Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Curious clip off of uniform or kit?

Article about: I am no collector of WW1 items and certainly surprised myself when I picked up a pair of WW1 helmets recently. With the M15 Adrian the seller included some odd bits and bobs and one of these

Default Curious clip off of uniform or kit?

I am no collector of WW1 items and certainly surprised myself when I picked up a pair of WW1 helmets recently. With the M15 Adrian the seller included some odd bits and bobs and one of these extra items is what I assume is a clip off of a uniform or section of kit of some sort. The 9 holes would make for some sturdy attachment to whatever it was a part of so I assume it was expected to carry some weight.

It was found in the region of Château-salins about 100km from Verdun. I think it is of brass construction but I don't want to polish it to find out, I like the mud remains and patina/rust.

I assume it's French? The twin tailed Lion must have a significance but as a non collector of such items I am in the dark on this.

Thanks in advance for any light that can be shone on this subject for me.

Looks like the belt hook off a German tunic to me. Although I have not seen one with a lion on. I have only seen them with a crown. Possibly it denotes a state?

Bohemia used a twin tailed Lion as its heraldic device, though that does not look exactly the same as this, but it could be an earlier version and is now used as part of the coat of arms of the Czech republic.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

I am seeing buttons with an identical lion listed as Bavarian on a number of sites.

Quote by Spitace41 View Post
    I am seeing buttons with an identical lion listed as Bavarian on a number of sites.
    One on this site listed as Bavarian circa 1880, though Bohemia and Bavaria were next to each other and the western part was populated by ethnic Germans and was annexed by the Nazi's as the Sudetenland.

Untitled Document
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Interesting comments guys, the twin tailed lion does seem to be a match as per Jerry's link. The same lion appears on Coburg's coat of arms. When time permits i'll try and research if any Bavarian Regiments fought around Château-salins.

Certainly a belt hook from a tunic IMO. Good luck with the research.

It certainly looks like the lion of Bohemia!...

And a bit more research has this pretty much pinned down as a rear tunic belt hook. Damn I love history!!

Specifically, its the left rear belt hook (taillenhaken) from a Bavarian Feldrock.

Bavaria had system that had to lions looking at each other on the Hooks in the back.

Here's a right one from my 1907 Bavarian 3rd Fuss artillirie Feldrock.

Joe Sweeney

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast