Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

First Post on WW I

Article about: This is my first WW I post and it is about a few Austrian Navy items

Pola KuK
    ?

Default First Post on WW I

This is my first WW I post and it is about a few Austrian Navy items
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture First Post on WW I  

Pola KuK
    ?

Default First Post, :Pt. II

Okay, I think I hve the hang of the way photos go on this forum.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture First Post on WW I   First Post on WW I  

First Post on WW I   First Post on WW I  

Default Re: First Post on WW I

Pola KuK, post more, i would like to know more, this a subject not usually discussed !...is the above photo an Austro-Hungarian Navy submarine? welcome to the WW1 forum.

Default Re: First Post, :Pt. II

Silly me i didnt notice your second post...please give some captions/explanations to the photo's.

I have merged both threads into one now for ease of viewing.

Welcome to the forum!

Cheers, Ade.

Default Re: First Post, :Pt. II

Hello Pola,
    Very interesting to me, I've not seen these submarine types before. Have you any more information?
    Many thanks,
    navyman.

Pola KuK
    ?

Okay, From the inscription on the back of the Sub shot, it is a German U Boat that put into the Pola Naval Base for supplies. The back says UB 51 but isn't clear if it stands for "U Boat 51" or U Boat Type UB 51. From what I can gather from the U Boat net, BOTH the U 51 and the UB 51 visited Pola. From this and the other photos of this incident, Emp. Karl came down to inspect the German Sub and it's crew.
    The other photo of what looks like subs are really Austrian Torpedo Boats. Also, many of the photos are official Austrian Staff Photos, not random snap shots or real photo postcards. You can tell by the negative number on the top of the print and the strange thin paper with a black border.
    I really like the set of three of an Austrian Torpedo Boat towing in a shot down Italian Airship. Ireally do not know what to call it since the Italians had developed a hybrid design that was half Blimp and half Derrigible.
    Hope this helps some. I have to look through the complete album again since there are 2 photos of Austrian Subs, one is a Holland Boat undergoing sea trial while the other is Capt. von Trapp's (The Sound Of Music) hybrid French Sub Hull with a German Conning Tower grafted on.