Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Ersatz Pickelhaube: unmarked J. Bambus & Company mfg

Article about: Hello, I received this helmet back in October as a birthday present from my wife. Unmarked inside the liner, with the typical folded edge to the felt body of the helmet as apparently only fo

Default Ersatz Pickelhaube: unmarked J. Bambus & Company mfg

Hello,

I received this helmet back in October as a birthday present from my wife.

Unmarked inside the liner, with the typical folded edge to the felt body of the helmet as apparently only found on the J. Bambus & Company manufactured helmets.

It came with the unusual "ersatz" chinstrap. The chinstrap appears to be made of felt with a black coated finish to the surface of the strap. It's in fragile condition, and I haven't looked at it or messed with it in fear of breaking it at the weak and partially torn sections of the chinstrap.

I added a set of original Kokarden to the helmet to complete it.

Looks like there is a name under the visor. Can anyone make it out?

Best Regards,

Alan

Ersatz Pickelhaube: unmarked J. Bambus & Company mfgErsatz Pickelhaube: unmarked J. Bambus & Company mfgErsatz Pickelhaube: unmarked J. Bambus & Company mfgErsatz Pickelhaube: unmarked J. Bambus & Company mfgErsatz Pickelhaube: unmarked J. Bambus & Company mfgErsatz Pickelhaube: unmarked J. Bambus & Company mfgErsatz Pickelhaube: unmarked J. Bambus & Company mfgErsatz Pickelhaube: unmarked J. Bambus & Company mfg

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Ersatz Pickelhaube: unmarked J. Bambus & Company mfg
    P
    Many

Hi Alan,
    That's a great gift from your lovely wife. Congrats.
    I can't help with the name other than Hans, but I'm sure you saw that.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

MAP
    ?

Great present and great wife (but you know that!)

Any...way playing with the colors, hue, staturation. At different levels I could make out different letters but not all at the same time. Would need to post 10 or so photos..

So, while there are still some letters I could not be sure of it appears to be Whille Hans.

For Whille -> the two "LL's" could be an "H" and the "H" could be something else.

For Hans -> it could also be Haus

Just a best guess.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Nice example!

Good to know that folded edges are only found on the Bambus & Co helmets. My own laquered ersatz example has no manufacturer stamp that I can see but the edge is clearly folded.

Ersatz Pickelhaube: unmarked J. Bambus & Company mfg

?

Like I said on GHW - A guess would be Hans Whille, with the sur name written above the first name.
    Regards,
    John

MAP
    ?

Quote by relicz View Post
    Like I said on GHW - A guess would be Hans Whille, with the sur name written above the first name.
    So my eyes are still ok.....getting harder every passing year. Lol!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thank you gentlemen for your very nice comments and for your help on the name in the helmet, I appreciate it!

Best Regards,

Alan