Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 89 of 121 FirstFirst ... 39 79 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 99 ... LastLast

Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Article about: Steve: Thanks for the follow-up on Mont Alto. It looks like Prusse was probably the engineer superintendent of construction on both the Deutschland and the Bremen. His official designation i

Dwight,

Thank you for the answer on the stern tubes. So, if I get this right she did have 8 tubes (if she had some type of bow tubes) on her first war cruse. I wonder if anyone knows off the top of their head if there were any other U-boats or submarines with as many torpedo tubes.

As far as the grab-holds are concerned, we figured out sometime ago that the U-Deutschland had grab-holds cut into its side sometime after returning to Germany from Baltimore. The way that we could tell the difference between the U-Deutschland and the U-Bremen photographs is that the U-Deutschland’s grab-holds were bigger, poorly cut, and badly aligned.

I am off to bed. Goodnight all.

Steve

Steve: U-155 had six torpedo tubes on her first war patrol; two foward on the port side, two forward on the starboard side one aft on the port side and one aft on the starboard side. All six were mounted outside the pressure hull below the tank deck and exited through the casing above the water line and near the 150mm guns. They were so-called "lattice" mounts that were angled outboard 15 degrees. They could only be reloaded when the boat was surfaced. Dwight

Earlier I posted a group of photos that illustrate the security set up in New London. This is a single photo that illustrates the security set up in Baltimore. In both cities the purpose was to prevent the public from actually being able to see the Deutschland in her berth. I have no idea as to what that did to make the boat more secure, but Hinsch and Hilken thought that hiding the boat from view was a necessity. THe barge rafted up to the Deutschland is the George May. In the background is the SS Nekar. The photo clearly shows that the west side of the berth was vulnerable as evidenced by the crowd of viewers in the foreground.

I used this photo in The Merchant U-Boat, but that print came from the National Archives. This digital copy came from the Library of Congress and was made from the original glass negative, which makes this example much sharper and better detailed than the NARA copy. Dwight

New U-DEUTSCHLAND Medal Is Revealed!

Captain Paul Koenig and sixteen of his crew members spent time at Cannstatter’s Park, situated in the southwestern suburbs of Baltimore, on July 22nd, 1916. They arrived in a special car [streetcar/trolley], and were met at the gates by automobiles. The impromptu gathering was to be the last of the volksfests or picnics of the German and Austro-Hungarian Red Cross for the 1916 summer season.

A committee presenting the men with badges, from which hung little miniature submarines, modeled after the DEUTSCHLAND. From the periscopes flew little silk American flags.

Anyone ever seen one of these badge/medals? Howie? Mind asking your family members about the one your grandfather may have gotten? Incidentally, Cannstatter Park was just off of Frederick avenue and west of Gwynns Falls Park -- but a stones throw from where you currently reside.

Hello STBaltimore,

maybe it is this one:

But it dosen't looks like a sub...
    The medals belongs to Karl Pickert and he was not on the first trip.

Regards
    Claas

This is the final update and correction to the medals that were awarded to the Deutschland crew and the civilians who had roles in the cargo U-boat project, 1915-1917. Because the Germans wanted to maintain the image of the Cargo U-Boat program as an all-civilian, private capital venture, the awards were, with one exception, authorized for both military and civilians. The higher awards were for commissioned officers or civilians who were considered to be of (relatively) equal rank with a commissioned officer. The medals for enlisted men were also authorized for military personnel and low-ranking civilians. The medals awarded in descending order were:
    Paul König received the highest award, the Ritterkreuz mit Schwertern des Hausordens Hohenzollern. The swords were and addition that was generally given only to serving officers.
    Alfred Lohamnn received the Preussen königliche Kronenordern 2. Kl. without the star.
    Ist Officer Franz Krapohl, 2nd Officer Paul Eyring, Leitender Ingenieur H. Klees, Oberingenieur Rudolf Erbach, and Dr. Ingenieur Hans Techel received the Preußen Kronenordern 4. Kl.
    Henry Hilken, Paul G. L. Hilken, Capt. Friederich Hinsch, and Lademeister Wilhelm Karl Ferdinand Prusse received the Preussen Rote Adlerordern 4. Kl.
    All the Deutschland's enlisted crewmen received the Preussen Rote Adlerordern Medaille in Gold. Since 1908, this relatively small medal was only made with a gilding coating. In 1916 there was no silver medallion in this order, so the entire crew received it in gold. I am grateful to Andreas (HPL2008) and Howie for helping me correct my earlier error in which I said that both silver and gold medallions were awarded based on rank. Dwight

Luke (medecide00) sent me this Souvenir of U-155 Ex Deutschland, My guess is these flyers were handed out to paying customers while the boat was on display at St. Katherine Dock in December 1918. The price of admittance was six pence.
    The back page has these two photos, the lower one of which is of most interest to me. The statement, "Note the small button on the front of some of the men's caps, denoting that they have made three voyages in a submarine." They all look to me to be wearing the black-white-red Kokarde. Do any of you have any information on this business of a special 3-voyage cap badge?
    The inside page provides these two drawings that show the boat's layout and armament. The U-155 was the only one of the Deutschland-class U-Cruisers that did not mount two 88 mm guns in addition to the two 150 mm main battery. The upper drawing shows the workshop in the port quarter. It It might have been better described as a "machine shop" since it featured two drill presses, a milling machine, and a six-inch lathe. Dwight

Quote by UBremen View Post
    Hello STBaltimore,

maybe it is this one:

But it dosen't looks like a sub...
    The medals belongs to Karl Pickert and he was not on the first trip.

Regards
    Claas
    Oh, oh, Claas,

of course was Pickert on the first trip. Did you not made your homeworks?

Regards
    Claas

Luke (medecide00) and I got lucky and hit the jackpot on a guy who was selling off his Deutschland artifacts. We divided the trove and these are the two items I got. Dwight

I scored this set of four napkin rings, each one in perfect shape

Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and ModelCargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model
    This is the harder to find version of the two ballast pendants. The Baltimore artist, Hans Schuler, Sr. designed it and Interboro Badge & medal Co, in New York City die stamped it for the American Committee for the Relief of the Prisoners of War in Siberia, which was a wartime charity headquartered in New York City.

This brass tilting table is also a recent acquisition that I found on British Ebay for an unbelievably low price.

Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and ModelHere's the items that I was lucky enough to pick up. Many thanks to Dwight for the heads-up on this one.

Luke

Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and ModelCargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and ModelCargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Page 89 of 121 FirstFirst ... 39 79 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 99 ... LastLast