Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ersatz Pickelhaube

Article about: Good evening everybody, I'm an italian collector and excuse me for my ''poor''english.This is my first post in this Forum, I haven't found a room to make presentation, so, before of pickel I

Default Ersatz Pickelhaube

Good evening everybody,
    I'm an italian collector and excuse me for my ''poor''english.This is my first post in this Forum, I haven't found a room to make presentation, so, before of pickel I'll tell you something about me.
    I'm an italian architect, 36 years old,I collect ww2 items since I was 18 and only two years ago ww1.Ive studied something about Pickelhaube but I need your help.
    A very close friend has given to me, as Christmas present, this pickel.I have doubts:
    1)The ''visor'', it seems too long and also the pickel seems tall.
    2)The ''liner'' has signs of sewing but it's fixed to the shell by a circular iron band as shown by the photo of interior.
    If you have solution to my question I'll be glad....also some information about ''good books''.
    Thank you for your helpfullness anyway.....
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ersatz Pickelhaube   Ersatz Pickelhaube  

Ersatz Pickelhaube   Ersatz Pickelhaube  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Ersatz Pickelhaube
    P
    Many

Another photo of interior where you can see the metal band......
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ersatz Pickelhaube  

Hi,
    Welcome to the forum.
    I am not an expert on these at all but I agree with
    you in that the visor does look long. The shape of
    the helmet just seems a bit "off" to me.

I am sure the helmet experts will join in soon.

regards,
    Greg
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

There were an enormous number of variations to the ersatz pickelhauben or fitzhaube as they were known. The metal strengthener band is normal and a sometimes seen addition that was used to try to give the helmets some bit of shaping and strenthening value. It actually looks like your liner Is attached to the helmet walls but the strengthening band is set low inside near the lip of the wall and only Seems to be installing the liner. It certainly isn't Hurting it, in any case and is just fine. Is the front visor edge rolled and stitched or did it once have a metal edging on it, or was it made this way with nothing visible? In any of the cases, these helmets came with, without, rolled and stitched and also raw edged. These felt helmets were introduced to make use of the extensive Hat industry resources in Germany at the time and so there are endless variations to be found. Unfortunately, they proved to be absolutely worthless for any bit of protection from shrapnel and such and resulted in a huge number of head injuries. They were Not well liked, obviously, by the soldiers who had to wear them.

About the only question I would have about your fitzhaube is that the front plate looks to have been voraciously over-cleaned. That, or it may possibly be a reproduction to replace a once lost plate. It is difficult to tell from the photos. It is, naturally, missing it's adjustable black leather chinstrap, but good reproduction aged straps are available if you should wish to install one. The slight variation of the visor size is nothing to be overly concerned with either. It is fine.

And, by the way, Welcome to the Forum! There is an endless amount of knowledge and expertise here to help all collectors-from the novice to the advanced. We much look forward to hearing about and seeing your collecting finds! If ever you have a doubt about an item-Post Photos here First before you purchase and we can help you avoid the fakes and the frauds out there!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Dear Chopperman and Wagriff,

thank you for the precious information.About the front plate I can say yo're right, it seems to be cleaned or residuos of something.It's not rolled edge,but the profile of the visor has signs of metal reinforcement....now missing.I know photos are ugly....I have only the phone camera.....but definitely what do you think, it's a fake?Excuse me If I ask so but my english it's not perfect and may be I didn't understood.Tell me without problems......it's a present...I haven't buyed it.
    About the front plate (wappen?)...see new photo
    I red that to recognize a fake wappen it helps the amount of details in the retro part.....I say that here the retro and the front part have the same details...very detailed....but in the retro there is a White residuos of something....(??)
    I know about two sites in internet where to learn about pickelhaube...but some good book?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ersatz Pickelhaube   Ersatz Pickelhaube  

Ersatz Pickelhaube  

Hard to tell on the plate, but I still believe that the helmet itself is good.
    William

Gentlemen, nothing wrong with either the Wappen (front plate) or the Pickelhaube, and the spike and base are the correct shape, just a variation from one of the many makers of these helmets, IMO it is all original............the combinations of variants is many, with and without stiffener's, in brass, phosphated grey finish, neusilber finishes or combinations of all finishes...they were intended to be a stop gap item, and when adequate supplies of leather Pickelhaubes resumed they were relegated to second/third line troops and finally held back at garrison.
    Prost ! Steve.

Good news.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

thank you everybody.....Chopperman, Wagriff and Oradour too who have contribuited to solve my doubts,as I told you first it's a few time I study ww1 items.....it's a good point where begin.....now I ask again only one thing : good books about pickel....in english too....thank you again friends and best wishes for a happy new year.

Gabriele

To tell you the truth, I think that there is more good information to be gathered from online web sites on Pickelhauben rather than from books today. There are, of course, many books out there, but with new found information, unseen collections and discovered documents, for right now, the online info is actually better, in my opinion. You have an excellent gift for a helmet! Happy New Years to yourself too!
    William

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast