Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 66 of 121 FirstFirst ... 16 56 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 76 116 ... LastLast

Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Article about: Steve: Thanks for the follow-up on Mont Alto. It looks like Prusse was probably the engineer superintendent of construction on both the Deutschland and the Bremen. His official designation i

Default Re: Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Steve: the photos in posts 609 and 617 were taken in Baltimore in July, several months before New London. The photo in post #648 above was taken in New London in November and the port side black apron is clearly there. The problem we have with many of the photos taken in the US and on her return up the Weser is that they have been heavily retouched, to the point that some don't look real, and certainly don't show the boat the way she actually looked. I don't think we have any photos taken after New London that would reflect the changes in the paint scheme you describe. Dwight

Bugger! I thought I was on to something. You can only glean so much information off of a black and white photograph.

Thanks for keeping the time line straight and me out of trouble.

Steve

Lightbulb View'g U-Deutschland - In a New Light That Is

Quote by Steve Zuke View Post
    You can only glean so much information off of a black and white photograph. Steve
    Indeed, this may forever be the case Steve. And the same goes for black vs. green when only black representations of a B&W image is ever the darker shade of pale. Throw in a touch of sunlight and the resultant glint become, more than ever, somewhat of a grey area.

May you all be blessed with a reflective and inspiring Easter Sunday!

Quote by drmessimer View Post
    There is a metal plaque being offered on ebay that I think is a fake. The price alone--$9.99--causes me to believe that. And it isn't shown in the John Bull Catalog. In addition, this one is pretty crude and appears to me to be made of lead or pweter. There are some small spots on it in various places that I think are supposed to represent rust, but I know from building models that virtually all metal can be treated with commercially produced agents that will cause it to turn different colors, and I suspect that was done on this plaque. This is the link to the auction site New Results. Dwight

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/e11021...E:B:SS:US:1123
    WW1 German Submarine Deutschland Siberia POW Ballast plaque paperweight

Attachment 489442

It just sold for $133.50. Anyone here get it?

Luke

Luke: Well, all that matters is that the buyer is happy. I still think it's a fake. Dwight

Hello Guys,

look a that nice box with the "faked lead paperweight".
    Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

I think, the lead paperweight is a later cast, may from New London. But it looks so bad. A lousy cast. Wrong material, but easy to use. And why the different text? Questions and more questions. But the biggest one: Why didn't I found the differens? I thing aI need glasses. Oh I have one...
    Mr. Hildebrand must be a man who could see the future in 1914...

I bought a lead paperweight (without a box) on ebay a couple of years ago for much less the actually auction. I has the same milling traces on the backside as every lead paperweight. So I think ther was only one cast mold of it.

Regards
    Claas

Claas,
    You are just to funny!! I damned near pissed myself I was laughing so hard.

Steve

Hello Guys,

Just reading the “Bremer Nachrichten”, a lokal newspaper. And what I read is a big sensation:

“Missed submarine found”
    "Today during dredging work in the port of Helgoland was discoverd an unarmed submarine form the first world war. A name plate at the bow of that u-boat said that it is the since 1916 missing trade submarine “Bremen”. An expert means that an accident with a mine layer u-boat caused an explosin wich sinks the Bremen. Because of the propaganda effect, it has been concealed the population and one later claimed that "U-Bremen" would be lost on their first trip. The “Bremen was a cargo carrying submarine like the U-Deutschland which made two trips to the USA in 1916. It was a mirricale what happed to U-Bremen. Now the u-boat, which is in very good condition should be raised and later transported to Bremerhaven for exhibition.”

Sorry for my lousy translation, but I'm so excited and it is shortly after midnight of the first April.

Best regards
    Claas

Claas: That's a very interesting; can you please send me a scan of the original article? Thanks. Dwight

Is this an April fools joke?

Luke

Page 66 of 121 FirstFirst ... 16 56 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 76 116 ... LastLast