Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 8 of 121 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 58 108 ... LastLast

Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Article about: Steve: Thanks for the follow-up on Mont Alto. It looks like Prusse was probably the engineer superintendent of construction on both the Deutschland and the Bremen. His official designation i

Default Re: Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

STBaltimore: That's a nice looking medallion. What's the history behind it? For example, when was it struck and where did you find it? I see al this stuff that other people have and I wonder, "why them and not I?" Obviously, it's the luck of the draw and being in the right place at the right time. It seems that our colleagues in the UK and Europe have the edge on us in the US because there seems to be so much more U-Deutschland stuff available there. Thanks for adding that medallion to the thread. Dwight

Just wanted to say what a great thread this is. Very interesting.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

I actually posted this on another thread, but since it has not made an appearance here, I'll post it again. I'm sure it's not that rare a postcard, but still an interesting one.

U-Kreuzer Deutschland Baltimore Harbor 1916

Last edited by Troy Tempest; 02-16-2012 at 01:25 AM.

Quote by STBaltimore View Post
    Gents: I've never seen so much U-DEUTSCHLAND items (no pun intended)... surface on one site. Attachment 307232 I feel as if I should be paying to take this course. What an education - by leaps and bounds!
    I couldn't agree more, STBaltimore. Fantastic thread! There's so much information here.

Luke

Attachment 307349Ersten Amerikafahrt des Handels Unterseebootes Deutschland [The First Trip to America by the Submarine Deutschland], 1916, an iron medal designed by B.H. Mayer, with bust of Kapitän Paul König three-quarters to the right, reverse shows the submarine freighter in foreground, white cliffs of Dover are seen behind.

Dwight --- I do not personally own the medallion but I've been informed that a friend of mine has a number of mementos his relatives had obtained for donating sizable sums to the Red Cross relief fund in 1916. I will keep you all posted.

STBaltimore

What's with the giant hand coming out of the cloud?

STBaltimore: Could you, please, post whatever is written on the back side of the coin? The writng in the posted picture is too small for my old eyes. I think that will give us a clue as to what the claw-like hand coming out of the clouds signifies. Thanks. Dwight

Hi Guys, if you double click on the pics, they enlarge.

The Giant hand has "England" written on the sleeve coming over what I suspect is the white cliffs of Dover? The legend on the back reads: Zur ersten Amerika farht des handels Unterseebootes Deutschland. Followed by the dates in Roman numerals.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

The reverse of the B.H. Mayer coin shows the freighter submarine in foreground, white cliffs of Dover behind, and the mysterious large hand issuing from the clouds above is depicted as attempting to catch the submersible. Remember, by its ability to 'freely' move about the waters as it pleased, U-DEUTSCHLAND was challenging Britain's status as Mistress of the Seas. On the wrap around shirt cuff of Britain's grasping hand, in capital letters that are read upside down, is the beginning of the word ENGLAND

The legend below reads: V. 23. VI. - 10. VII - 1. VIII. - 22. VIII. 1916 = Voyage 23rd June to 10th of July - 1st of August to 22nd of August of 1916

As mentioned above, the larger point type on the reverse of the coin reads:

"Ersten Amerikafahrt des Handels Unterseebootes Deutschland [The First Trip to America by the Submarine Deutschland]"
    Last edited by STBaltimore; 02-16-2012 at 07:45 PM. Reason: correction & addition in italics

Hello U-Deutschland-Fans,

I want to give the thread a little more width ...
    Here is a folding postcard. The signatures are unfortunately only printed.

Regards
    Claas

Page 8 of 121 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 58 108 ... LastLast