Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

EK1 Box

Article about: Hello guys, Just a question reference this box! I know it is a repro/copy. But I was wondering if there was such a real 1 like this? Did they issue them in this colour or was a private purch

?

Default EK1 Box

Hello guys, Just a question reference this box! I know it is a repro/copy. But I was wondering if there was such a real 1 like this? Did they issue them in this colour or was a private purchase or just a dreamed up item?? Thanks for your help. Terry.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture EK1 Box  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement EK1 Box
    P
    Many

Default Re: EK1 Box

Never seen anything like that before! Awful !

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Cheers Nick thats all I wanted to hear!!! no expert on this subject but learnning slowly lol Terry.

Agreed. That's more EEEKK! than EK1.....

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Hey Tango,

Typically the boxes EK1s were issued in were a standard black. Often they used a textured or embossed paper to give it the look of leather. However, when it came to private purchased cases, they came in every shape, size, and color you could imagine. There are some great Images in Stephen Previtera's The Iron Time. Most of the time the private purchased cases were larger than the standard issue. In a number of examples they contained multiple awards that a soldier had received. The more elaborate ones could have glass inserts to frame the medal, detailed metal work, or even exotic animal skins. The simpler private purchase cases usually came in a a larger boxes with the same leather looking paper in a variety of different colors, red, blue or black most commonly . I have seen a number of examples which are similar to the oak leaf patern you posted above. It is not one of the more rare boxes but you don't see them every day. I have never seen one that small though. The oak leaf pattern was printed on paper which was then used to wrap the box. In one case I have seen the oak leaves were printed on a felt like material. So in short, that pattern, or something very similar to it did exist in private purchase case.

I hope that helps,

All the best,

Jess

I agree with Jess.....this box was available at the time ! courtesy of your local jeweller....."Iron Time" by Stephen Previtera Is a must have, a great book !
    Prost ! Steve.

Hi tango, I have seen two of those cases and yes they are 1970s repos that never caught on.

Morris

Quote by KMMorris View Post
    Hi tango, I have seen two of those cases and yes they are 1970s repos that never caught on.

Morris
    It does have that 70's 'Laura Ashley' wallpaper look about it that's for sure....
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Thanks Jess & guys,that does help!! I was just wondering if my new WW1 EK1 that is on its way to me would look naff in the box!! or ok.. because I havent seen a WW1 EK1 in a box yet!! "mind I have stopped looking now I found 1 " without a box.. so its ever going in that box or none at all!! lol what you gentleman think?? Cheers Terry.

Personally I wouldn't put a cross in a repro box, but that's just me. Some people don't mind, which is perfectly fine as well. Its whatever floats your boat. And hey, if you don't like it or you decide to buy a nice original box later, you can always take it out. In the future, if you do decide to buy an empty EK1 presentation box to put it in, make sure it fits. Depending on the catch and pin assembly which come in a huge number of variations, they wont all fit depending on the box design. Enjoy your new EK1 when it arrives!

All the best,

Jess