Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

EK2 1914 ribbon help

Article about: Hello, received this medal ribbon in the mail and I think it's no good. The thread count in white row is too fine at 50-60 count. But has 45 ribs per 3 cm and 2 looped ends. The suspect phot

Default EK2 1914 ribbon help

Hello, received this medal ribbon in the mail and I think it's no good. The thread count in white row is too fine at 50-60 count. But has 45 ribs per 3 cm and 2 looped ends.

The suspect photo is on left and a WW1 ribbon bar piece on right. Ribbon bar is correct at 20 threads in white row and 42 ribs per 3 cm and 2 ends looped.

What you guys think?

Thanks
    Kelly
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture EK2 1914 ribbon help  

Default Re: EK2 1914 ribbon help

Hi, is it silk? Does it pass the 'blacklight' test?, Cheers, Richard.

Hello, it does feel silky and it passes the UV black light test and burn test. Only problem I have with it is the thread count and the fact that it is so excellent condition after 92 years. Threading is so small like 50-60 in white row. Should only be 20-25. Correct at 45 ribs per 3 cm. 2 sides looped. Width at 30 mm. I'm told it could be made up to 1950 as replacement ribbon. Others tell me it's just a very nice preserved WW1 ribbon. It came with a very nice Godet Ek2.

I just need confirmation that it could be WW1. Or someone else that has one and handled it and believes it to be WW1 etc. So far I have found no one.

Thanks
    Kelly

Full length 9 inch.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture EK2 1914 ribbon help  

Hi, I wouldn't get too tied up with the rib & thread count. I've got some ribbon that's silk & in mint condition. It may be post WW1. But my rule of thumb is, does it look good? If it's silk & it does then fine. Your ribbon looks ok to me. Have a look at the EK thread for examples of EK2 ribbons. https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/imper...rial-eks-8822/

Cheers,

Richard.

WW2headgearlover, i would agree with DUJAILAH on this one, if it passes the u/v and burn test and has the right feel, it would be good enough for me, there were many ribbon makers and one cant dismiss a ribbon because the number of ribs are not as regulations, regulations were blatently disregarded. If you are not happy, ill take it off your hands, no quibble !

During WW1 there was no central quality control body like the LDO in WW2. So ribbon & medal producers did as they wished to some extent. A good example of this is the vast array of differences to be found in EK1 & EK2 cores, Cheers, Richard.

Quote by DUJAILAH View Post
    During WW1 there was no central quality control body like the LDO in WW2. So ribbon & medal producers did as they wished to some extent. A good example of this is the vast array of differences to be found in EK1 & EK2 cores, Cheers, Richard.
    Thanks Richard and all for your information.

Kelly