Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 9 of 121 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 59 109 ... LastLast

Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Article about: Steve: Thanks for the follow-up on Mont Alto. It looks like Prusse was probably the engineer superintendent of construction on both the Deutschland and the Bremen. His official designation i

Default Re: Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Very nice, Claas. Out of all of your U-Deutschland things do you have any signatures of the crew?

Luke

Hello Luke,

only a few from Paul König.

Regards,

Claas

Thanks to Ade and STBaltimore for the added information on the coin. Here is a postcard that also provides the names of the crewmembers. Below the postcard is a list of the crew names referenced to the numbers on the postcard. It has been my intention for a long time to track down the names and see how many of them were lost on other U-boats during the war. It's one of those jobs I still have to get around to. Most of the U-Deutschland crewmen remained aboard after her conversion to U-155, but there was a substantial number who went to other boats. For those of you whom it might help, I have the casualty lists, by individual boat, for all the U-boats that were lost in WWI. Dwight

Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Crewmen in the Photo:
    01. König, Paul L. [Captain]
    02. Krapohl, Franz [1st Officer]
    03. Eyring, Emil [2nd Officer]
    04. Klees, H. [Chief Engineer]
    05. Stuck, Aldolf [Steward]
    06. Kessels, W. [Proviantmeister]
    07. Wegener, Otto [Machinist]
    08. Tscherner, Bruno [Mechanic]
    09. Obeiter, Wilhelm [Mechanic]
    10. Schneider, E. [Mechanic]
    11. Schwarzschild, Ludwig [Mechanic]
    12. Mitterer, E. (Edward?)
    13. Steen, Karl [Mechanic]
    14. Nagel, G. [Machinist’s Mate]
    15. Mühle, Hans
    16. Höfelsmann, H. [Machinist’s Mate]
    17. Humke, Fritz [ABS]
    18. Hultsh, Erhard [Machinist’s Mate]
    19. Kissling, O. [Machinist]
    20. Trüchte, K [Machinist]
    21. Born, Anton [ABS]
    22. Pickert, Karl [ABS]
    23. Nacken, E. [ABS]
    24. Albers, Albert [Machinist’s Mate]
    25. Zimmer, R. [Machinist’s Mate]
    26. Simon, T. [Cook]
    27. Müller, Wilhelm [ABS]
    28. Geilenfeld, Arthur [Radioman]

Not in the photo:
    Prusse, K. (Loadmaster; was carried as “supercargo”)
    Schultz, Paul (Replaced Prusse on 2nd trip)

Two names from the list provided by the Marinekameradschaft Schönebeck described as possibly on board per Skowronnek:
    Kuehle, N. (Probably Hans Mühle)
    Wettner, V. (Probably E. Mitterer)

Heading out to the Baltimore City Archive this morning where many intriguing leads might be lying, shall we say -- just beneath the surface.

Hello everyone,

this postcard shows Paul König and his original signature:

on the back his has written

And this postcard shows the receipt of the crew in Bremen.
    In the right is the parliament building to see which was destroyed during the second worldwar. In front of it is an orchestra and a chorus. In the background you can see the crew on the balcony of the Town Hall.

Reagards
    Claas

STBaltimore: Let us know what you turn up at the archives. Claas: That's a really terrific postcard. I have been looking for a god photo of the hat badge for the Deutsche Reederei, and there is is. I wonder if there are any still around? Good post! Dwight

Yes, a cap badge would be a great discovery.

Quote by STBaltimore View Post
    Claas, You hope I enjoyed the pictures? I sure did after I picked myself up off of the floor and regained my composure. The photos are stunning and the subjects absolutely marvelous! I must admit, however, that I've already begun seeing the 1916 date and am wanting to change it to 1916-2016. I've already contacted G. Krug & Son Artist Wrought Iron Work about providing paper weights and they are receptive to the idea. There are so many 1916-2016 commemorative replicas we could offer centennial attendees and the anniversary supporters where ever that may berth.
    STBaltimore: If you do contact this company, please let us know what you find out. Thanks. Dwight

I do have information on what happened to Paul König, Franz Krapohl, and Emil Eyring. Paul König returned to active service in the Kaiserlice-Marine and commanded a succession of four auxiliary minesweepers and the a half-flotilla of minesweepers. After the war he returned to Norddeutsche Lloyd where be became a division director and finally the Chief Clerk. He made a poorly-attended speaking tour in the United States in 1931-32, and died on 8 September 1932. Franz Krapohl also returned to active duty in the Navy and was sent to U-boat pre-command school in October 1917. During the remainder of the war he command UB-92 and the U-52. Between the wars he worked for Norddeutsche Llyod until he was recalled to active duty in 1939. He command the 12,000 ton supply ship, Ermland that supplied the Scharnhorst (25 December 1940-4 January 1941) and on 27 May 1941 was dispatched to tow in the damaged Bismark. When the Bismark sank, Krapohl returned to port. On 1 April 1945 he took command of the supply ship Franken and sailed to Gotenhafen to take aboard refugees and soldiers who were fleeing from the Russian advance. On 8 April 1945, the Franken was attacked by Russian bombers. A direct hit broke the ship in two taking most of the crew, including Krapohl, down with her. Emil Eyring also returned to active duty with the Navy, commanding minesweepers. After the war he became a Bremen police officer, joining the NSDAP in 1930. In 1934 he became a member of the Allgemeine SS, and during the war he was a Luftwaffe captain commanding an anti-aircraft battery in Hamburg. I don't know what became of him from that point. Dwight

Quote by drmessimer View Post
    ... He made a poorly-attended speaking tour in the United States in 1931-32...Dwight
    Here is a picture:

The text on the backside says:
    "Capt. Paul Koenig, former commander of the German submarine Deutschland, who, with his daughter, known on the British stage as Ann Muncaster, is on a lecture tour of the United States. He is now head of the nautical department of the Norddeutscher Lloyd in Bremen. They were photographed on their recent arrival in New York."

The daughter's real name was Mary. The ship arrived on athursday and it was the S.S. Europa. I don't no the exact date of the photograph. Did anyone know more about Ann Muncaster?

Regards
    Claas

Page 9 of 121 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 59 109 ... LastLast