Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 71 of 121 FirstFirst ... 21 61 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 81 ... LastLast

Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Article about: Steve: Thanks for the follow-up on Mont Alto. It looks like Prusse was probably the engineer superintendent of construction on both the Deutschland and the Bremen. His official designation i

Default Re: Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

In an earlier post, I made the statement that on 10 July, Deputy Surveyor Guy W. Steele brought a friend, Ary J. Lamme, a stock broker aboard the boat during Steele's inspection. As such, Lamme was the only unauthorized person to get aboard the boat while she was in Baltimore. STBaltimore suggested that in fact there was another unauthorized visitor, which caused me to reconsider my original claim until I had more complete information. After piecing every bit of information I can find, I am still of the opinion that Lamme was the only unauthorized visitor. What I found might interest you.
    On Saturday 15 July, Lois Marshall, the wife of Vice President Thomas R. Marshall, and her parents, were the guests of Captain Hinsch aboard the Neckar. While the parents remained aboard the Neckar, Hinsch gave Mrs. Marshall a tour of the U-Deutschland inside and out. Lois Marshall was the only woman allowed aboard the boat while she was in Baltimore.
    On Sunday 16 July Captain König and his two watch officers hosted Senator Claude A. Swanson (VA) and his wife, Sen. William H. Thompson (KS), Sen. William Alden Smith (MI)and Congressman Sidney Mudd (MD). The guests had the opportunity to view the U-Deutschland from the vantage of the Neckar’s deck. Another group of senators, who refused to be identified, were allowed onto the pier alongside the U-Deutschland to view the boat at “close range.” But were not allowed to go aboard.
    On 27 July, a delegation of the Congressional Rivers and Harbors Committee arrived at the McLean Pier to have a look at the U-Deutschland. Rep. J. Charles Linthicum of Maryland was the group's leader, and with him were Senator Willard Saulsbury, Jr. of Delaware, Representatives Thomas W. Miller, of Delaware, J. Hampton Moore and Peter Costello of Pennsylvania, Henry Dupre of Louisiana, John Small of North Carolina, James A. Frear of Wisconsin, William Kettner of California, and George Hulbert of New York. They met with König and Hinsch at the front gate where König told them that no visitors were being admitted to the pier or aboard the U-boat, but if Hinsch agreed, they could go aboard the Neckar and look down from the rail. He then gestured to Hinsch who stepped forward and politely told them "No," explaining that he regretted the decision, but "circumstances would not allow it."
    This is an excerpt from the "Submarine Report" that Treasury Inspectors James J. Farrell and A. T. Rouse submitted on 3 August 1916. "The steamship people exercised extraordinary precautions to protect the vessel. She was screened on two sides by a warehouse, and on two sides by barges. The two entrances to the wharf were guarded by special watchmen under the strictest orders that, aside from Customs Officers, no one was allowed to pass through except on special permission of the Superintendent Captain F. Hinsch. In addition to this a special detail of Baltimore City policemen were on duty day and night."
    So, at this point, Lamme is still the record holder. However, if any of you come up with a name, date and source for another unauthorized visitor to the boat, I would greatly appreciate the information. Dwight

I just received this photo of Lois R. Marshall, the woman who went aboard the U-Deutschland in Baltimore. She was the wife of Vice President Thomas R. Marshall. Dwight

Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Hello all; I would like to share a link that has an on-line english version of " The Voyage of the Deutschland" by
    Captain Paul Konig.
    The voyage of the "Deutschland" : König, Paul, b. 1867 : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive
    I think this is really interesting. Hope you enjoy it too.

U99OTTO: Thanks for posting that link. I just took a look at it and was surprised to see that the book was published in London in 1917. I wonder why the publisher had a German language edition translated into English when he could have gotten all the copies of the Heast English language edition he wanted directly from Hearst. I also wonder how well it sold in the UK during the war. I would like to find an original copy for my collection. Dwight

Default To Be - Or Not To Be... That Is the Official Question

Sorry Dwight. I searched for that earlier post but didn't find it. My search feature said that a post had been deleted. Is this not so?

Quote by drmessimer View Post
    In an earlier post, I made the statement that on 10 July, Deputy Surveyor Guy W. Steele brought a friend, Ary J. Lamme, a stock broker aboard the boat during Steele's inspection. As such, Lamme was the only unauthorized person to get aboard the boat while she was in Baltimore...

After piecing every bit of information I can find, I am still of the opinion that Lamme was the only unauthorized visitor...

On Saturday 15 July, Lois Marshall, the wife of Vice President Thomas R. Marshall, and her parents, were the guests of Captain Hinsch aboard the Neckar. While the parents remained aboard the Neckar, Hinsch gave Mrs. Marshall a tour of the U-Deutschland inside and out...

Rep. J. Charles Linthicum of Maryland... Senator Willard Saulsbury, Jr. of Delaware, Representatives Thomas W. Miller, of Delaware, J. Hampton Moore and Peter Costello of Pennsylvania, Henry Dupre of Louisiana, John Small of North Carolina, James A. Frear of Wisconsin, William Kettner of California, and George Hulbert of New York... met with König and Hinsch at the front gate where König told them that no visitors were being admitted to the pier or aboard the U-boat...

So, at this point, Lamme is still the record holder. However, if any of you come up with a name, date and source for another unauthorized visitor to the boat, I would greatly appreciate the information. Dwight
    Correct me if I am wrong but I thought your earlier post wording hinted at persons on official business. Now it seems that official sightseers are being commingled with those having official business. Baltimore's Mayor Preston and German Ambassador Bernstorff made an official inspection visit - but they too were actually sightseers - officially authorized to come alongside aboard the S.T. BALTIMORE.

Regardless of how we slice it, someone in an official capacity had to authorize Ary J. Lamme, a stock broker, to board the U-DEUTSCHLAND or he would not have been permitted to step foot on the submersible freighter.

Didn't submarine inventor Simon Lake threaten to sue for patent infringements and was soon thereafter officially invited to inspect the interior spaces of U-DEUTSCHLAND?

Stockbroker, a Tinker, a Candle Stick Maker - All for a trade unterseeboot. >wink<

P.S. - Nice image of Lois R. Marshall. Appreciate all the ancillary schtuff too! It's what make this project come alive again.

Walt: That's an interesting question you raise regarding "authorized." Here is what was said about people going aboard the U-Deutschland:
    "No one can go aboard without authority" König, 10 July. Admittedly, this broad rule doesn't say by what authority, but the clear inference to be drawn is that the authority rests with the Hilkens, Hinsch, and König--and by extension Eyring and Krapohl acting in König's stead. But on the same day, Hilken said, "None, other than officials of the company and customs officials will be permitted on the submarine or the pier." It's clear that the pre-authorized groups are anyone employed by EFCO or DOR, and Customs officials. Anyone not included in either of those groups is unauthorized.

So, I guess it depends on how narrowly or broadly you apply the word "authorized." Paul Eyring certainly assumed that Lamme was authorized because he was with an authorized Customs official, but had Steele told Eyring that the man with him was only a friend, Eyring probably would have refused. So in the case of Lamme it is a matter of boarding under misrepresentation, rather than by authorization. Come to think of it, Billups Harris and Lieutenant Klein were by definition not authorized because Hilken's rule was "Company and Customs officials," a category that neither one fit into. So my count is now three unauthorized visitors.

But all the rest of the visitors, the politicians and their wives, including Mrs. Marshall, went aboard with the consent of, and accompanied by, Company officials, which constitutes tacit authorization by the governing authority.

Lake threatened to sue over patent infringement, but didn't. Instead he entered into an agreement with the Hilkens and NDL to build cargo submarines of Lake's design in the United States. The company would have been incorporated in the United States and the cargo submarines would have been U.S. flagged merchant vessels. Another account says that the boats would have been U.S. Flagged, but built for NDL. According to Norman Polmar in his book Cold War Submarines, the Bremen was carrying financial credits for Simon Lake to begin building cargo submarines. In a BI report dated 28 March 1917, William Leary said that Hilken had an option on property on Flushing Bay for the ship yard and was trying to raise $5,000 to close the deal. The whole thing never got beyond the talking and planning stages, and the whole issue became moot when the US entered the war.

You're right, there was a post deleted, and I wonder what it was and why. I think only moderators can delete a post; but what do I know? Thanks for raising an interesting point regarding authorization. Dwight

I'm not sure what the post was but is this what you mean?

Luke

03-19-2013, 05:15 AM
    STBaltimore
    Registered member
    This message has been deleted by Adrian.
    Reason
    Deleted at poster's request owing to copyright and inaccuracies.

Smile Re: Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Luke,

I had asked Adrian to remove a posting about the last days of the U-DEUTSCHLAND as requested by a kind researcher near Birkenhead, England who had produced it.

Seems that you can remove or edit your own individual postings, that is, up to a certain time, after which the post becomes quotable but not editable. Researching back postings of this thread has and will continue to be a pleasant odyssey for me.

Just thought I'd add the comment that I cherish my association with the posters of this thread.

Walt: I must of missed that post. Too bad you were asked to remove it. What a shame!

Luke

Page 71 of 121 FirstFirst ... 21 61 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 81 ... LastLast