Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Firma c. G. Wilke

Article about: I recently obtained a Prussian felt helmet, with the label of the famous company C. G. WILKE, GUBEN, glued inside. I thought the history of this firm is most interesting, and for those who d

?

Default Firma c. G. Wilke

I recently obtained a Prussian felt helmet, with the label of the famous company C. G. WILKE, GUBEN, glued inside. I thought the history of this firm is most interesting, and for those who don't know here it is: Carl Gottlob Wilke, 1796-1875, founded his company in the town of Guben in 1822. Guben lies on the Neisse river in Brandenberg. He actually invented the process of making weather-resistant felt in 1850, and his company became the greatest hat maker in Germany, producing 65% of the demand for hats. High quality hats were exported and the town became known by the slogan Gubener Tuche, Gubener Hute - weltbekannt durch ihre Gute "Gubener Cloth, Gubener Hats - known worldwide by it's quality". During World War I the company produced felt helmets, and by the 1920's were a leading exporter of fedoras and bowlers to the United States. The wealthy people wore them, and the likes of Al Capone would have probably had a Wilke hat or two. The company was in buisness up to the end of World War II. So anybody with a felt helmet with the Wilke label not only has an interesting war relic but also an interesting bit of hat making history!

Default Re: Firma c. G. Wilke

Very interesting information. Thanks for posting it.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.