Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Estate sale M-16 Shell. Addressed and stamped.

Article about: Hello guys, Left work in the wee hours of the morning to hit an estate sale with a lot of interesting items. The others items I was able to obtain will be shown in a separate thread. This is

These old mail home helmets are pure museum pieces! Excellent find!

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Indeed, mm "W" is for "Hermann Weissenburger & Co" of Stuttgart-Canstatt, and they only made size 66 helmets !
    Prost 1 Steve.
    "The German Army is the perfectly adapted, perfectly running Machine. The difference is that the Germans are organised with a view to War...with the cold, hard, practical and business-like purpose of winning victories."
    G.W. Steevens - The Daily Mail (1897)

Thanks again to all. I haven't been able to pin down a date, as far as postage is concerned. The two cent stamps were used during the war from 1917-1919 or so. That's about all I got, but that's like figuring out a fire truck is red.

I wouldn't fret overly about the stamps. They are 95 year old paper that have been handled countless times, so it's only natural that they would not be legible anymore. They are of the period and certainly original so that's just fine.

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Awesome helmet, all mailed home items add and extra level of character to a relic. One of the only things better (IMO) are named pieces, especially to people that you know!

Here's a few close-ups of the label attached to my WW1 raw-edge Brodie. This was also America-bound. I've not included pictures of the helmet - it's been shown elsewhere. But I have often wondered if it was a battlefield pick-up, going off the information on the reverse of the address label. Does this museum still exist?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF5500.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	332.6 KB 
ID:	642966Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF5501.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	242.3 KB 
ID:	642967
    Books published to date... 'Belfast Diaries: A Gunner In Northern Ireland'... 'A Tough Nut To Crack - Andersonstown'... 'An Accrington Pal: The Diaries of Pte Jack Smallshaw, September 1914 To March 1919'.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12