Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Das Eisernes Kreuz Der Zweiten klasse 1914 mit das Ehrenkreuz des Weltkriegs

Article about: Hi people ,Find attached some pictures of what i think is a nice Iron cross 2nd class 1914 mounted on a ribbon bar with a nice World war Honour cross (Hindenburg cross , is this the German o

Default Das Eisernes Kreuz Der Zweiten klasse 1914 mit das Ehrenkreuz des Weltkriegs

Hi people ,Find attached some pictures of what i think is a nice Iron cross 2nd class 1914 mounted on a ribbon bar with a nice World war Honour cross (Hindenburg cross , is this the German or Allied name for this i wonder?) I bought this off of Ebay a couple of years ago. Iron cross is marked on the ring with what i think is an "O" (Unknown maker) & the Honour cross is marked with ESL on the reverse for (i believe) Ernst Schnieder Ludenshied . As the Honour cross was the 1st award instituted by the Third Reich can i take it that the bar they are both mounted on is contempory to the 1930's or do you guys think it maybe post war hope you enjoy the pictures, Cheers Paul

Das Eisernes Kreuz Der Zweiten klasse 1914 mit das Ehrenkreuz des WeltkriegsDas Eisernes Kreuz Der Zweiten klasse 1914 mit das Ehrenkreuz des WeltkriegsDas Eisernes Kreuz Der Zweiten klasse 1914 mit das Ehrenkreuz des WeltkriegsDas Eisernes Kreuz Der Zweiten klasse 1914 mit das Ehrenkreuz des WeltkriegsDas Eisernes Kreuz Der Zweiten klasse 1914 mit das Ehrenkreuz des Weltkriegs

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Das Eisernes Kreuz Der Zweiten klasse 1914 mit das Ehrenkreuz des Weltkriegs
    P
    Many

Hello Paul,

A very nice medal bar. Crisp & clean ribbons, and excellent condition medals. Congratulations!

can i take it that the bar they are both mounted on is contempory to the 1930's
    Yes, collectors generally consider this type of medal bar to be contemporary to the 1930's. And with the D.R.G.M. marking on the backside of the bar, I believe it is acceptable to say that the actual physical metal bar itself (without the ribbons) may have been manufactured prior to introduction of the so-called Hindenburg Cross. In other words, I believe that an old stock hardware medal bar was used to make up this mount you own. It's pretty typical to see these D.R.G.M. marked metal bars used for mounts after the introduction of the Hindenburg Cross.

I think that the style of ribbon mount is also called a "southern mount", or in other words, "Bavarian-style" ribbon mount on the medal bar. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

My personal opinion is that it is a very attractive way to mount the ribbons on the bar.

Best Regards,

Alan

?

I have a déja vu, but this is another "O" cross in short period of time, that is in fact "G" cross, marked for Godet Berlin. In this case it is even clearer. I see G on 3rd and 4th photo without any doubt.

Cheers Miro, Godet would be cool ,have any of the Iron Cross experts any thoughts on the core style,type ? Cheers Paul

Quote by paulscoot View Post
    Hi people ,Find attached some pictures of what i think is a nice Iron cross 2nd class 1914 mounted on a ribbon bar with a nice World war Honour cross (Hindenburg cross , is this the German or Allied name for this i wonder?)
    "Hindenburg Cross" is a pure collector term, commonly used in the English-speaking world. It has found its way into German-language forums and shops as well, where it is used in the German version "Hindenburgkreuz".

(It is worth noting, by the way, that there actually was an entirely different decoration - an unofficial one awarded by the Preußischer Landeskriegerverband [Prussian State Veterans' Association] that was actually called Hindenburgkreuz.)

However, officially, the 1914/18 Honor Cross family was collectively referred to as Ehrenkreuz des Weltkrieges 1914/1918 [Honor Cross of the World War 1914/1918]; the one for combatants specifically- as seen here - was the Ehrenkreuz für Frontkämpfer [Honor Cross for Frontline Combatants], which is how it was referred to in period paperwork such as application forms and award documents.

Quote by ww1czechlegion View Post
    Yes, collectors generally consider this type of medal bar to be contemporary to the 1930's. And with the D.R.G.M. marking on the backside of the bar, I believe it is acceptable to say that the actual physical metal bar itself (without the ribbons) may have been manufactured prior to introduction of the so-called Hindenburg Cross. In other words, I believe that an old stock hardware medal bar was used to make up this mount you own. It's pretty typical to see these D.R.G.M. marked metal bars used for mounts after the introduction of the Hindenburg Cross.
    The abbreviation/mark "D.R.G.M." for "Deutsches Reichs-Gebrauchsmuster" [German Reichs Utility Model, i.e. a "petty patent"] was used from 1891 to 1945.

Quote by ww1czechlegion View Post
    I think that the style of ribbon mount is also called a "southern mount", or in other words, "Bavarian-style" ribbon mount on the medal bar. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
    That is correct. While it was not to be used for the decorations worn with the uniforms of active military personnel (although even that was not always obeyed), this traditional "Bavarian mount" was commercially available in the Third Reich era and quite popular with veterans from Southern Germany.
    Last edited by HPL2008; 03-03-2015 at 10:09 PM.

?

Quote by paulscoot View Post
    Cheers Miro, Godet would be cool ,have any of the Iron Cross experts any thoughts on the core style,type ? Cheers Paul
    Déja vu continues. Core is typical Godet - and frame as well. According to the condition and style, I would say this is late war (late ww1) Godet. The soldier/veteran probably decided to put his award piece on a medal bar.

Here are some pictures for comparison:
    Pic 1 - Early war EK2 single mounted Godet with sandcast core.

Pic 2 - Late war Godet EK1 with stamped core (as yours) and normal frame

Pic 3 - Postwar Godet EK2 with wider frame that was stamped from very worn frame die (beading is not so crisp as on late war piece).

Das Eisernes Kreuz Der Zweiten klasse 1914 mit das Ehrenkreuz des WeltkriegsDas Eisernes Kreuz Der Zweiten klasse 1914 mit das Ehrenkreuz des WeltkriegsDas Eisernes Kreuz Der Zweiten klasse 1914 mit das Ehrenkreuz des Weltkriegs

Thank you so much Gentlemen for your clear & concise replys , They serve to make this hobby all the more fascinating ,Thanks again Cheers Paul