Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 95 of 121 FirstFirst ... 45 85 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 105 ... LastLast

Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Article about: Steve: Thanks for the follow-up on Mont Alto. It looks like Prusse was probably the engineer superintendent of construction on both the Deutschland and the Bremen. His official designation i

Hello Simon. Welcome to the forum!
    Would you happen to have any photos of these items that you could post here?
    Thank you.

Luke

simon1965
    ?

Quote by rogge16 View Post
    Hello Simon. Welcome to the forum!
    Would you happen to have any photos of these items that you could post here?
    Thank you.

Luke

Hi Luke, thanks for the welcome. This is the only photo I currently have. It was given to my great great aunt by a sailor Dave Jones from Welshpool, sadly i do not remember the name of the ship he served on but she was the one who captured U155.
    This has always been a favourite possession of mine but until lending it to a Great War exhibition and the interest it has received I thought it to be of little significance. It appears from this great thread that there is nothing much left of this boat.
    Cheers, Simon.
    Last edited by simon1965; 12-28-2014 at 10:38 AM.

Simon, Not only are there not many items left of U-155, a.k.a. U-DEUTSCHLAND, I don't know of anyone here who has discovered any dismantling images (accident-related or not). We can only assume that images of the submersible's interior were taken.

You, in fact, may wish to consider conducting a scouting mission to see if such images and maybe even more artifacts exist. Here's a link that could definitely be a helpful lead: Explosion on the submarine Deutschland in dry dock 1921

Good Hunting!

Default Hansa haus

HANSA HAUS

The near structure, looking south on Charles street in the City of Baltimore, USA, has been replaced by an elevated parking lot. The former 1907 Savings Bank of Baltimore building was recently offered for sale as an "Iconic HQ Site." The quaint smallish building, just beyond the colonnaded bank, is the 1914 Hansa Haus, erected in cooperation with steamship agents A. Schumacher & Co, and the North German Lloyd Lines. Less than three months after the above image was taken, the world would be electrified by the first solo crossing of a submarine, a subsea merchant freighter at that. July 7.8.9 and 10 2016 will be set aside at the Port of Baltimore to mark the centennial of U-DEUTSCHLAND. Those interested in assisting with this non-profit maritime pioneering event are asked to reply in-kind or PM me for more information. Like the great escape artist, Harry Houdini, the cargo-carrying U-DEUTSCHLAND became adapt at effecting great escapes, just beyond America's three mile limit.
    __________________________________________________ _____

Here is an excerpt from the MD Historical Library about the photo event, "... the world famous magician Harry Houdini dazzled a crowd of 50,000 with one of his signature death-defying escape acts. On April 26, 1916, Houdini freed himself from a straitjacket as he dangled upside down, sixty feet above the sidewalk from a cornice of The Sun newspaper building in Baltimore. City police officers had lashed his arms to his sides in the straitjacket as tightly as they could. At 12:15 p.m., he began to wriggle free.

Houdini told The Sun newspaper that he suspected his performance would take about fifteen minutes to complete. The policemen who were chosen to participate bragged that their handiwork would be the first to hold the wily magician. Much to the onlookers’ amazement and to the chagrin of the officers, Houdini divested himself of the straitjacket in just over three minutes. He dropped the restrictive garment to the ground and took a bow, while still hanging inverted above a massive gathering of spectators.

Our thanks to Frank Bittner who shared Jimbo Woodrow Buckler's post on a Baltimore Facebook page.
    Last edited by STBaltimore; 03-04-2015 at 03:14 AM.

Default St Katharine Docks, London

Quote by STBaltimore View Post
    Any idea where, in early post-war England, this image of the U-155 (earlier U-DEUTSCHLAND) might have been taken?

Can you tell that the rear of the turret (conning tower) had been somewhat widened from its original freighter configuration to allow for easy passage from the main deck up into the sail's interior space?
    This photo was taken in St Katharine Docks, London. The docks are next to Tower Bridge and the Tower of London and are now a tourist attraction, I only wish the u-boat were still there.

Nice angle on the then-and-now images Rudolph.

U-DEUTSCHLAND may be no more but somewhere in the vastness of the Atlantic Ocean silently reposes the U-BREMEN, awaiting her re-discovery.

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi

I think somewhere on this thread something was mentioned once about the medallions in the U-Deutschland/König crosses. I saw these on ebay the other day and thought it was worth posting here.

Luke

Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and ModelCargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Default Collection Additions

Luke: That's a terrific find and certainly answers the question about the coin embedded in the cross. That's a really nice addition to your collection. Keeping to the theme, I have some newly acquired additions to my collection that I would like to show. The first up is this John Bull match case.
    The second is this cased presentation cast iron cross. I do not know which organization put this together, but my guess is that it was the Verein für Deutschtum im Ausland (VDA), Baltimore Chapter, since that group actually owned all those crosses. The first photo shows the closed case and the second shows the cross in the case. The age is apparent from the stain left by the EK on the inside of the case lid.
    The third is my current collection of the medals awarded to the U-Deutschland crew and others who were involved in the cargo submarine project. The top left is the Knight's Cross of the Hohenzollern House Order that went to Paul Kõnig; Next row, L-R are Order of the Red Eagle, 4th Cl, Prussian Royal Order Cross, 2nd Cl., and the Prussian Royal Order 4th Cl. The bottom row are the Order of the Red Eagle Medallion, the Order of the Crown Medallion, and the Prussian General Honor Award. I am lacking only the Prussian Service Cross in Silver that went to the three engine room mates. If anyone knows where one is for sale, please let me know. Dwight
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model  

Hey Dwight. Those are some great additions to your collection!
    Unfortunately I didn't get the Deutschland coins.

Luke

I found these on U.S. Ebay described as cufflinks. But I think they are actually lapel buttons. I have heard that lapel buttons were among the things that Interbororo Badge and medal Company made, together with the larger oval pendants, from the U-Deutschland cast-iron ballast, but I have not heard a mention of cufflinks. These measure ¾” X ½” (20mm X 13mm). The soldering joint for the button on the back is very tight and clean, and was obviously done by a professional jeweler. in any event, cufflinks or lapel buttons, I am very pleased to have them in my collection. Dwight
    [CENTER]Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model
    [/Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and ModelCENTER]
    [CENTER][/Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and ModelCENTER]

Page 95 of 121 FirstFirst ... 45 85 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 105 ... LastLast