Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 74 of 121 FirstFirst ... 24 64 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 84 ... LastLast

Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Article about: Steve: Thanks for the follow-up on Mont Alto. It looks like Prusse was probably the engineer superintendent of construction on both the Deutschland and the Bremen. His official designation i

Default U-Deutschland Skipper to be Honored

Hope Adrian didn't kick all of you off of the forum and forget to tell me he did it. Then again I would hate to see this thread turned into the STBaltimore Show. But now that I have the floor (or deck as it may be), please allow me to offer the following:

As part of its annual recognition of maritime pioneers, the Baltimore & Chesapeake Steamboat Company (B&CSC) will be sponsoring an invitation-only memorial gathering at the Port of Baltimore for U-DEUTSCHLAND's Captain Paul Lebrecht Koenig.

This will be an 80th anniversary observance for Captain Koenig, his passing occurred on September 8, 1933. The German Society of Maryland, founded in 1783, is co-sponsoring the event, which will occur on the afternoon of Sunday, September 15, 2013.

The memorial concert and service will be conducted at a location, special in its own right and in view of the anchorage where the World's first merchant submarine first dropped her hook.

Baltimore is believed to have been one of only two cities outside of Germany that observed Koenig's death. The other site was also in the United States, that being New York City.

Those interested in attending this special September 15th remembrance are asked to contact the B&CSC at: hawseline@gmail.com Space is limited so early requests are advised.

The Baltimore and Chesapeake Steamboat Company preserves, interprets, and supports industrial maritime heritage efforts within the Port of Baltimore & the Chesapeake Bay Region. All donations are tax deductible to the full extent of the law.

B&CSC
    Post Office Box 9690
    Baldwin, Maryland, 21013 - USA
    Check memo should read - U-DEUTSCHLAND

Default Re: Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

I came across these photos taken in New London, which I don't think any of us have seen before. According to the accompanying story, a photographer, Eddie Jackson, paddled around the Willehad's bow in a canoe, and shot this photo through the opening between the ship's hull and the floating fence that that was moored across the entrance to the Deutschland's berth. Crewmen aboard the Willehad reportedly ran Jackson off by throwing boards and planks down on him. In the lower right corner of the upper photo you can see some of the boards that have just recently hit, and disturbed, the water, which indicates that Jackson was so close to the Willehad's hull that the men on the deck could not get a clear shot at him. You can see the opening through which the photo was taken just to the left of the Willehad's bow in the lower photo. The long building on the Deutschland's port side is the EFCO warehouse that was built between 16 and 23 August 1916 on the State Pier. The three-story building with the American flag on it is the EFCO office, with the wagon gate immediately to its right. The only time the public could get even a glimpse of the Deutschland was whenever this gate was opened to admit horse-drawn wagons to make deliveries or leave the pier. The building off the Deutschland's starboard bow is the small warehouse that EFCO also built in August 1916. The Willehad was brought down from Boston where she was interned, and arrived in New London on 24 August. Dwight

?

Now, thats dedication on the photogs part. Great pics. Thanks for posting.

Very nice discovery, Dwight! I'm glad Mr. Jackson risked his well-being to get these photos.

Luke

I know you guys have seen these before and I'm sure one of them is already posted somewhere in here. These are a couple of my favorite crew photos.

Luke

Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and ModelCargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Hello everyone,

Found this on ebay Antique Vintage Brass Candlesticks German Metal | eBay

Nice candelsticks from "Dwights catalog"

I have them so feel free to bid ;-)

Regards
    Claas

Thumbs up

You are a real Schtinnnnker too Claas I do hope that you will be the successful bidder. Otherwise, it will be quite difficult to live with the one who out-bid you... right Dwight?

Great cyber scouting Claas! We hope for some good close up images when the candle sticks eventually find their new home.
    Last edited by STBaltimore; 08-03-2013 at 03:33 PM.

Claas: Thanks for the heads-up and great to hear from you.
    Anyone going to bid on these? Good luck!

Luke

Exclamation

Quote by drmessimer View Post
    ... photos taken in New London... The three-story building with the American flag on it is the EFCO office, with the wagon gate immediately to its right. The only time the public could get even a glimpse of the Deutschland was whenever this gate was opened to admit horse-drawn wagons to make deliveries or leave the pier.
    Great image views Dwight. The only possible exceptions I could take to your description would be that:

1. the 'pair' or double gates would also have admitted horseless carriages and rail road cars (as seen in the image itself), and,

2. the flag is a bit too obscure for me to say that it is the flag of the United States. The Norddeutscher Lloyd is so similar that I'd have to hold my comment until a stiff breeze removed all doubt.

Then again, some newspaper reporter at the time, trying to flesh out his wordage may have described/identified the fluttering banner in his article.

By Jove! What a thread this has turned out to be. And the hits just keep on coming!

Recently Claas posted a link to an Ebay auction of two brass candle sticks that were made from brass taken from the Deutschland/U-155. Luke had given me a heads up a day earlier, and I got them through a private transaction with the seller. Here is a photo of one of the candle sticks that is now in my collection.
    At the beginning of this thread I posted the medals that I have in my collection that are examples of the medals given to the Deutschland crewmen when they returned to Germany in August 1916. In the post, I said that the lowest award given was the Prussian General Honor Decoration in Silver and Bronze
    (Preußen Allgemeine Ehrenzeichen in Silber und Bronz). That is wrong. The award given most of the crewman was the Order of the red Eagle Medallion in silver and gold (Rote-Adler Orden Medaille) as shown below. I discovered the error recently while working on a revision of my book, The Merchant U-Boat, which I hope to have ready to submit to a publisher in October. The error in the first book was due to relying on a press account of the awards which described the crew awards as, "General Decoration in silver and bronze." Dwight

Page 74 of 121 FirstFirst ... 24 64 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 84 ... LastLast