Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 73 of 121 FirstFirst ... 23 63 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 83 ... LastLast

Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Article about: Steve: Thanks for the follow-up on Mont Alto. It looks like Prusse was probably the engineer superintendent of construction on both the Deutschland and the Bremen. His official designation i

Wink Re: Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Quote by drmessimer View Post
    While [researching] the VIP guest list for the dock-side reception for the Deutschland in Bremen on 24 July 1916, I discovered that one of the mucky-mucks who sat in the front row was Magnus Freiherr von Braun whose oldest son was better known to the world as Wernher von Braun the rocket scientist. Add that little tid-bit to you store of worthless knowledge. Dwight
    July 24th in Bremen? Must have been one of the longest receptions on record as the U-DEUTSCHLAND was 'as all the newspapers were reporting' still in Baltimore at that time.

Actually, for a somewhat different audience, knowing that Wernher von Braun's father was on the VIP list would more than likely be an interesting sidelight.

As James Burke, creator of the made-for-television scientific series "Connections" might have said with a smile, thanks for the tid-bit! We'll run with it.
    __________________________________________________ ________

DEUTSCHLAND GETS BACK.

ARRIVAL AT BREMEN AFTER THREE WEEKS' VOYAGE

COPENHAGEN, August 24.

The German'" submarine Deutschland, which left Baltimore, U.S.A., about August 1, has arrived at Bremen.

Source: Auckland Star, August 25th. 1916, Page 5

P.S. 'Am certain you meant 24 Aug. but couldn't resist the tweak. Please forgive.
    Last edited by STBaltimore; 05-12-2013 at 04:58 AM. Reason: 'Tweaking'

Default Re: Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

STBaltimore: You're right The correct date was 24 August. I had better check the manuscript too. I have been working in July for so long that it has become second nature to just plug it in anywhere a date is needed. Dwight

STBaltimore: Well, you proved my point about the unreliability of the Press with regard to accuracy with regard to, "Lieut. Karl W.A. Fruechte, Engineering Officer, U-DEUTSCHLAND...." The Deutschland's Leitende Ingenieur (Chief Engineer) was O. Klees on both trips. In fact, there wasn't a Fruechte listed as a crew member, nor was there anyone in the crew whose last name started with the letter "F." And there was only one U-Deutschland. Maybe the guy was on the U-155, but he would have been rated as a Leitende Ingenieur (Chief Engineer) rather than a watch officer's rank such as Lieutenant. Dwight

Dwight,

We really have to be careful how we state our facts. In my post number Post No. 720 I never said that Lieut. Karl Fruechte was the 'chief' engineer. I said he was reported as an engineering officer. The article I referred to was published in 1934 after Karl had become an American citizen.

However, since you did bring up the question of Fruechte serving with the crew of U-DEUTSCHLAND, I've included another article you may wish to know about, and would be a little closer to the time in question:

CREW FEAR U-BOAT’S FATE. – Men Ask Prayers for Their Safety of Friends in Baltimore

BALTIMORE, July 19 – …

Some of the crew have openly expressed this feeling to friends on Locust Point, near where their laden craft [U-DEUTSCHLAND] is moored. They have told these same friends that Captain Paul Koenig, the daring commander of the submersible, is doing everything in his power to keep up their spirits and to make them look on the bright side of the affair, but the men cannot see this side of the venture.

“We are praying every night, and are getting our friends to pray for us,” Second Engineer Karl Fruechte told a friend he had been spending his evenings with since the crew have been granted shore leave. This same friend today told the story of the crew’s fear to THE TIMES correspondent, not knowing at the time he was talking with a newspaper man.

Source: The New York Times July 20th 1916 pgs 1 and 3.

The above being said, did O. Klee's name (as stated in your post 723) also have an "H" in it as this is the letter shown ahead of the last name of Klees on the second image below page 112 of Voyage of the DEUTSCHLAND, a 1917 edition

Quote by drmessimer View Post
    The Deutschland's Leitende Ingenieur (Chief Engineer) was O. Klees on both trips. In fact, there wasn't a Fruechte listed as a crew member Dwight
    Please click link below and slip into Captain Koenig's narative below page 112:

Voyage of the Deutschland, the first merchant submarine - Paul König - Google Books

STBaltimore: I could not agree with you more that we "really have to be careful how we state our facts." The fact remains that there was no one in the Deutschland's crew named Karl W.A. Fruechte, and no one with a last name that started with the letter "F." The only engineering officer in the engine room crew was Klees--all the others assigned to the engine room were enlisted men. And Klees was not a lieutenant or any other watch officer rank, he was a Leitende Ingenieur, which translates as the equivalent of Leading or Chief engineeer. Clearly, the reporter got it wrong, which underscores my point that reporters make little or no attempt to fact check, being happy to just have something to put in the paper. And I have another thought about that article; where on a WWI U-boat, a vessel that was critically short of space, would they find room for the dozens of cans of paint needed to repaint the boat multiple times at sea? Even in WWII they stored food in the head and slept in hot berths, some of which were literally under and over torpedoes. Dwight

Exclamation Re: Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Dwight,

What an honor to be a cyber associate of yours. It goes without saying (though I just will anyway) that the rest of us feel quite privileged to be a part of the U-DEUTSCHLAND thread you began some time back.

New sets of eyes bearing on our target subject can only yield additional re-discoveries. As a case in point, you recently wrote H. Klees as O. Klees. Mistakes will happen. So too did someone mus-identify a hand-written signature in posting Number 83. A man's hand-written signature can be very tricky to decipher.

If you observe the image below, especially the signature at position No. 20. Trüchte, K [Machinist], I now strongly suggest that it ought to read: Früchte, K , as in Karl Fruechte.

See how simple that was to correct? We didn't need a staff of newspaper reporters to assist us either!

Is it possible that Karl W.A. Fruechte rose to the rank of Lieutenant on the U-155, hence his post-war rank as indicated in the 1934 newspaper article?

Now we can all sit back and take a breath and chalk up another re-discovery.

With Warm Regards,
    Last edited by STBaltimore; 05-13-2013 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Added additional text plus image of crew from post 83

Dwight,
    As far as carrying paint is concerned, the U-Deutschland was a cargo ship and could fit more equipment. I think what might have been meant was that their U-155 carried the corresponding paint for its patrol area, and not a the wide selection as implied. However, I would think they would paint it in Germany and not on the open seas. I think we need to keep our eyes open for additional information on this topic.

The whole accuracy topic of the newspaper reports does seem to muddy the waters.

Best wishes,
    Steve

Zuke, Sorry you couldn't make it to Baltimore for the Inaugural Maritime Expo and Career Fair, held in conjunction with National Maritime Day. This first-time event was a stunning success, and, for those of us who know the ever-surfacing story of U-DEUTSCHLAND, we could just gaze across and down stream of our pier location and know that it was in July of 1916 at Quarantine Point where Captain Koenig and the crew of the 1st submarine to solo the Atlantic dropped anchor at voyage-end.

We hope to see many of you at the Port of Baltimore this September for the 80th anniversary observance of the passing of Captain Koenig.

Thumbs up U-Boot Skipper Paul Koenig to Visit Washington DC - July 1916

Capt. Koenig, of the German merchant submarine Deutschland, will probably visit Washington Friday or Saturday. This was announced yesterday by Gus Buchholtz, who has been host to the various groups of sailors of the underwater craft who have visited the Capital. Mr. Buckholtz extended the invitation to the captain and was told that the visit would probably be made on one of the two days mentioned.

Three more of the crew of the Deutschland came over to this city yesterday for a sightseeing trip, arriving at 1 o’clock. There visit was cu short, however, by a message that they were needed for work on the boat. They motored back to Baltimore at 3:30.

An entertainment for the men which was to have been given at the Saengerbund Hall last night was called off. The three visitors were Karl Fruechte, Otto Wegener and Hans Kissling. All are members of the engine crew.

Source: Wash. DC Newspapers July 18, 1916

What is exceptionally interesting, in my opinion, is that the engine room crewmen listed above – Fruechte, Wegener and Kissling are shown as No’s 20, 7 and 19 respectively and they are all standing together in group shot taken aboard the SS NECKAR. Doubly noteworthy is that the newspaper lists Kissling with the first name of Hans.

In post 83, Dwight had identified Machinist Kissling and labeled his first name initial with a red “O” – indicating a probable name but still with a bit of uncertainty. Like was mentioned in a previous post, a man’s signature can be rather tough to decipher. Kissling has a first name - but it isn't easy to read.

Now we know from the article above that one of the possible names for Kissling is Hans. Karl (actually W.A. Karl) Früchte (Fruechte) and Hans Kissling - what else can we find out about you? Did you both remain pards with Otto Wegener once the armistice was signed on November 11th 1918? Did you go your separate ways? Or were you all still assigned to the U155 as it was being prepared for delivery to British authorities?

Exclamation Re: Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

DEUTSCHLAND BIDS U.S. ADIEU: NOW ON HER WAY
    Baltimore – August 1 [an excerpt]

“The U-boat was painted sea green. This was done during the last few days. In irregular lines across the boat[‘]s back were lines of a dirty white and when the boat reaches the spot where the waters are deep and green it will be impossible to distinguish her once she submerges. When seen a few days ago the craft was painted a steel gray.”

Source: Petersburg [VA] Daily Progress, August 2, 1916, pg. 1.

Page 73 of 121 FirstFirst ... 23 63 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 83 ... LastLast