Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 59 of 121 FirstFirst ... 9 49 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 69 109 ... LastLast

Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Article about: Steve: Thanks for the follow-up on Mont Alto. It looks like Prusse was probably the engineer superintendent of construction on both the Deutschland and the Bremen. His official designation i

Arrow Re: Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Must admit boys that she has quite a nice, humm.... fantail - in or out of the water.

Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Default Re: Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Luke: That's the one. Thanks for posting that. Dwight

Do you want to listen to Paul Königs voice? Here you can:

Deutsches Historisches Museum: Rede: U-Boot-Kapitän König über seine USA-Fahrt, 1916

Regards
    Claas

This is another great rediscovery Claas. Any chance of having it translated into English text sometime in the near future?

Danke,

Dwight: is it possible for you to translate the Paul König speech into English?

Regards
    Claas

Have you all seen this model that would have been classified as a half-hull except for the addition of the conning tower?

Class: Thanks for posting the radio transcription of König's speech. The volume is a tad low on my PC, but I'll do my best to translate the speech and post it here. I was waiting for the band to play Die Wacht am Rhein at the end of the speech, but it wasn't there. Disappointing. STBaltimore, Thanks for that half model post of the U-deutschland. I have thought of doing something like that, but other things got in the way. maybe this summer I will take that on as a summer project. Dwight

Thumbs up Re: Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Quote by drmessimer View Post
    ... that half[-hulled] model... of the U-deutschland... maybe this summer I will take that on as a summer project. Dwight
    Eh, hopefully as a resin mold casting? That way we all could give you a little something for your time and effort and have our very own half-hull to display on our very own bulkheads. Just think... everyone but Zuke - he could hang his on the wall of his man cave.

Reading your recent posting, I never imagined what a model maker you have been. Bravo mate!

Dwight,

The HMS Barlaong would have hunted the U-155, and would have considered it the high point of it war service to have sunk it. I therefore think it would be appropriate for you to post some photos of your model on this forum. I assure you that should you decide to post any photos of your other models I will gladly come up with more indirect and obtuse ways to link it to the U-Deutschland and Bremen.

Very seriously,
    Zuke

Zuke,

Want to work HMS Baralong, also known as HMS Wyandra, into the thread? Why not?

I have a captured image of the light cruizer EMDEN. The photo is from April, 1936 on her visit to the Port of Baltimore. EMDEN was moored on the outbound side of the Broadway Recreation Pier in the Fell's Point section of the city.

Germany, Navy: Emden - (Cruiser) | 1936 | 1 | 328-7 | Click the URL and see if the image appears.

The image shows the Recreation Pier on the right hand side. The attached four story ball-room structure is out of the image to the right. The street in the foreground is Thames - pronounced locally as Thames like James instead of Tems as it is pronounced in England.

If the URL opens for you, continue to click ahead and see Mayor Jackson of Baltimore being welcomed aboard EMDEN by the crew at "present arms" with the ball-room visible further down the length of the pier's second level on the left.

It is interesting to note that Captain Paul Koenig, commander of the U-DEUTSCHLAND stood atop that very same 2nd tier pier roof to receive an award exactly twenty years earlier. In 1916, Koenig and his officers were given an honorary dinner in the grand ball room at the head of Broadway Recreation Pier. Both the pier and the ball room are extant though not normally open to the public. I can have that changed by 2016 perhaps.

When the EMDEN visited Baltimore in 1936, Captain Koenig had already slipped the bonds of Earth three years earlier.

Page 59 of 121 FirstFirst ... 9 49 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 69 109 ... LastLast