Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

First time Iron Cross buyer... have I been duped?

Article about: Hi guys, been browsing the forum for a while and recently decided to take the plunge and start joining in if you'll have me! Anyway, my sister is a huge history and WWI/II fanatic so a while

Dudley
    ?

Default First time Iron Cross buyer... have I been duped?

Hi guys, been browsing the forum for a while and recently decided to take the plunge and start joining in if you'll have me!

Anyway, my sister is a huge history and WWI/II fanatic so a while ago I had the idea of buying her an Iron Cross for her birthday, only I'm not 100% sure if what I've bought her is a genuine or a fake, I'm a little puzzled by certain parts of it to be honest, and was hoping you guys might be able to help me out.

Firstly, the core is magnetic (works with atleast some magnets) and the core has a bite of 'wiggle' to it. There appears to be seam to be running along the majority of the outside showing the 3 piece construction but it's a lot more visible on certain corners than others, is this normal?

What really concerns me though is that there is no proper suspension loop with any serial marker or engravings. Now I know not all do but this cross came with nothing on it at all other than the smaller loop, the larger loop is just something I added myself. In addition to this there is also a slight imperfection along one side of the cross (almost like a blister jutting out to the very top/side of the raised area) that's hard to photograph but can just vaguely be seen in this picture:

Also, there's a small amount of something green at the very top of it

So what do you chaps think; the real deal or should I just chalk this one up to a learning curve and hope for better next time?

2. # ADS

Default Re: First time Iron Cross buyer... have I been duped?

It looks fine to me. I think that the iron core was once rusted
    and this cross was cleaned at some point in it's life. Who ever
    did it, did a nice job.

Nothing wrong at all with this cross.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Yes OK........except for the modern jump ring that you said you added. Original would have looked like this.
    Attached Images Attached Images First time Iron Cross buyer... have I been duped? 
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

looks ok,green is corrosion.

?

Hi Dudley, welcome to the forum.

As mentioned before, you have bought an original cross. The movement on the core is completely normal, some move more than others. The seam might be more visible in certain places, again, nothing to worry about. I'm not sure what you mean about the 'blister' but it might very well be a die flaw, again, nothing to worry about and on occasion can be used to identify crosses.

The missing ribbon ring is a pain but as long as you didn't spend too much then it's neither here nor there.

I differ with Greg though, I would say the core is in it's natural state.

Of course, if your sister is a history and WW1/2 fanatic, what better way to say 'Happy Birthday' than by giving her a Gold Club membership of the forum..............!

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Welcome to the club!

Nice Kreuz! (Cross!) shame about the ribbon and ring, but nice start