Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

fake, aged pickelhaube sold as attic find.

Article about: Found on the net, for those who taught relics are not messed with!

Default fake, aged pickelhaube sold as attic find.

Found on the net, for those who taught relics are not messed with!
    Attached Images Attached Images fake, aged pickelhaube sold as attic find.  fake, aged pickelhaube sold as attic find.  fake, aged pickelhaube sold as attic find.  fake, aged pickelhaube sold as attic find.  fake, aged pickelhaube sold as attic find.  fake, aged pickelhaube sold as attic find.  fake, aged pickelhaube sold as attic find. 
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement fake, aged pickelhaube sold as attic find.
    P
    Many

Default Re: fake, aged pickelhaube sold as attic find.

At first glance all seems in order, but look deeper and you will discover anomalies....the liner is the big giveaway, ill fitting, no age & badly fitting, a recent Pickelhaube surfaced here on this site, that had the same badly made liner, with the same traits, that the member posting thought was genuine, being a bargain pub find !...however some of these 'aged repro's' are sometimes offered with the lining removed ! (there is a ready market for such 'relic haubes'), note the rear visor, too large, the rear brass spine has its ventilation slider set too far back almost on the back of the helmet, it should sit approx 19-20mm from the spike base, (with the vent closed) and the spine attachment stud on the rear visor far too long. However the spike assembly is rather good, its shape correct....which is unusual, but it has been known for correct assemblies to fitted to fakes, as they are still cheap and plentiful. Be careful out there !

Reg
    ?

Was still a bargain for a fiver! just shame it wasnt original

Cheers for posting the points to watch out for (no punn intended with piklehaubes) those liners seem to be the main giveaway on these repro's, now much warier thanks to you chaps.

Cheers
    Reg

Absolutely Reg....

Thise one is a better copy...
    Reproduction Pickelhaube Helmet

cheers
    |<ris

Quote by stuka f View Post
    Thise one is a better copy...
    Reproduction Pickelhaube Helmet
    GOOD GRIEF!!

I'm no expert, but some of those helmets are of a worryingly realistic appearance to me!

It depresses me to think in years to come these things may be easily passed off as the real deal. It feels as though the writing is on the wall to me, and that's s***...

Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Stuka f, same style of fake, only this time the vendor has tidied up the liner, a nip and cut job !....i have never seen a real Pickelhaube look like that, the ageing is chemical and it looks so obvious, even the spike is not the correct shape......and notice the vent on rear spine, too far back......Rubbish !......but i appreciate probably to the trained eye, that is why forums like this exist in order to exchange information and learn from each other, so in years to come young and old do not get bitten !

Hello Oradour, yes I saw it. Even the neck visor has been worked on to make it look better.
    Just came across these fellows, a very different style, if the helmets they show are replicas, they are very well made.
    French Helmets,Saxon Lion,Antique French Helmets,Saxon Lion Helmet,India

cheers
    |<ris

Stuka f, amazing workmanship.......i fancy the 'Garde du corps Eagle' and 'Saxon lion' !.....quick somebody slap me!!!!

?

Sorry guys, but for an experienced pickelhaube collector it's not so difficult to see that these are fakes... The big prolem is that people who know nothing (or just a little bit) about pickelhauben, but want to own one, are trapped because they don't have the knowledge to encounter the differences...
    It's obvious that the sellers of this rubbish only want to empty our pockets by selling worthless junk for big money! For me this is in fact a crime (nothing less) and these guys should be punnished for their criminal actions...
    Please don't misunderstand me, I've nothing against restoring or cleaning up a helmet... It's just those newly made replicas with the meaning of deceiving people that bother me so much. They are worth nothing now and they will be worth nothing in the future!
    I hope this will stop some day...

Best regards from Belgium,

Adler

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast