Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 61 of 121 FirstFirst ... 11 51 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 71 111 ... LastLast

Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Article about: Steve: Thanks for the follow-up on Mont Alto. It looks like Prusse was probably the engineer superintendent of construction on both the Deutschland and the Bremen. His official designation i

Exclamation Spirits of the Abandoned in Baltimore

Please find some very interesting images of the Baltimore City Pier at Broadway in this haunting link:

Spirits of the Abandoned Fells Point Recreation Pier Gallery

Enjoy,

?

Default Re: Spirits of the Abandoned in Baltimore

As requested, here are a few pictures of Deutschland related keepsakes.

Koenig's book issued to seamen. Stamped information on lower right hand corner was superimposed.
    The book was actually stamped on the inside of the cover.

The following are two pages from my grandfather's assignment book.
    The second graphic has Captain Koenig's signature.

The following are a few medals and keepsakes given to my grandfather for serving on the Deutschland.

Default Re: Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Howie: Thanks for sharing some of your grandfathers items. Really nice!

Luke

Quote by rogge16 View Post
    Howie: Thanks for sharing some of your grandfathers items. Really nice! Luke
    Ditto for me too Howie! Thanks for joining us.

Question Time For Another U-Deutschland Revelation?

I've just re-discovered another set of photos showing U-DEUTSCHLAND arriving at the Port of Baltimore that gives rise to something I was wondering about until now.

Here's an image link showing the Motor Launch EFCO at the sub's port bow and the Steam Tug THOMAS F. TIMMINS astern on the starboard side. The TIMMINS seems to have a line to the sub easing her in reverse - perhaps into the Quarantine Anchorage.

http://tribune-files.imagefortress.c...JPG?1337402697

U-DEUTSCHLAND'S two masts are not up in the photo yet she has them up on arrival at McLean's Pier on South Locust Point in Baltimore Harbor. This leads me to believe that submersible didn't raise her two radio masts while transiting up the Chesapeake Bay and only put them up after the vessel cleared at the Quarantine station at Leading Point near Thoms Cove.

It is interesting to note that U-DEUTSCHLAND also had her two masts up after arriving back in home waters. Are there images of her also using the high masts upon her second arrival at Bremen? I ask this because we know that when she left New London she was wearing antennae wires that stretched just up over the conning tower and not on the high poles.

Thumbs up Yet Another U-Deutschland Detailed Image

I think it was a good thing for our observations that it rained the morning U-DEUTSCHLAND arrived at the Port of Baltimore because of the detail it reveals on the hull of the submarine.

Here's what I mean...

http://tribune-files.imagefortress.c...JPG?1337402759

Enjoy,

Default What Happened to EFCO

According to DANFS' (1) history entry located on the Naval Historical Center web site and transcribed by Joseph M. Radigan, NavSource Online, the motor launch EFCO was built in 1912 at Elkton, Maryland, north of the Port of Baltimore.

It was acquired (one report lists her as being a seized enemy vessel) eleven months after World War One began by the United States Navy (at an unspecified location) on March 12th 1918 and placed in service that same day.

Her particulars were as follows:

Length - 36 ft. Beam - 10 1/2 ft. Mean Draught - 3-6 ft. Tons 40.

EFCO was struck from the Navy list and returned to her owner, the Eastern Forwarding Company of Baltimore, Maryland, a subsidiary of the North German Lloyd Steamship Company, 7 October 1918.

EFCO'S subsequent post-war service and her fate is still unknown.

DANFS - Dictionary of American Fighting Ships, DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD -- District of Columbia -- USA

Gentlemen,

A few months ago I was going to start working on a set of blue prints for the U-Deutschland. I asked Claas if he could send me an email of his poster he had displayed earlier on this forum. When I got it, I realized what a treasure it was and that it needed to be fixed for historical conservation purposes. It just so happens that I had a copy of Photoshop. So I started working on it in the evenings when I got home from work. It took quite a bit of time, but I present to you the results.

Sincerely,
    Steve Zuke

P.S I can now go back to working on the blue prints. This will take a while, so don't hold your breath.

Here are a few photos concerning the U-Deutschland that I believe have not been posted yet. They're commerical photos included with the U.S. Army Signal Corps photo collection at NARA. The last shows the shed at New London under construction.

Howie: Thanks for posting your Grandfather's mementos. I am especially glad to see his Seefahrtsbuch which shows the degree to which the Germans went to conceal the fact that nearly all the enlisted crewmen were drawn from the ranks of the U-boat service. He earned the U-Boot-Kriegsabzeichen for his time in the front-line U-boats before and after his U-Deutschland service rather than for being a U-Deutschland crewman. Dwight

Page 61 of 121 FirstFirst ... 11 51 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 71 111 ... LastLast