Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Early attractive german tin hat any good tho??

Article about: Any opinions greatly appreciated, i have the opportunity of purchasing this but piece of mind as usual.. Thanks Rory

?

Default Early attractive german tin hat any good tho??

Any opinions greatly appreciated, i have the opportunity of purchasing this but piece of mind as usual.. Thanks Rory
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Early attractive german tin hat any good tho??   Early attractive german tin hat any good tho??  

Early attractive german tin hat any good tho??   Early attractive german tin hat any good tho??  

Early attractive german tin hat any good tho??  

?

It's a very nice looking pickelhaube. If you don't mind how much they asking . Gary

?

Hi Gary, there asking a couple of hundred ( uk pounds) helmets arent my thing., so if truth be told im being absolutely lazy and not even attempting to try and authenticate myself. Medals not a problem, but generally i know these can fetch 1000 plus?

?

A couple hundred isn't bad

When you said 'tin hat' I assumed it was a metal pickelhaube - which it obviously isn't. A couple of hundred quid would be a very good price. In this condition you would expect to pay at the very least 350.
    Author of... 'Belfast Diaries: A Gunner In Northern Ireland'... 'A Tough Nut To Crack: Andersonstown.. Voices From 9 Battery Royal Artillery In Northern Ireland'... 'An Accrington Pal: The Diaries of Pte Jack Smallshaw, September 1914 To March 1919'.... 'A Salford Pal: Pte Thomas Jay.'

?

Harry, thanks for the info! Honestly i never even noticed but now you say, certainly i see the cracking. From past experience i havent encountered fake imperial items as such. Would i be right to say theres nothing too much to worry about concerning authenticity? Or even mix matching?

On second thoughts this might be an aged repro., the liner looks a bit too good compared to the rest of the helmet. Try and get better pictures to be sure.
    Author of... 'Belfast Diaries: A Gunner In Northern Ireland'... 'A Tough Nut To Crack: Andersonstown.. Voices From 9 Battery Royal Artillery In Northern Ireland'... 'An Accrington Pal: The Diaries of Pte Jack Smallshaw, September 1914 To March 1919'.... 'A Salford Pal: Pte Thomas Jay.'

?

Need better photos, particularly of the back of the helmet (inside and out). Chinstrap in repro, liner appears to be replacement, plate is held on by split pins , pins for the spike look extra long to me. What material is the body of the helmet? The more I look at it the more I believe it to be an aged copy. Leather helmets should have the skin (smooth) side of the leather on the inside.

?

Just got these, a bit better thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Early attractive german tin hat any good tho??   Early attractive german tin hat any good tho??  

Early attractive german tin hat any good tho??   Early attractive german tin hat any good tho??  

I believe it to be a repro... the rear peak is the wrong shape, and the detailing on the wappen is poor. Give it a miss.

Cheers,
    Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast