Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 72 of 121 FirstFirst ... 22 62 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 82 ... LastLast

Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Article about: Steve: Thanks for the follow-up on Mont Alto. It looks like Prusse was probably the engineer superintendent of construction on both the Deutschland and the Bremen. His official designation i

Default Re: Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Alas! ... we put a link to the researcher's URL so that you can read it from their site.

Klasse, haben Sie eine sehr interessante Sammlung von WW1 u Boote.
    Ich bin in der U deutschland interesfed und freute sich, Ihre Seiten.
    danke
    U99OTTO

I found this newspaper photo in the State Department Records dealing with the U-Deutschland The clipping is among the letters that the State Department received during the time that the State Department and the Neutrality Board were trying to decide if the boat was a mercant vessel or a warship. In this case the San Francisco Call and Post was trying to pass this photo off as proving that the Deutschland was really a war submarine and not a merchantman. Obviously this is not the Deutschland, but the Call and Post readers did not know that. Anyway, I'm trying to identify the boat based on this newspaper photo. It might be the U-17 because of the pronounced chariot conning tower, but I'm not sure. Do any of you have a suggestion? Ooops. I forgot to add that this was published on 12 July 1916, so it has to be a boat that was in commission prior to that date. Dwight
    Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

?

Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and ModelHi Dwight,
    It's the U-47 and it appears they have reversed the original glass negative. Cheers Gary

Gary: Terrific! Thanks for that information. Dwight

Gentlemen,
    If you can give me an idea of where to look for the missing thread and what was in it, I may be able to find it. I printed out about the first 50 pages of the this forum last summer. I have been traveling a lot over the last few weeks and will post more soon.

Steve Zuke

Awhile back, STBaltimore mussed in post #648, "I'm having a few challenges...and could use a bit more help from knowing of any other firsthand accounts of U-Deutschland's paint scheme." I found these yesterday while organizing the chapter dealing with the boat's first homeward bound trip in August 1916. These excerpts underscore my conviction that nearly anything you read in the paper is simply there to fill the page. As a senior editor for the San Jose Mercury News told me and several others one evening over twenty years ago, "We aren't interested in accuracy, we just want something to put in our paper." It appears that the attitude is universal and has been for nearly a century. Anyway, here are the various color schemes as reported over a period of eighteen days. The sources are provided at the end of each entry.

Sunday 16 July: "No work done except painting the hull." ( Treasury Department, "Submarine Report, 3 August 1916," 763.72111D28/29)

In an article written on 17 July, the New York Times reported, "The giant submarine Deutschland is almost ready with her new battleship gray coat of paint" Two paragraphs later the reporter described the new paint job in somewhat different terms, " All day yesterday (16 July) painters were busy changing her general appearance so that she now resembled the color of the sea as nearly as possible. The upper portions of the vessel's sides which will protrude from the water when the ship is traveling on the surface, are painted to resemble sea waves. The bluish-green color of the waves on the vessel's sides are caped with white to resemble foam." ("Submarine Liner Prepares to Sail" NYT 18 July)

"Further to conceal the green deck with white sides of the undersea traveler, and to add to the mystery surrounding the preparations for her departure, officials have prevented reporters from using the high pile driver for an observatory." ("Subsea Trader's Dash is Delayed" NYT 21 July)

On 3 August, the Fort Wayne Sentinel described the paint scheme as, "The new sea green coat was acquired in the last few days. In irregular lines across the whaleback were streaks of dirty white and when the boat reaches the waters deep and green, it will be impossible to distinguish her once she submerges." ("Submarine Not Yet Sighted at the Capes," Fort Wane Sentinel 2 August)
    Dwight

While I was working on the VIP guest list for the dock-side reception for the Deutschland in Bremen on 24July 1916, I discovered that one of the mucky-mucks who sat in the front row was Magnus Freiherr von Braun whose oldest son was better known to the world as Wernher von Braun the rocket scientist. Add that little tid-bit to you store of worthless knowledge. Dwight

Here's another interesting item that turned up among the documents I going through. In November 1922, Horatio Bottomley was going through bankruptcy and at the time apparently still held title to whatever remained of the U-Deutschland/U-155. In late November 1922 the trustee in the bankruptcy ordered the boat broken up and sold. Whatever was sold went for a total of £100 and was bought by "marine stores dealers and souvenir hunters." Somewhere in the UK there are probably bits and pieces from the boat still extant, which would mean that there are relics out there that none of us have in our collections. I wonder where they are today? Dwight

If I may possibly change your conviction, viz:

Quote by drmessimer View Post
    A while back, STBaltimore mussed in post #648, "I'm having a few challenges...and could use a bit more help from knowing of any other firsthand accounts of U-Deutschland's paint scheme."

I found these [news accounts can be found in post number 717] yesterday while organizing the chapter dealing with the boat's first homeward bound trip in August 1916. These excerpts underscore my conviction that nearly anything you read in the paper is simply there to fill the page. As a senior editor for the San Jose Mercury News told me and several others one evening over twenty years ago, "We aren't interested in accuracy, we just want something to put in our paper." Dwight
    To:

“The German submarines carried plenty of paint, for they stopped and repainted to match the color tone of all the new seas they entered, gray in some, blue in others, etc.” Lieut. Karl W.A. Fruechte, Engineering Officer, U-DEUTSCHLAND - The Milwaukee Journal – Sunday, Feb 18, 1934 pg 9

I would be most gratified to know that I have helped in a small way to alter a somewhat narrow opinion of newspaper reporting. Are we to now be duty-bound to trust the musings of the San Jose Mercury News senior editor? I think not.

Page 72 of 121 FirstFirst ... 22 62 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 82 ... LastLast