Become our sponsor and display your banner here

"Elefantenordnen" pin

Article about: Hi all , I picked up this interesting pin today whilst rummaging through a box of junk at my local flea market. I had never heard of the order of the elephant or seen any images of it but th

Question "Elefantenordnen" pin

Hi all , I picked up this interesting pin today whilst rummaging through a box of junk at my local flea market.
    I had never heard of the order of the elephant or seen any images of it but this little pin just seemed to speak to me so i took a chance and bought it.
    So when i got home i hit the internet and finally found some information although the information is a little scarce it made for interesting reading.
    The order came about in 1921 and was awarded to everyone who had served for Germany in it's colonies during the 1st world war in total there were 8500 recipients.
    Has anyone else ever heard of this or even better does anybody have 1 that i can compare mine too?
    On the militaria lexikon it says that well known fakes can be I.D'd by the R and I in Afrika not lining up under the knot of the ribbon the picture the have of one is a fake so i still have no picture reference to go by.
    I'll post the link to the lexikon for you to have a look at and will also post a few of the pin that i purchased today.(The best I could do with my camera sorry)
    I hope I have struck lucky! LOL
    Thanks in advance for taking a look, for any further information and for any comments.

Kris...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	elephant1 006.JPG 
Views:	99 
Size:	116.5 KB 
ID:	135207   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	elephant1 007.JPG 
Views:	93 
Size:	129.8 KB 
ID:	135206  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	elephant1 011.JPG 
Views:	89 
Size:	120.2 KB 
ID:	135205   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	elephant1 010.JPG 
Views:	108 
Size:	130.1 KB 
ID:	135204  

Default Re: "Elefantenordnen" pin

sorry here is the link to the Militaria lexikon.

militaria-lexikon.de - Das deutsche Kolonialabzeichen von 1922 (sogenannter Elefantenorden)

The Script reads " Sudsee Afrika Kiautschou " Kiautschou was a Germany colony in China.

Kris ...

alpenfestung....nice rare badge/stickpin, heres a fullsize example followed by its "sister" award the "Lowen Orden" (Lion Order) for West Africa.
    Prost! Steve.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    "The German Army is the perfectly adapted, perfectly running Machine. The difference is that the Germans are organised with a view to War...with the cold, hard, practical and business-like purpose of winning victories."
    G.W. Steevens - The Daily Mail (1897)

Thanks Oradour.
    Do you know where I could find a picture of another stickpin like this to compare it too?
    From what i have to go by so far it feels good it has that certain something about it and has a good weight to it.
    I think i might of got myself a real bargain.

Kris...