Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse Ribbon - Which is Authentic (both?)

Article about: Dear fellow Members, For some time now I have been wondering if there is a truly certain way of discerning authentic from fake ribbons when it comes to WW1 and WW2 EK2s. There have been seve

?

Default Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse Ribbon - Which is Authentic (both?)

Dear fellow Members,

For some time now I have been wondering if there is a truly certain way of discerning authentic from fake ribbons when it comes to WW1 and WW2 EK2s.

There have been several posts with regards to tests that one can perform in order to distinguish authenticity (blacklight, to light up a tread of the ribbon, to rub the ribbon and see whether the touch is smooth or not etc.). From my perspective, none of these methods give me the feeling of certainty.

I am attaching one picture in this thread.

There are two different reportedly "Authentic" ribbons. I am not sure if one can notice it from the picture, but there are differences between the two. The main difference is the width. The bottom one (and most commonly seen) is 30mm, while the top one is 27mm and "looks" different.

Any ideas on the topic? Can anyone say which of the two ribbons are Authentic? none? both? why? Any rule of thumb to discern the replicas?

Thanks,

ManosEisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse Ribbon - Which is Authentic (both?)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse Ribbon - Which is Authentic (both?)
    P
    Many

Another test to try is the burn test. A thread from and old silk ribbon
    will burn and turn to ash while a man made thread will melt.

Just from looking at your picture, I like the bottom ribbon. The upper ribbon
    appears too "coarse". The treads seem to have an odd twist to them.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

?

Good day to you Manos. I have found this thread to be very useful when looking at my collection of medals, 'Ribbon authenticity guide'. I'm not sure how to paste the link in here but if you search Ribbon authenticity guide you will find it.
    I hope this helps along with Greg's suggestion as well.
    Wilko

Quote by Wilko View Post
    Good day to you Manos. I have found this thread to be very useful when looking at my collection of medals, 'Ribbon authenticity guide'.
    Wilko
    here is the link---
    Ribbon authenticity guide
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

?

Dear Friends,

Thank you for the posts and Wilko extra thanks to you for the link.

The upper ribbon belongs to an “R” EK2. The lower ribbon belongs to a “KO” EK2.

Both were advertised as original / authentic and I believe they both are after performing burn test on threads. Also the upper one which slightly narrower was also used for the repeat clasp to the iron cross.

More comments are always welcome and useful for us newcomers!

Best,

Manos

?

Can be obtained with ultraviolet light if the original strip is not lit.
    If the lights up, it means it is fake
    I think three centimeters should have at least 40-45 threads

?

Dear members,

I have another set of ribbons to show.

Please let me have your help and advise which ribbon is authentic. None, both or which one of the two.

The lower one is a bit wider in length, the white strip is a bit grayish in color but the threads have the characteristic loop on the side.

Many thanks in advance.

M

Manos,

If you get the chance, in addition to the burn test and other methods mentioned, invest in a black light so you can see how synthetic fibers glow...

Not the best photo but I did a black light test on a Ostmedialle (Eastern Front medal ribbon)

You can see how the white glows indicating a synthetic material...

I also have a Westwall medal that does the same with the ribbon. Medal itself is OK but a replacement post war ribbon was added...

Smitty
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse Ribbon - Which is Authentic (both?)   Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse Ribbon - Which is Authentic (both?)  

?

Does the black light test prove that the Ribbon on a EK2 WWI is not a replacement ribbon constructed in the, as example, 40s? Synthetic materials are only used in modern made ribbons which are pretty easy to spot.

I bet that ribbons have been produced in the 10s / 20s / 30s / 40s ... 2018 / 2019 etc. To my experience the ribbon originally used for WWI EK2s has certain specifications.

On the picture I uploaded yesterday, the ribbons are clearly not of the same kind.

Can anyone advise what the story is for the lower one which, compared to the upper one:

1. Is slightly wider
    2. Is more shiny
    3. The white stripe is grayish in color
    4. The cuts look too perfect for a WWI item
    5. Has less rows of thread per cm

On the other hand both ribbons pass the black light test and both have the distinctive scalloped weaves.

The fakes I have come across also tend to pull apart quite easily. A correct ribbon will resist gentle pressure.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse Ribbon - Which is Authentic (both?)   Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse Ribbon - Which is Authentic (both?)  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast