Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Feldpost to a Jasta (1918) - is it genuine?

Article about: Good Evening / Afternoon / Morning Ladies and Gentlemen I purchased this Feldpost letter a little while ago and it arrived during the course of the week. To be honest, I bought it on the spu

Default Feldpost to a Jasta (1918) - is it genuine?

Good Evening / Afternoon / Morning Ladies and Gentlemen

I purchased this Feldpost letter a little while ago and it arrived during the course of the week.

To be honest, I bought it on the spur of the moment and then only because it was aviation related. I know I should have received advice before the purchase, but...

The envelope is incredibly thin and genuinely looks and feels old. The graph paper is very fragile. However, I acknowledge that they could be distressed. It appears to have been stuck in an album.

The graph paper itself is relatively white - it appears quite yellow in the scans because I wanted the contrast.

Can anyone tell me if it's good or bad?

If it's bad, I'm a big boy and can handle it (I think ).

Many thanks and fingers and all other appendages crossed.

Tim
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Feldpost to a Jasta (1918) - is it genuine?   Feldpost to a Jasta (1918) - is it genuine?  

Feldpost to a Jasta (1918) - is it genuine?   Feldpost to a Jasta (1918) - is it genuine?  

I think it is fine. I have handled quite a few First World War period letters and, depending on how they have been kept over the years, some of the paper can be very crisp and clean. Sorry I cannot help to translate it. If you can find out what it says then that may narrow it down as I would imagine that if someone was going to fake a letter to such a degree then they would try to make it relate to a well known figure/ event. If the topic of the letter if fairly mundane then I would think it is good.

Many thanks for the reply.

I should have provided a tad more detail - sorry.

It was addressed to an Ernst Busch in Jasta 62.

I can tell you at the bottom left of the envelope it states: Did not return from a balloon attack.

I can also tell you that an Ernst Busch was born Nov 21, 1890 and was KIA at Montdidier Jun 28, 1918.

I am attempting to get the letter translated.

Cheers
    Tim

Nothing I see makes me doubt it's legitimacy. Looks like a fine and interesting WWI letter.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Well, I'm feeling a tad better than I was a little while ago.

Thanks people.