Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

FAKE ALERT: WW1 Gottieb Hammersfahr trench knife".

Article about: I picked this up over the weekend. I think it is a good knife with a repainted scabbard made by Gottlieb. I am not sure if the blade was blued or in the white. The black marks on near the cr

Default FAKE ALERT: WW1 Gottieb Hammersfahr trench knife".

I picked this up over the weekend. I think it is a good knife with a repainted scabbard made by Gottlieb. I am not sure if the blade was blued or in the white. The black marks on near the cross guard look like remnants of bluing but the blade does not appear to have been heavily cleaned. I also think that someone stained the leather not long ago. I would appreciate other opinions.
    John

FAKE ALERT: WW1 Gottieb Hammersfahr trench knife".FAKE ALERT: WW1 Gottieb Hammersfahr trench knife".FAKE ALERT: WW1 Gottieb Hammersfahr trench knife".FAKE ALERT: WW1 Gottieb Hammersfahr trench knife".FAKE ALERT: WW1 Gottieb Hammersfahr trench knife".FAKE ALERT: WW1 Gottieb Hammersfahr trench knife".FAKE ALERT: WW1 Gottieb Hammersfahr trench knife".

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement FAKE ALERT: WW1 Gottieb Hammersfahr trench knife".
    P
    Many

Looks good to me Rescue. A few of these fighting knives have shown up here recently by Puma I have noticed. Yours sure looks in good shape.

John, I have some bad news. This is another Indian fake Gottieb Hammesfahr. There are several threads on the subject. This one has had the scabbard painted, usually sold with "silver' finish. The obvious errors are makers mark on wrong side of blade, grips are a red hard wood, the grip diagonal cuts angle the wrong way.
    I would try to return it for a refund. These sell new for about $60. Attached is a photo of a real WW1 era Hammersfahr to compare with. Notice also the snap button.

But maybe you knew you were buying a replica.
    Last edited by Anderson; 11-07-2018 at 01:50 AM.

Thanks Anderson. I appreciate the info., albeit bad news. I bought thinking it was original. I will see the guy in a month or so at the October gun show. I think he will return it.
    John

Thanks mods for changing the title. Should be a good tool to identify future fakes of this model. I feel kind stupid since I even handled it prior to purchase.
    John

Quote by Anderson View Post
    John, I have some bad news. This is another Indian fake Gottieb Hammersfahr. There are several threads on the subject. This one has had the scabbard painted, usually sold with "silver' finish. The obvious errors are makers mark on wrong side of blade, grips are a red hard wood, the grip diagonal cuts angle the wrong way.
    I would try to return it for a refund. These sell new for about $60. Attached is a photo of a real WW1 era Hammersfahr to compare with. Notice also the snap button.
    Thanks to Anderson for the synopsis!

This item actually looks very much like so many Indian products which do tend to be churned out in backstreet workshops using less than modern techniques and materials which is why the eye used to the sophisticated computer controlled factory products is fooled into thinking they are decades old. Once you become accustomed to the general style it looks like it was made last week.

A useful point to note here is that the press stud / snap fastener carries the same design seen on TR German waterbottle covers the absence of which helps identify fakes there too.

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by rbminis; 10-04-2018 at 06:18 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

I'm hoping I can ruin the fake Gottieb Hammesfahr trench knife industry.

Here's a series of photos of new examples of this knife on sale today. This is what the con artist start with before working their patina magic. Taking a $60 knife to they hope a $300 knife. Never buy this make of WW1 trench knife without getting a second and third opinion.

FAKE ALERT: WW1 Gottieb Hammersfahr trench knife".FAKE ALERT: WW1 Gottieb Hammersfahr trench knife".FAKE ALERT: WW1 Gottieb Hammersfahr trench knife".
    Last edited by Anderson; 11-07-2018 at 01:49 AM.

Now lets see what the fraudsters turn these shiny reproductions into. A series of photos of six fake and aged "Gottieb Hammesfahr" knives.

FAKE ALERT: WW1 Gottieb Hammersfahr trench knife".FAKE ALERT: WW1 Gottieb Hammersfahr trench knife".FAKE ALERT: WW1 Gottieb Hammersfahr trench knife".FAKE ALERT: WW1 Gottieb Hammersfahr trench knife".FAKE ALERT: WW1 Gottieb Hammersfahr trench knife".FAKE ALERT: WW1 Gottieb Hammersfahr trench knife".

All bad. And not all from the same maker either. These have been faked since the 1970's.
    Last edited by Anderson; 11-07-2018 at 01:50 AM. Reason: more text

They use to train bank tellers how to identify counterfeit bank notes by making them spend hours staring at the real thing. Then they could spot a fake in an instant. Now let's bask in the beauty and quality of a genuine WW1 Gottieb Hammesfahr trench knife with thanks to Reibert.

FAKE ALERT: WW1 Gottieb Hammersfahr trench knife".FAKE ALERT: WW1 Gottieb Hammersfahr trench knife".FAKE ALERT: WW1 Gottieb Hammersfahr trench knife".FAKE ALERT: WW1 Gottieb Hammersfahr trench knife".FAKE ALERT: WW1 Gottieb Hammersfahr trench knife".FAKE ALERT: WW1 Gottieb Hammersfahr trench knife".

The difference between the genuine and fake is obvious if you study them. Notice also the Prym clasp button with the flower/snow flake image. All GH scabbards should have this button.
    Notice also the wood colour (Walnut) is lighter brown than the usual red wood of fakes. The 9 grip slats marks should angle away from the blade edge side. Often they slant the incorrect way on the fakes. some fakes have only 7 or 8 grooves.
    Scabbard hangers were much shorter than reproduction hangers, and a light brown leather and no decorative edging line.
    The fake hanger will show 3 rivets from the rear. On a real GH hanger you only see two rivets and the third is inside the hanger.
    Grip pins were always steel, some fakes use brass pins.
    When looking at the Gottieb Hammesfahr maker mark, the blade edge is always on the left hand side. Many fakes get this wrong, though some have it on the correct side.
    The crossbar or quillion on the fakes is often too thick.
    Last edited by Anderson; 11-07-2018 at 01:52 AM. Reason: spelling

let's look at those two back rivets. You usually never see this hollow type on the fakes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast