Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Commemorative medal?

Article about: A friend got this from an old German family in Namibia (S.W.A), but we are unsure as to what this really is. It is a hollow stamped metal that is either silver or silver coated with no marki

Default Commemorative medal?

A friend got this from an old German family in Namibia (S.W.A), but we are unsure as to what this really is. It is a hollow stamped metal that is either silver or silver coated with no markings on the rear. The front only has the engraving in the center, "II Ritter 1912". The ribbon looks to be the one from the Honour Cross so maybe added to "complete" the medal. Could anyone please tell us what this is? Thank you.
    Tom
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Commemorative medal?  

Default Re: Commemorative medal?

Hi StuG III, this is definitely not an officially produced medal, and my view is that it is a locally produced item, given its origin of location (in 1912, German South West Africa), by local ex-pats/military personel, for presentation in a social event, such as a riding event etc, 'Ritter' = Rider/Knight / Chivalrous. Hope this helps.

Thanks mate! This is what we thought, but when unsure ask. I suppose there were similar types of awards made like this in Germany as well seeing as a lot of veterans did not get official medals/awards.
    Tom

Tom, thats right, wether wartime, interwar or postwar them Germans love their tinnies !

So I assume that one cannot really expect to pay too much for this?
    What would you be willing to pay, if I may ask?
    Tom

Tom, Imperial items allways difficult to asses, unlike Third Reich items (anything with a swastika) Imperial items are not as expensive, possibly a smaller circle of collectors (or not as infamous!), i would imagine approx £15-20 here in the U.K.

Thanks again! Will relay this info to my friend.
    Tom