what a great reporting-in post. Just two days ago I was looking at the John Bull catalog and I wondered if that table was out there somewhere , and bingo; you have it. I am truly envious. Dwight

Now wonder why I can never find anything on good ebay anymore. You know Claas, I have an antique bottle of German beer that would look great on that table. Ship the table over to me and I will send you a nice color picture of the bottle on the table back. You have my word on it.

Good catch, welcome back, you have been missed.

Steve

Dwight,

The bumps on the U-Deutschland must have been much smaller than the large mystery bumps on the U-Bremen. We have dozens of photos of the U-Deutschland and we have never seen anything close to the size of what we have seen on the U-Bremen. It is sad that we do not have access to the old glass negatives of the U-Bremen. We could blow the image up so much; you would think that you were standing on the deck next to the bump.

Claas, what about you? Do you have any glass negatives of our favorite u-boat lying around?

You know, along the same thread, there are probably glass negatives of the U-Deutschland in the archives of the newspapers in Baltimore. If we had access to some of those we could blow them up and count the rivets on the hull, and read the serial number off the periscope. We could probably get another 50 pages worth of material out of those photographs alone, not to mention the pictures that were not used, but still kept on hand. I cannot believe I did not think of this before. Dwight, do you know anyone in Baltimore that is a history buff, likes u-boats, has a lot of contacts, and has the ability to pull some of the most amazing stuff out of thin air???

Steve

P.S Merry Christmas everyone. The minions and I wish you all a happy and healthy new year.

Page 52 of 121 FirstFirst ... 2 42 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 62 102 ... LastLast