Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 7 of 121 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 57 107 ... LastLast

Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Article about: Steve: Thanks for the follow-up on Mont Alto. It looks like Prusse was probably the engineer superintendent of construction on both the Deutschland and the Bremen. His official designation i

Default Re: Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Claas, You hope I enjoyed the pictures? I sure did after I picked myself up off of the floor and regained my composure. The photos are stunning and the subjects absolutely marvelous! I must admit, however, that I've already begun seeing the 1916 date and am wanting to change it to 1916-2016. I've already contacted G. Krug & Son Artist Wrought Iron Work about providing paper weights and they are receptive to the idea. There are so many 1916-2016 commemorative replicas we could offer centennial attendees and the anniversary supporters where ever that may berth.

Class: I'm truly envious of your collection. Fantastic. I have an extra Baltimore-made watch fob--the one that you don't have--which I will trade you if you have a duplicate of something in your clooection. Let me know. Dwight

Claas's collection humbles me, but I did find a few odds-and-ends in the garage. Here they are.
    This is a John Bull postcard that is a view of the the bottom of the U-Deutschland showing two of the six Kingston valves and the bilge rests to prevent rolling when resting on the bottom.

These are postcards published in the USA by the Reichsbund magazine, Vaterland. The membership Reichsbund pin is shown also.
    I think everyone has this postcard , published in Germany in 1916.
    This is truly impressive in that it represents the media coverage of the U-Deutschland's first visit to the US. I wish I could see this book "in the flesh," but sadly it was a victim of WWII. It was donated to the Royal Library in Berlin by the American chapters of the Deutschebund and Reichsbund. I ran across an interesting statistic yesterday, which was that in 1895, Chicago was "the third largest German city in the world." Obviously the Bund organizations were rather large then.

When König died in 1933 there was a memorial service for him in Baltimore. This is the program.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model  

Speaking of COOLections Dwight, I can't tell you, Claas, Luke and others, whose posts have contributed materially to warrelics.eu, how very much I appreciate being aboard via this U-DEUTSCHLAND thread.

Much like this site, in my adulthood I stumbled upon the story of this fantastic submarine freighter, not realizing that the July 1916 Baltimore Volksfest held in honor of the crew took place less than 500 yards from, and in sight of, my childhood bedroom window.

I realize after reading my last post to this thread how much it sounds like my having a trinket-mentality. However, I wish to explain that I too am only interested in developing tangible reminders of a memorable centennial of the U-DEUTSCHLAND, much like the 100 year old reminders you all have so selflessly shared with us other Cyber sailors.

Danke,
    STBaltimore

STBaltimore: It's nice to have you aboard. If there is anything I can do for you, please ask. Dwight

Hi again Dwight

Alas, all I can add to this splendid thread is my second postcard for the mighty U-Kreuzer Deutschland. I nearly burst into song when I saw it - New York, New York!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model  

WHW Meister: Wow! That's a great postcard. Where did you find it? Dwight

Hehehe! I have my sources

Ebay Germany

Damned, why did I not found this card
    I have to improve my search!!!

Dwight: Nice stuff you have.

I have the postcard "view of bottom", too. And a "not cut away"-version.

Regards
    Claas

P.S.: Dwight, I will see what I have in my collection to deal. But that will not be much.

Gents: I've never seen so many U-DEUTSCHLAND items (no pun intended)... surface on one site. Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model I feel as if I should be paying to take this course. What an education - by leaps and bounds!
    Last edited by STBaltimore; 02-16-2012 at 07:28 AM.

Page 7 of 121 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 57 107 ... LastLast