Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

An ersatz pickelhaube

Article about: I just came across a rather interesting M95 Pickelhaube that seems to be an Ersatz. On the outside it looks like a standard leather helmet, cracked glazed surface, ect, but when you hold it

?

Default An ersatz pickelhaube

I just came across a rather interesting M95 Pickelhaube that seems to be an Ersatz. On the outside it looks like a standard leather helmet, cracked glazed surface, ect, but when you hold it it's obviously not, being slightly 'soft' (except at the front & visor, which are firm). Inside the shell is made from an orange coloured material that could be cork or a pressed fibre of some kind, though I think it's cork, with a rolled edge on the neckguard. The chinstrap lugs however are mounted on genuine black leather inserts stitched onto the helmet, clearly visible in the interior photo. Looks like the orange material was lacquered over to give the standard finish. Woodworm or some other type of boring beetles have been living in it at some stage, the interior having numerous little holes where they hatched out. All fittings good quality brass, cockades are repros but chinstrap is genuine. Inkstamped B.A. X, but can't make out the date. Apart from the slightly sunken crown and a few bug holes it's in excellent condition. First helmet of this type I've come across.
    Attached Images Attached Images An ersatz pickelhaube  An ersatz pickelhaube  An ersatz pickelhaube  An ersatz pickelhaube 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement An ersatz pickelhaube
    P
    Many

Default Re: An ersatz pickelhaube

It could well be a Filzhelme, a felt Ersatz Pickelhaube, some where indeed "lacquered" in Black (on the outside only), so originally it formed a hard shell...with age it has cracked and become pliable........
    Prost ! Steve.

?

Default Re: An ersatz pickelhaube

Hi Steve! Nice hearing from you. It seems that it is indeed a filz. I knew I'd seen something like that somewhere but couldn't think where. Then it came to me: Col. J's Musings article. Checked the article and sure enough there it was. Exact double of this one, black lacquered exterior, orange coloured felt with rolled edge neckguard, leather reinforcing inserts for the M91 posts, everything the same. Apart from the missing lining on mine it could be the same helmet! (Don't think it had bugs living in it though) At $150 I think it was a good deal, even without the liner, as it's in very good overall condition and there can't be all that many of these lacquered felt ones around. Must try the neckguard photo with false colour to see if I can make out the date and writing below the stamp. Again thanks for the contact. By the way, did you see my other felt, with metal headband, posted a little while back? Haven't got any feedback on that one, the only felt I've ever seen with an M16 style band, though not actually attatched to the liner.

All the best,

denton